title
Products            Purchase            Codec Central            Forum & Support            Professional            About
  
Page 14 of 39 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
Results 196 to 210 of 582

Thread: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

  1. #196
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,544

    Question Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

    Hi,

    If one has a track which is a MEDLEY of multiple songs and multiple composers, then what would be the best way to tag this, please?

    Let's say it's a film-score medley:

    Track 1 - The Muse~Lose Yourself~The Wrestler~Happy~The Lion King

    Elton John; Eminem; Bruce Springsteen; Pharrell;Elton John

    As you can see, the opening and closing tracks are composed by Elton John.

    And so, would you list the COMPOSER tag as:

    Elton John; Eminem; Bruce Springsteen; Pharrell; Elton John

    or,

    Elton John; Eminem; Bruce Springsteen; Pharrell

    The latter omits the second contribution by EJ.

    Many thanks,

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 12-07-2017 at 07:27 AM. Reason: spelling

  2. #197
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    376

    Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

    By omitting the second Elton John mention, the list of songs and composers don't match up. That could be confusing, as one can't infer who wrote the last song of the medley, or even that the last song is the one missing its composer.

    If knowing who composed each song isn't important, leaving out the duplicate name isn't a problem.

  3. #198
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,303

    Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    By omitting the second Elton John mention, the list of songs and composers don't match up. That could be confusing, as one can't infer who wrote the last song of the medley, or even that the last song is the one missing its composer.

    If knowing who composed each song isn't important, leaving out the duplicate name isn't a problem.
    ... and if a song has more than one composer, you won't know for sure, which composer wrote which song anyway, so I just list all composers, with no duplicates.

  4. #199
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,544

    Question Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

    Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    By omitting the second Elton John mention, the list of songs and composers don't match up. That could be confusing, as one can't infer who wrote the last song of the medley, or even that the last song is the one missing its composer.

    If knowing who composed each song isn't important, leaving out the duplicate name isn't a problem.
    Cheers JH,

    Well the real problem arises when the duplicate composer has composer two of the middle-placed songs! Then it gets really confusing!

    But I wanted to check what someone else's opinion (like yourself) was before typing everything in. With Miles Davis and Weather Report, much of their LIVE repertoire consisted of MEDLEYS, so your advice is helpful.

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 12-07-2017 at 03:28 PM. Reason: spelling

  5. #200
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,544

    Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    ... and if a song has more than one composer, you won't know for sure, which composer wrote which song anyway, so I just list all composers, with no duplicates.
    Hi mville,

    I was just concerned about the COMPOSER list being too long; hence trying to economise on real estate.

    Cheers,

    Paul

  6. #201
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    3,939

    Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi mville,

    I was just concerned about the COMPOSER list being too long; hence trying to economise on real estate.

    Cheers,

    Paul
    why does it matter how long it is? it is mostly there as a basis for searches in your database.

  7. #202
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,544

    Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    why does it matter how long it is? it is mostly there as a basis for searches in your database.
    Hi Gary,

    Because I noticed when I first started ripping that there seemed to be a maximum amount of characters for certain fields? I think it was for the folder-name/file-path though, now I think back?

    Paul

  8. #203
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    3,939

    Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi Gary,

    Because I noticed when I first started ripping that there seemed to be a maximum amount of characters for certain fields? I think it was for the folder-name/file-path though, now I think back?

    Paul
    file names and path may be limited to something like 254. But the limit (if any) for tag data should be WAY higher. So you can have lots more info in tags. File length in windows files and tag metadata are two very different things.

  9. #204
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,544

    Question Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    file names and path may be limited to something like 254. But the limit (if any) for tag data should be WAY higher. So you can have lots more info in tags. File length in windows files and tag metadata are two very different things.
    Gary,

    Yes, I think it was the '254' we increased it to a few months back.

    Maybe it was Windoze that chopped of some of the longer names in my titles/artists.

    If you have a MEDLEY (lets use the same model as earlier):

    TITLE: The Muse~Lose Yourself~The Wrestler~Happy~The Lion King

    COMPOSER: Elton John; Eminem; Bruce Springsteen; Pharrell; Elton John

    ... and you ran a search for (say) 'Pharrell'. Then would the result be the ENTIRE medley (ie. The Muse~Lose Yourself~The Wrestler~Happy~The Lion King)? I mean, it is not going to decipher the buried track "Happy" is it?

    Thanks,

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 12-07-2017 at 04:39 PM. Reason: spelling

  10. #205
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    3,939

    Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    . and you ran a search for (say) 'Pharrell'. Then would the result be the ENTIRE medley (ie. The Muse~Lose Yourself~The Wrestler~Happy~The Lion King)? I mean, it is not going to decipher the buried track "Happy" is it?

    Thanks,

    Paul
    yes. Correct. But if I search for songs named happy, it would find this medley.

  11. #206
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,544

    Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    yes. Correct. But if I search for songs named happy, it would find this medley.
    OK, gotcha. Cheers.

  12. #207
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,544

    Question Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

    Hi,

    If the composer of all of the songs which form the MEDLEY is the same, then I assume there is no point in listing him/her multiple times? eg:

    TITLE: Don't Let The Sun~Rocket Man~Don't Go Breaking My Heart~Song For Guy

    COMPOSER: Elton John; Elton John; Elton John; Elton John

    Thanks,

    Paul

  13. #208
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    3,939

    Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi,

    If the composer of all of the songs which form the MEDLEY is the same, then I assume there is no point in listing him/her multiple times? eg:
    TITLE: Don't Let The Sun~Rocket Man~Don't Go Breaking My Heart~Song For Guy

    COMPOSER: Elton John; Elton John; Elton John; Elton John

    Thanks,

    Paul
    If you list multiple times in this case, I think we should send the OCD police to your house to have you committed.

  14. #209
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,544

    Question Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

    Hi,

    I have a boxset consisting entirely of UNISSUED material by 'Weather Report':


    One of the tracks (Track 3, CD 2) is a Drum-Solo but the location is unknown. The liner notes state:

    "either Long Beach, Santa Monica, Berkeley or Phoenix (24, 25, 26, 28 November)"

    Therefore, what should I state in my VENUE tag, please? (I am not bothered with the dates.)

    Thanks,

    Paul

    (EDIT: fixed LINK.)
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 12-08-2017 at 08:27 AM. Reason: LINK

  15. #210
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Posts
    114

    Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

    I would write Unknown in the VENUE tag and write additional info in the COMMENT tag.

    Or maybe, instead of Long Beach/Santa Monica/Berkeley/Phoenix you could use something wider, like USA.
    Last edited by evasv; 12-08-2017 at 09:16 AM. Reason: Clarity

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Copyright 2018 Illustrate. All Rights Reserved.