title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monsterjazzlick
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jul 2017

Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Originally posted by Oggy

Karajan, is often called, simply Karajan, which is what I use, but ....

P.S. He was Austrian.
    Oggy,

I didn't realise that; however, I never gave it too much though. I just assumed he was German because he is so widely associated as being the definitive Conductor of Beethoven's large scale works.

So would you omit the 'von' and just tag as:
    CONDUCTOR = Herbert Karajan

CONDUCTORSORT = Karajan, Herbert

btw - he is also known by the nickname: 'Herbie von Superstar' (due to the immensity of his talent)!

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-06-2018, 10:44 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Oggy
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Apr 2015

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
      Hi JH,

That's great, cheers.

I had not thought of doing that, actually.

Yes, I can see the potential for confusion now that you have explained it!

If you own any CLASSICAL (esp. Beethoven), then you will be familiar with the world class German Conductor: Herbert von Karajan.

He is the Conductor on all of my Beethoven symphony recordings. And so you would append as follows?:
      von Karajan, Herbert

I plan to use the CONDUCTOR tags on my CLASSICALs.

I am not sure if the 'von' is a middle name or not? It's very common in Dutch names, as you will be aware.

Cheers,

Paul
      Paul,

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20180306-224958.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	90.4 KB
ID:	293859

Don't know if this helps, but here are some of my Beethoven / Karajan.

Comment

• Jailhouse
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Sep 2016

Oggy,

I didn't realise that; however, I never gave it too much though. I just assumed he was German because he is so widely associated as being the definitive Conductor of Beethoven's large scale works.
        It's an easy mistake to make. Austria is, after all, a German-speaking country.
        Last edited by Jailhouse; 03-06-2018, 10:56 PM. Reason: Missing word

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Jailhouse
          This is tricky. In some online articles he is referred to as "von Karajan," and in others simply "Karajan." This is different to Ludwig von Beethoven, who is most always referred to as "Beethoven." If I were using a CONDUCTORSORT tag, I would go with Karajan, Herbert von, (and Beethoven, Ludwig von for COMPOSERSORT), since "von" isn't really a name per se.* Than again, in Karajan's case, if he's generally called "von Karajan," I would tag him as you did above. This may come down to personal preference.

* The "von" in German names translates to "from." ("Von" doesn't translate to anything in Dutch; you're thinking of "Van" [or "van"], which also means "from.")
          Cheers JH,

That's really interesting.

I think in Dutch, you can find: ' van den Berg' and 'van de Valk', etc. I am no expert though, it is just something I have noticed in WWII documentaries I have watched (I love the 'PBS America cable channel!). Ditto for the likes of 'von Karajan' (in regards to Germany/Austria).

Anyway, I view 'HvK' WITH having the 'von' (personally I have never heard him [IIRC] being referred to as just 'Karjan'); but that is, of course, not saying that anyone (on here) is correct or not. If, similarly, I am to include the 'von' in Beethoven, then I don't think I want to be searching through the letter 'Vs'! And so (as you suggest) Beethoven, Ludwig von and Karajan, Herbert von is probably the best format I would say.

Paul
          Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-06-2018, 11:21 PM. Reason: Bold text

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Jul 2017

Paul,

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2042[/ATTACH]

Don't know if this helps, but here are some of my Beethoven / Karajan.
            Thanks Oggy,

In which particular way do you think this (screenshot) might help, please? To highlight the fact that the Conductor is referred to WITHOUT the 'von'?

I think we have the same 'Deutsche Gramaphone' Beethoven collection?; albeit mine have different artworks (they are all paintings).

Cheers.
            Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-06-2018, 11:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Jul 2017

It's an easy mistake to make. Austria is, after all, a German-speaking country.
              The relationship/similarities between the two countries is very interesting in the context of WWII. It was also known as 'Austria-Hungary' (as you will know).

I knew the CLASSICAL tagging was going to be very taxing for a newbie. Which is why I have left this GENRE until last. I think it would have been near impossible to have started out with this idiom, as well as finding one's feet with 'dBpa'.
              Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-06-2018, 11:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Oggy
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Apr 2015

So would you omit the 'von' and just tag as:
                CONDUCTOR = Herbert Karajan

CONDUCTORSORT = Karajan, Herbert

Paul
                Paul,

I used:

Ludwig van Beethoven

Beethoven, Ludwig van

and

Herbert von Karajan

Karajan, Herbert von

But Karajan, Herbert would give you what you want.
                Last edited by Oggy; 03-06-2018, 11:47 PM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Jul 2017

Paul,

I used:

Ludwig van Beethoven

Beethoven, Ludwig van

and

Herbert von Karajan

Karajan, Herbert von

But Karajan, Herbert would give you what you want.
                  Thanks Oggy,

I'm going with:
                  Ludwig van Beethoven

Beethoven, Ludwig van

and
                  Herbert von Karajan

Karajan, Herbert von

That seems favourite to my liking.

Much appreciated.
                  Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-06-2018, 11:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Oggy
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Apr 2015

Yes, it shows both Beethoven and Karajan.

It was a SACD / CD set of the popular 1963 cycle.

The overlay also shows how I named the symphonies; I'm probably going to delete the opus numbers.

I'm awaiting the Classical tagging debate with interest, as there are so many ways of naming Classical music, and I'm sure there is much to learn from other's ideas and solutions.
                    Last edited by Oggy; 03-07-2018, 12:44 AM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Jul 2017

Yes, it shows both Beethoven and Karajan.

It was a SACD / CD set of the popular 1963 cycle.
                      OK, cheers Oggy.

My Beethoven Symph's were purchased individually. Two Symph's per disc.
                      Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-07-2018, 12:07 AM.

Comment

• Jailhouse
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Sep 2016

I view 'HvK' WITH having the 'von' (personally I have never heard him [IIRC] being referred to as just 'Karjan'); but that is, of course, not saying that anyone (on here) is correct or not. If, similarly, I am to include the 'von' in Beethoven, then I don't think I want to be searching through the letter 'Vs'! And so (as you suggest) Beethoven, Ludwig von and Karajan, Herbert von is probably the best format I would say.
                        There is nothing wrong with using "von Karajan" if you think of his last name that way. It comes down to where you want to find him--in the "K"s or the "V"s?

Comment

• Jailhouse
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Sep 2016

Zut alors! All this time I've been thinking Ludwig von Beethoven when his name was Ludwig van Beethoven!

At least von and van are pronounced pretty much the same in German. Still, I'm aghast. I shall chastise myself severely.

Comment

• Jailhouse
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Sep 2016

I knew the CLASSICAL tagging was going to be very taxing for a newbie. Which is why I have left this GENRE until last.
                            I haven't ripped any of my Classical discs, either. I'm thinking I'll have to keep them in a separate library. I'll be looking to determine whether a single instance of foobar2000 can handle both classical and pop/rock/jazz/etc playlists to my satisfaction. Barring that, I'll use a second, portable fb2k installation for the classics.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Jul 2017

Zut alors! All this time I've been thinking Ludwig von Beethoven when his name was Ludwig van Beethoven!

At least von and van are pronounced pretty much the same in German. Still, I'm aghast. I shall chastise myself severely.
                              JH,

I did actually wonder if it was 'van' Beethoven when I initially read your reply yesterday. But I just assumed I myself had got it wrong for all these years! I mean, it's over 20 years since I was at college, so things are starting to get a bit murky now!

Anyway, thanks for clarifying and clearing up. I am ripping BACH at the moment, but BEETHOVEN will be next in line ...

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Jul 2017

I haven't ripped any of my Classical discs, either. I'm thinking I'll have to keep them in a separate library. I'll be looking to determine whether a single instance of foobar2000 can handle both classical and pop/rock/jazz/etc playlists to my satisfaction. Barring that, I'll use a second, portable fb2k installation for the classics.
                                JH,

I won't really be able to let you know how Foobar handles classical and pop/rock/jazz/etc 'playlists' because I, personally, do not use 'playlists'.This may change in the future though.

Paul

Comment

Working...

]]>