title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 49 of 54 FirstFirst ... 394748495051 ... LastLast

Thread: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Kenny G's wealth is probably greater than Herbie Hancock's and Chick Corea's COMBINED, I dare say!
    probably times 1000. but we can tell similar stories of many talented artists. But to each their own....I'm sure much of my music is hated by others.

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Hi guys,

A bit of a backwards question to be asking at this point, I know!, but what if I was the REMOVE some of the tags I originally created a couple of years ago?

I mean, I am really wondering if I actually need all of them?: eg. ARTIST SORT, ALBUM ARTIST SORT, CONDUCTOR SORT. I am pretty sure FOOBAR can cope adequately without them. And I really only ever search for an ALBUM or ARTIST at any given point (ie. my searches are rather basic and I mostly know where everything is anyway).

The thought of ripping my pending 100 CDs and having to add this extra data is seriously putting me off gettin' started. I don't think it would take too long to remove the unwanted tags.

Anyway, your thoughts would be appreciated as always...

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi guys,

A bit of a backwards question to be asking at this point, I know!, but what if I was the REMOVE some of the tags I originally created a couple of years ago?

I mean, I am really wondering if I actually need all of them?: eg. ARTIST SORT, ALBUM ARTIST SORT, CONDUCTOR SORT. I am pretty sure FOOBAR can cope adequately without them. And I really only ever search for an ALBUM or ARTIST at any given point (ie. my searches are rather basic and I mostly know where everything is anyway).

The thought of ripping my pending 100 CDs and having to add this extra data is seriously putting me off gettin' started. I don't think it would take too long to remove the unwanted tags.

Anyway, your thoughts would be appreciated as always...

Paul

Very easy to do in bulk for all your previously ripped files. Start dbpa Batch Converter, click on the top level directory holding your music files, click on CONVERT, then select [ID TAG UPDATE] as your convert item. Once ID TAG UPDATE pops up, click on the "Deletions" tab, and enter the tag fields you want to delete there. Then in the bottom right of that popup, select "convert". This will remove all those tag fields from all your files.

You should experiment with an album or two first to make sure you understand what is actually happening. But bottom line, this is easy. I decided a while ago to get rid of all the STYLE tag fields in my 113,000+ library. I pointed at the top folder, holding all these files, put "style" in the delete tab, clicked convert, and it ran a while, then all done....style tag gone from everything.

On the other hand, having these extra tags doesn't cost you anything. It is not bothering anything, It won't make things sound better to delete the tags. And you never know, 3 years from now you may be using a player that you want to use ARTISTSORT tags.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thumbs up Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

That's really great and helpful of you Garym,

I will reply in full tomorrow mate...

Cheers,

Paul

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Paul,
    If Foobar is displaying those tags, you should modify it to not display them, and if you want to return to using them they are still there. A couple of years ago I accidently added some tags I didn't want and used Garym's method to remove them. I don't believe the file size changed much, if at all, so if you are hoping to reduce the size of your library, it might not change it much.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG45 View Post
    Paul,
    If Foobar is displaying those tags, you should modify it to not display them, and if you want to return to using them they are still there. A couple of years ago I accidently added some tags I didn't want and used Garym's method to remove them. I don't believe the file size changed much, if at all, so if you are hoping to reduce the size of your library, it might not change it much.
    Gary. Yes, I agree!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hello monsterjazzlick. Alternatively you could backup ARTIST SORT to BACKUP ARTIST SORT and then delete ARTIST SORT.

dBpoweramp Guru

what exactly do you not like about foobar2000's use of these tags. foobar2000 can be customized in almost any way you want, including not using these tags.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    what exactly do you not like about foobar2000's use of these tags
    Nothing, it's a great feature in foobar. I just suggested an alternative that would work in any player if so required.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by vilsen View Post
    Nothing, it's a great feature in foobar. I just suggested an alternative that would work in any player if so required.

sorry, I was asking monsterjazzlick what was bothering him.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Oh I see, no worries

dBpoweramp Guru

Oh I see, no worries

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG45 View Post
    Paul,
    Hi Gary,

I would be removing the unwanted tags not because of their "file size", but rather I just don't feel I requite them; and also adding them is (to me) such a laborious task that it is causing me to delay completing ripping my hard-copy CD library.

When I first began ripping a couple of years ago I did think long and hard about which exact data I wanted to include. However, I think, in hindsight, I went a little over the top by including such extraneous data - I simply don't need it all!

Cheers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Very easy to do in bulk for all your previously ripped files. Start dbpa Batch Converter, click on the top level directory holding your music files, click on CONVERT, then select [ID TAG UPDATE] as your convert item. Once ID TAG UPDATE pops up, click on the "Deletions" tab, and enter the tag fields you want to delete there. Then in the bottom right of that popup, select "convert". This will remove all those tag fields from all your files.

You should experiment with an album or two first to make sure you understand what is actually happening. But bottom line, this is easy. I decided a while ago to get rid of all the STYLE tag fields in my 113,000+ library. I pointed at the top folder, holding all these files, put "style" in the delete tab, clicked convert, and it ran a while, then all done....style tag gone from everything.

On the other hand, having these extra tags doesn't cost you anything. It is not bothering anything, It won't make things sound better to delete the tags. And you never know, 3 years from now you may be using a player that you want to use ARTISTSORT tags.
    Thanks a lot Garym,

I tried out your kind advice of testing the water with a few CDs and removing the SORT tags made zero difference (as far as I could tell). I do think I will remove the tags in all honestly. There is definitely someone on here (it may be Mville) who does not use any SORT tags whatsoever.

I really appreciate you kindly taking the time to outline the steps involved.

To be honest, I am a fairly 'basic' kind of user when it comes to technology (you probably guessed this when I first joined here a couple of years ago!). If something works and is easy to use then I tend to stick with it.

Hope you are keeping well mate?

Paul

(btw - Do you have any links to your own music/creations, please?)

dBpoweramp Guru

Hello monsterjazzlick. Alternatively you could backup ARTIST SORT to BACKUP ARTIST SORT and then delete ARTIST SORT.
    Hello Vilsen,

I had so many damn tags on the go that in the end I simply could not see the wood for the trees!

Paul