title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • evasv
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Jan 2016

Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

That looks ok (but you are missing some studios which you probably are aware of).

Maybe replacing "or" with "??" for better readability?

Abbey Road Studios, London ?? Avatar Studios, New York ?? Bennett Studios, New Jersey ?? Ben's Studio, Nashville ?? ...

But to be honest, that's an awful lot of studios in one tag. With so many uncertain entries, you'll get many inaccurate search results.

Personally, I'd settle for "Unknown" until I could verify the studios. Your choice though.

Comment

• garym
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Nov 2007

Will you ever be searching on studio name? There's lots of stuff you may want to know about an album/recording. In some cases (particularly lots of unreleased live shows I have), I simply have a *.txt file that is saved in the same subdirectory of the album audio tracks. This txt file has information about the show, guest artists, venue info, info on who recorded it, etc. I can't search in my player on info in the txt file, but if I want to know something about the album, I can open this and read it. See for example,

Comment

• Jailhouse
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Sep 2016

All those possible studios, but no definitive information; it could be any of them, or none. If you really feel the need to list them all in a tag, you might want to use "Unknown" as suggested by evasv and list the studios in parentheses, prepended with "Possible:" or "Possibly" or something similar. And maybe use the pipe character to separate them. Like so...
        Unknown (Possible: Abbey Road Studios, London | Avatar Studios, New York | Bennett Studios, New Jersey | Ben's Studio, Nashville)

This way, you can see immediately that whatever information is there is only speculation.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
          Will you ever be searching on studio name? There's lots of stuff you may want to know about an album/recording. In some cases (particularly lots of unreleased live shows I have), I simply have a *.txt file that is saved in the same subdirectory of the album audio tracks. This txt file has information about the show, guest artists, venue info, info on who recorded it, etc. I can't search in my player on info in the txt file, but if I want to know something about the album, I can open this and read it. See for example,
          https://ia902309.us.archive.org/35/i...MatrixInfo.txt
          Hi Gary,

Well for most of my 'artists;' the studio/location is something I am very interested in.

As I said a few months back, I do miss the sleeve-notes and LP covers which you could read like a book! So your *.txt file idea is excellent. But I don't think I would have the time and energy to compile such docs for my library; as I would like to have this *.txt file for ALL CDs. I am aged 50 next year; but if I was (say) 20, then I would definitely have created these because I would probably have another 50 years listening left!

Cheers,

Paul
          Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 12-11-2017, 02:48 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Jul 2017

Originally posted by evasv
            That looks ok (but you are missing some studios which you probably are aware of).

Maybe replacing "or" with "??" for better readability?

Abbey Road Studios, London ?? Avatar Studios, New York ?? Bennett Studios, New Jersey ?? Ben's Studio, Nashville ?? ...

But to be honest, that's an awful lot of studios in one tag. With so many uncertain entries, you'll get many inaccurate search results.

Personally, I'd settle for "Unknown" until I could verify the studios. Your choice though.
            Evasv,

Yes, I agree it's a lot of info in a single tag!

I would prefer to not use the "??" if possible, thanks.

I will consider the "unknown" option if I am not able to arrive at something more suitable.

Cheers,

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Jailhouse
              All those possible studios, but no definitive information; it could be any of them, or none. If you really feel the need to list them all in a tag, you might want to use "Unknown" as suggested by evasv and list the studios in parentheses, prepended with "Possible:" or "Possibly" or something similar. And maybe use the pipe character to separate them. Like so...
              Unknown (Possible: Abbey Road Studios, London | Avatar Studios, New York | Bennett Studios, New Jersey | Ben's Studio, Nashville)

This way, you can see immediately that whatever information is there is only speculation.
              Thanks JH,

I think your suggestion is the closest to what I am looking for as an all time solution, thanks.

How about if I tweaked it and made it:
              Possibly: Abbey Road Studios, London / Avatar Studios, New York / Bennett Studios, New Jersey / Ben's Studio, Nashville

I have used the '/' instead of the pipe throughout my VENUE/LOCATION and RECORD-LABEL tags.

Paul
              Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 12-11-2017, 03:36 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Jul 2017

Hi JH,

I have abbreviated the US states in the Tony Bennett VENUE tag:
                Unknown (Possible: Abbey Road Studios, London / Avatar Studios, NY / Bennett Studios, NJ / Ben's Studio, TN / Capitol Studios, CA / Henson Recording Studios, CA)

Paul
                Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 12-11-2017, 06:00 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Jailhouse
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Sep 2016

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
                  How about if I tweaked it and made it:
                  Possibly: Abbey Road Studios, London / Avatar Studios, New York / Bennett Studios, New Jersey / Ben's Studio, Nashville
                  Looks good to me.

Comment

• Jailhouse
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Sep 2016

Unknown (Possible: Abbey Road Studios, London / Avatar Studios, NY / Bennett Studios, NJ / Ben's Studio, TN / Capitol Studios, CA / Henson Recording Studios, CA)
                    Even better!

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Jul 2017

Looks good to me.
                      Cheers JH.

Comment

• evasv
                        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                        • Jan 2016

I think Jailhouse's idea is a great solution for you, since you want to tag unverified data. If you want to update/verify the tags later on, you can search for "Unknown" to have a list of candidates.

Your latest syntax with US states looks neater, but you won't be able to search for e.g. studios in Nashville (if required).

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Jul 2017

Originally posted by evasv
                          I think Jailhouse's idea is a great solution for you, since you want to tag unverified data. If you want to update/verify the tags later on, you can search for "Unknown" to have a list of candidates.

Your latest syntax with US states looks neater, but you won't be able to search for e.g. studios in Nashville (if required).
                          Thanks evasv,

The Tony Bennett CD is not one which I am adamant about ultra-specifics; so the abbreviations are fine here. But if it was (say) a Miles Davis CD then I would list everything!

In any event, I doubt there will be many CDs which contain such a long tag in this respect. Hopefully not anyway!

Yes, I have taken JHs naming scheme in the end.

Cheers,

Paul
                          Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 12-11-2017, 07:40 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Jul 2017

Hi,

I am ripping a CD which has one track by the:
                            Melody Maker's Competition Band

But I am not sure what would be the best ARTIST SORT here, please?

Many thanks,

Paul

Comment

• garym
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Nov 2007

Hi,

I am ripping a CD which has one track by the:

But I am not sure what would be the best ARTIST SORT here, please?

Many thanks,

Paul
                              I'd use:

Keep in mind that artist sort is simply to make it show up in any list in your music library in the right place in alphabet. and for this, I'd want it in the "M" category.
                              (you woudn't use "Stones, The Rolling" as an artist sort. You might use, "Rolling Stones, The". I don't have to worry about "the" as my library automatically ignores "The" and would put "The Rolling Stones" in "R".

You wouldn't use, "Floyd, Pink" as sort for "Pink Floyd". You'd want Pink Floyd to sort under "P".

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
                                I'd use:

Keep in mind that artist sort is simply to make it show up in any list in your music library in the right place in alphabet. and for this, I'd want it in the "M" category.
                                (you woudn't use "Stones, The Rolling" as an artist sort. You might use, "Rolling Stones, The". I don't have to worry about "the" as my library automatically ignores "The" and would put "The Rolling Stones" in "R".

You wouldn't use, "Floyd, Pink" as sort for "Pink Floyd". You'd want Pink Floyd to sort under "P".
                                Thanks Gary,

That's great.

Someone else said to think of it as how you would like to see the ALBUM ARTIST catalogued (in the shelves) in a record store; which is also quite a good formula.

I do still get confused now and again though with certain band-names, as you can see.

Cheers,

Paul

Comment

Working...

]]>