title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 38 of 54 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast

Thread: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    With reference to the aforementioned Haydn CD, sources appear to use:

'Hoboken 1/92' and 'Hoboken 1/103'

Usually, a slash indicates that the subject is number-something out-of-something. For example:

1/5 = part-one out-of-five

The 'Hoboken', suggests, to me, that this is in relation to the SYMPHONY number. But, why have a leading number '1' (ie. before the forward slash)? Obviously the latter number is the symphony number.

I don't know how many symphonies Haydn composed, but if we said 125, then I would have thought the logging scheme would read:

'Hoboken 103/125'
    The Hoboken Catalogue is sorted by musical genre. See the Wikipedia Hoboken Catalogue entry. Also see List of works by Joseph Haydn.

P.S. the 1s are Roman numerals, so it's I/103 rather than 1/103.
    Last edited by Jailhouse; 05-03-2018 at 04:43 PM. Reason: P.S.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    I would let go of that idea as I suspect you will be editing your tags in the future.
    mville, well I dare say they might be the case; but I still hope it is not! Ha ha ...

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Yep, a never ending job as one reconsiders new ways to organize things in the future, or a new player doesn't work the same with your tag scheme, etc. The good news is that you never have to RIP your CDs again, if ripped to lossless FLAC. And tag editing is downright easy and quick (and sometimes can be done in bulk) as compared with ripping.
    garym,

I will be going over some of my art-works, that's for sure. There are a good few I made at the start which can be improved on.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    The Hoboken Catalogue is sorted by musical genre. See the Wikipedia Hoboken Catalogue entry. Also see List of works by Joseph Haydn.

P.S. the 1s are Roman numerals, so it's I/103 rather than 1/103.
    Thanks JH,

That's very interesting and I did not know that at all! I shall amend the '1' to an 'I'.

Cheers.

dBpoweramp Guru

That's very interesting and I did not know that at all! I shall amend the '1' to an 'I'.
    I didn't know it, either. Google is my friend who finds these things for me.

dBpoweramp Guru

I didn't know it, either. Google is my friend who finds these things for me.
    Oh, OK. I kinda assumed you had some Haydn CDs in your collection and so had tagged them a certain way. To be honest, my eyes would not have noticed the 'I' instead of a '1'.

dBpoweramp Guru

I kinda assumed you had some Haydn CDs in your collection and so had tagged them a certain way.
    The only Hoboken I knew of previously was the city in New Jersey, USA. I just had to find out what the heck Hoboken meant in relation to Haydn, which ultimately led to the links I posted.

I do have a disc with Haydn's London Symphonies, but I won't tag the rips with the catalogue entries as I find them (along with opus or BWV numbers) unnecessary. In a case where a work is only referred to as, say, Opus 7, that will go in the title.

dBpoweramp Guru

The only Hoboken I knew of previously was the city in New Jersey, USA. I just had to find out what the heck Hoboken meant in relation to Haydn, which ultimately led to the links I posted.

I do have a disc with Haydn's London Symphonies, but I won't tag the rips with the catalogue entries as I find them (along with opus or BWV numbers) unnecessary. In a case where a work is only referred to as, say, Opus 7, that will go in the title.
    OK, cheers.

I never knew it was a city either!

Most of my Haydn symphonies are on the Naxos label. They mix and match the order (ie. so that the CD content is not 'chronological'). A few of mine contain the 'London Symphonies' also.

(I have copied my so far ripped CDs from my external-HD to the C-drive of my new replacement laptop. I need to reinstall foobar next ...)

Paul

I just purchased the software and I needed to have my downloaded home made cds tagged the software only tags them as unknown artists. I found that Roxio can tag the cd, can this software do the same what are the steps, thank you.

Tom

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Twaldron64 View Post
    I just purchased the software and I needed to have my downloaded home made cds tagged the software only tags them as unknown artists. I found that Roxio can tag the cd, can this software do the same what are the steps, thank you.
    Hi Tom,

I think you may be wiser in posting a dedicated thread to 'Roxio'; or else posting in a more appropriate thread.

Thanks.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 05-12-2018 at 12:06 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Twaldron64 View Post

Tom
    when you say "homemade" CDs, you mean your own music (where the titles wouldn't be in a database as with a commercial CD)? When you say Roxio can tag, do you mean automatically from an online data or manually by typing in the tag info (titles, etc.).

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Hi,

I am not sure if any of you are familiar with US dating gurus guy/businessman: David DeAngelo (Eban Pagan), but I have quite a few discs from his interview series. Basically, he interviews guys who are successful in the dating-world and they share their insights with each other. But it's actually a lot more than that in that it is almost a course in how to take control, and run, your life:

Anyway, I am not sure how to TAG the aforementioned. I was thinking:

Genre = Holistic

Style = Dating

or,

Genre = Self Improvement

Style = Interview

Secondly, because David DeAngelo is always the interviewer (I mean, it's his show), and he has a different guest for each CD. Therefore would you use:

Artist = John Smith

Album Artist = David DeAngelo

or,

Artist = David DeAngelo; John Smith

Album Artist = David DeAngelo

Here is a link to one of his interviews (from the exact series I am about to start ripping):

I would also like to point out that I have aldready ripped my 'meditation' CD collection (about 8 discs in all). These are relating to connecting with the higher consciousness, chakra balancing, etc. I tagged these as:

Genre = Holistic

Style = Meditation

And so, would one place the DeAngelo CD's under the same 'Holistic' category?

Many thanks in advance,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 05-18-2018 at 04:58 PM. Reason: link

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Paul,
    Discogs would use Genre= Non-Music, and I've also seen Spoken Word used as a Genre. I would probably use Genre=Non-Music and Style=Interview. I would use your second choice for Artist and Album Artist.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG45 View Post
    Discogs would use Genre= Non-Music, and I've also seen Spoken Word used as a Genre. I would probably use Genre=Non-Music and Style=Interview. I would use your second choice for Artist and Album Artist.
    Thanks Gary,

I think I might actually go with:

Genre = Self Improvement

Style = Interview

Non-Music and Interview are (or imply, arguably) almost the same thing.

Thanks for clarifying my Artist and Album Artist question.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Hi,

I have actually tweaked the GENRE to: Self Development.

In relation to the above mentioned DeAngelo series, each CD is titled:'Interviews With Dating Gurus' followed by the interviewees name. For instance:

ALBUM: Interviews With Dating Gurus - John Smith

However, would you use a hyphen (as above) which appears by default in 'dBpa', or would one use a colon:

ALBUM: Interviews With Dating Gurus: John Smith

A pedantic as always question I admit!

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 05-19-2018 at 12:06 PM. Reason: spelling