title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 26 of 54 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Oggy,

I think it was way back in 1975 when I sat my Grade 1 Piano exam!

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-10-2018 at 02:46 PM. Reason: Grammar

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

Here's how Jarrett looks now!:

And Mr. Schoenberg:

(It is hoped these may be helpful to any newbies.)

Cheers.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-10-2018 at 04:08 PM. Reason: LINK

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Simply thought it looked better.
    Which is as valid a reason as any when it comes to tagging one's library.

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Hi,

Do many of you use the ORCHESTRA tag, please?

I am just about to rip Holst's 'The Planets & Suite de Ballet, Op. 10' (on 'Naxos' label):

Where there is an ensemble (eg. a string quartet [as in the above Schoenberg]) I have been using the name of the ensemble as the ARTIST (and the name of the composer as the ALBUM ARTIST). And so, in the case of the Naxos 'Holst' CD, I was considering:

ARTIST = Czecho-Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra (Bratislava)

ARTIST SORT = Czecho-Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra (Bratislava)

ALBUM ARTIST = Gustav Holst

ALBUM ARTIST SORT = Holst, Gustav

And to fully disregard the ORCHESTRA tag.

I suppose the other way would be to use the ORCHESTRA tag (for 'Czecho-Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra'), and then to use 'Holst' in the ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST tags?

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-14-2018 at 03:10 PM. Reason: LINK

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi again,

Also regarding: 'The Planets', the default TRACK NAMES are very long!:

The Planets, suite for orchestra & female chorus, Op. 32, H. 125: No. 7, "Neptune, the Mystic" (w/hidden 8-part female chorus)

I was thinking of truncating to the likes of:

The Planets, No.7, 'Neptune, the Mystic'

Or maybe,

The Planets Suite, No.7, 'Neptune, the Mystic'

And again, the question/preference of commas arises?!

For the second work on the CD, the TRACK NAMES are also elongated:

Suite de ballet, for orchestra in E flat major, No.2, 'Valse' in E flat major

Perhaps trim to:

Suite de ballet, No.2, 'Valse' in E flat major

Many the can of worms be unleashed ...

Thanks a lot!
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-14-2018 at 03:29 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi,

Do many of you use the ORCHESTRA tag, please?

I am just about to rip Holst's 'The Planets & Suite de Ballet, Op. 10' (on 'Naxos' label):

Where there is an ensemble (eg. a string quartet [as in the above Schoenberg]) I have been using the name of the ensemble as the ARTIST (and the name of the composer as the ALBUM ARTIST). And so, in the case of the Naxos 'Holst' CD, I was considering:

ARTIST = Czecho-Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra (Bratislava)

ARTIST SORT = Czecho-Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra (Bratislava)

ALBUM ARTIST = Gustav Holst

ALBUM ARTIST SORT = Holst, Gustav

And to fully disregard the ORCHESTRA tag.

I suppose the other way would be to use the ORCHESTRA tag (for 'Czecho-Slovak Radio Symphony Orchestra'), and then to use 'Holst' in the ARTIST and ALBUM ARTIST tags?

Cheers,

Paul
    Hi Paul,

Welcome to the crazy world of tagging Classical music.

Firstly, may I suggest you start a new thread for this, as a Classical thread may attract people with experience and the interest in ripping these CDs. For example, Classical music and the endless naming and tagging choices.....

To answer your question, I used the Orchestra tag (along with Conductor, Soloist etc). If I had a more invested interest in Classical music and multiple recordings of the same piece, then I would add the most significant variant to the name.

As you showed very clearly in your earlier posts, a picture can be worth a thousand words, so, if the cover shows the Orchestra and Conductor, do you need them in the naming?

For a really radical solution, and with Classical CDs you may well have to scan, or photograph a number of covers, if you look at the rear cover of your Naxos CD, there is all of the pertinent information displayed neatly; you could consider using this, instead of the rather bland front.

Options!!
    Last edited by Oggy; 03-15-2018 at 03:46 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Oggy,

Thanks a lot.

Firstly, may I suggest you start a new thread for this, as a Classical thread may attract people with experience and the interest in ripping these CDs. For example, Classical music and the endless naming and tagging choices.....
    I see your point but: I was reluctant to open a new thread because I have been criticised, a couple of times (at least), that 99.9% of my questions (in relation to tagging) are applicable to this already up-and-running thread. And so opening a new thread would not be justified.

Also, it might mean having to either link back to my screenshots in this thread etc, or pulling out quotes etc, because questions of the future may revert back to these examples.

To answer your question, I used the Orchestra tag (along with Conductor, Soloist etc). If I had a more invested interest in Classical music and multiple recordings of the same piece, then I would add the most significant variant to the name.
    If you use the ORCHESTRA tag, then what/who do you place in the ARTIST field, please? Do you place the orchestra in both the ARTIST and in the ORCHESTRA tags; and the composer in the ARTIST, ALBUM-ARTIST, and COMPOSER fields?

As you showed very clearly in your earlier posts, a picture can be worth a thousand words, so, if the cover shows the Orchestra and Conductor, do you need them in the naming?

For a really radical solution, and with Classical CDs you may well have to scan, or photograph a number of covers, if you look at the rear cover of your Naxos CD, there is all of the pertinent information displayed neatly; you could consider using this, instead of the rather bland front.
    Personally, I would not like to use the CD artwork as a means for visually sourcing the artists/orchestra/composers etc. I would much rather this information be tagged. For example, my eyesight is not great, and also my old Sony Walkman (which I use in the gym) has only a small display screen

Many thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-15-2018 at 09:45 AM. Reason: Quotaions

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Paul,

I placed the composer in Composer, Artist and Album Artist, the other information simply as tags. As I've mentioned, this isn't necessarily a permanent solution, but a method of tagging, which for my needs and my Classical collection appears to work fine. Please bare in mind that I tend to choose music by looking through covers displayed by Album Artist, so what works well with the player and app. I use, may not be the best method for others.

Hopefully there will be more input and suggestions forthcoming, so you can consider alternative approaches, but, at a basic level, Artist / Album / Title, is probably as close to a standard as you can get.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Paul,

I placed the composer in Composer, Artist and Album Artist, the other information simply as tags. As I've mentioned, this isn't necessarily a permanent solution, but a method of tagging, which for my needs and my Classical collection appears to work fine. Please bare in mind that I tend to choose music by looking through covers displayed by Album Artist, so what works well with the player and app. I use, may not be the best method for others.

Hopefully there will be more input and suggestions forthcoming, so you can consider alternative approaches, but, at a basic level, Artist / Album / Title, is probably as close to a standard as you can get.
    Oggy,

OK, cheers. I will have a think on your suggestions.

It is quite a lot of factors to take into consideration, I find. I think my main issue is whether or not to create an ORCHESTRA tag, or the place the name of the orchestra in the ARTIST field instead; or place it in both ORCHESTRA and ARTIST fields!

I had never considered searching for an album by the artwork before. I decide by keying in the name of the artist/band, and then scrolling through their albums (I usually have narrowed down which album I am going to listen to by 2 or 3, and by the time I have typed in a search for the artist).

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Oggy,

OK, cheers. I will have a think on your suggestions.

It is quite a lot of factors to take into consideration, I find. I think my main issue is whether or not to create an ORCHESTRA tag, or the place the name of the orchestra in the ARTIST field instead; or place it in both ORCHESTRA and ARTIST fields!

I had never considered searching for an album by the artwork before. I decide by keying in the name of the artist/band, and then scrolling through their albums (I usually have narrowed down which album I am going to listen to by 2 or 3, and by the time I have typed in a search for the artist).

Paul
    Yes, there are a lot of factors take into consideration. I did put the Orchestra as the Artist on one CD to see what it looked like, but as you can see from the screenshot below, the text wouldn't be much clearer than the cover. In a different player view, the cover is far bigger, so easily read. I suggest try it and see if it works for you.

IMG_20180315_170222.jpg

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes, there are a lot of factors take into consideration. I did put the Orchestra as the Artist on one CD to see what it looked like, but as you can see from the screenshot below, the text wouldn't be much clearer than the cover. In a different player view, the cover is far bigger, so easily read. I suggest try it and see if it works for you.

IMG_20180315_170222.jpg
    OK, thanks Oggy. I appreciate the screenshot.

If you don't mind, please, what did you think of my question(s) as per post: *380?

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi again,

Also regarding: 'The Planets', the default TRACK NAMES are very long!:

The Planets, suite for orchestra & female chorus, Op. 32, H. 125: No. 7, "Neptune, the Mystic" (w/hidden 8-part female chorus)

I was thinking of truncating to the likes of:

The Planets, No.7, 'Neptune, the Mystic'

Or maybe,

The Planets Suite, No.7, 'Neptune, the Mystic'

And again, the question/preference of commas arises?!

For the second work on the CD, the TRACK NAMES are also elongated:

Suite de ballet, for orchestra in E flat major, No.2, 'Valse' in E flat major

Perhaps trim to:

Suite de ballet, No.2, 'Valse' in E flat major

Many the can of worms be unleashed ...

Thanks a lot!
    Hi Paul,

This screenshot may help as it shows a compilation with a different Composer, Composition, Orchestra, Conductor and Soloist on each track.

I did this compilation as a worst case scenario for Don's thread, and also to rip and tag a CD I had been putting off! Each track is tagged with Composer, Orchestra, Conductor, Soloist (Pianist in this case) and took around 30 minutes.

IMG_20180315_174301.jpg

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Paul,

This screenshot may help as it shows a compilation with a different Composer, Composition, Orchestra, Conductor and Soloist on each track.

I did this compilation as a worst case scenario for Don's thread, and also to rip and tag a CD I had been putting off! Each track is tagged with Composer, Orchestra, Conductor, Soloist (Pianist in this case) and took around 30 minutes.

IMG_20180315_174301.jpg
    Oggy,

Gee, you are way faster then me. That would have taken me damn near 3 hours!

btw - how come all of your screenshots display instantaneously and yet mine never? (hence I have to u/l everything to Drive).

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Oggy,

Gee, you are way faster then me. That would have taken me damn near 3 hours!

btw - how come all of your screenshots display instantaneously and yet mine never? (hence I have to u/l everything to Drive).

Paul
    Paul,

Ha, maybe you timed out? That happened to me once, so try adding the attachments at the end, just before posting; there is also a limit on the number of attachments per post.

As you can hopefully see from the screenshot, this follows the same format as the Beethoven (except the lower case no.!), so having the "rules" in place, which is where using what immediately comes to mind, makes life easier. I got quicker as I went through the CD, as the routine became familiar. Not all of the tracks had an Opus number, so I didn't use any.
    Last edited by Oggy; 03-15-2018 at 01:58 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Ha, maybe you timed out? That happened to me once, so try adding the attachments at the end, just before posting; there is also a limit on the number of attachments per post.
    I must have been u/l them at the start of composing the question.

Someone suggested using Jpeg instead of PNG; which I did, but it made no difference; probably because the file format was not the root-cause.