title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 39 of 54 FirstFirst ... 29373839404149 ... LastLast

Thread: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Hi,

Just spent 3 damn hours correcting COMPOSER tag spellings, abbreviations, and syntax. Nightmare!

In hindsight, one thing I may have done differently is to utilize the LYRICIST tag; instead of bundling everyone into COMPOSER. For eg., I have:

"The Lion King"

COMPOSER - Elton John; Tim Rice

Rather than:

COMPOSER - Elton John

LYRICIST - Tim Rice

Although I think, a while back, that a couple of members might have commented that not all playback-devices support the LYRICIST tag?

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

If an Artist, or Album Artist, has a nickname (which is placed between the fore and surnames [and in inverted commas]), then do you 'capitalize' the initial letter, please? I ask because I have realized that I have not maintained any consistency in this regard.

For eg.,:

Huddie 'lead belly' Ledbetter, or Huddie 'Lead Belly' Ledbetter?

Alger 'texas' Alexander, or Alger 'Texas' Alexander?

Bill 'sheriff tex' Davis, or Bill 'Sheriff Tex' Davis?

I am not sure if, because the nickname is part of their name, that it should be automatically 'capitalized';? or if in the case that the nickname is not an actual person's name, or a proper noun, then it should be left in 'lower-case' (as in 'lead belly').

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-27-2018 at 11:17 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

These people say capitalize, I think?

https://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/capital.asp

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Paul,
    The only artist I have with a nickname is Nat King Cole with double quotes on both sides of King.

Regarding LYRICIST, it isn't supported by my Sonos and Bose SoundTouch player software from what I can find.

Gary

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG45 View Post
    The only artist I have with a nickname is Nat King Cole with double quotes on both sides of King.

Regarding LYRICIST, it isn't supported by my Sonos and Bose SoundTouch player software from what I can find.
    Hi Gary,

Do you spell his nickname with a capital 'k'?; ie. Nat "King" Cole. I use inverted-commas rather than quotation-marks (just a personal choice).

Thanks for confirming LYRICIST. As I say, I am sure it was mentioned last year to not use this tag for the reason you state.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by schmidj View Post
    These people say capitalize, I think?

https://www.grammarbook.com/punctuation/capital.asp
    Hi schmidj,

Nicknames and epithets:

Andrew "Old Hickory" Jackson

Babe Ruth

Note they also use quotation-marks!; I don't think I will change mine. I do need to 'capitalize' them though.

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-27-2018 at 04:06 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Paul,
    Yes, with a capital K.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by GaryG45 View Post
    Paul,
    Yes, with a capital K.
    Cheers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Paul,

As so much of this is personal choice, or down to any restrictions in players software, there is no definitive answer.

I personally use Composer: Andrew Lloyd Webber; Tim Rice

Andrew Lloyd Webber I sort under L.

For additional information, I guess you could also add, Lyricist: Tim Rice which would simply be ignored by most players. Only you know how often you look at any given tags when playing music.

As for nicknames, as Nat King Cole, is more often than not shown (incorrectly) without inverted commas, I haven't used any, or quotation marks.

Nat 'King' Cole is grammatically correct, I fink.

If these are the biggest considerations you are facing, you are well-sorted (well sorted, "well-sorted", "well sorted"). You get the idea..... sorted!
    Last edited by Oggy; 07-28-2018 at 02:06 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Oggy,

I was literally seeing stars last night when I went to bed after all of that tag editing!

For me to add a LYRICIST tag would entail me deciphering everyone, in my COMPOSER tags, who was a lyricist. I will save that task for another lifetime! Also, I don't even have a playback-device which recognizes the LYRICIST tag. Perhaps other members do?

One thing I have reconsidered is the 'VON/VAN' name (call it what you may). I appended it to the forename. I kinda wish, after a few weeks of recently messing around, that I did so to the surname. I have ARTISTS, COMPOSERS, and CONDUCTORS who have this as part of their names. I anticipate that it might be a complete mission to search/change them now. If I search for 'Von' about 500 titles appear, all of which contain this name - albeit in infinite forms.

The other aspect I am thinking which needs to be readdressed is the method in which I have compiled my COMPILATION tagging. I am not sure if I have tagged these 'correctly'. I may or may not post a question in a pre-existing thread I once created.

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-28-2018 at 12:35 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi Oggy,

I was literally seeing stars last night when I went to bed after all of that tag editing!

For me to add a LYRICIST tag would entail me deciphering everyone, in my COMPOSER tags, who was a lyricist. I will save that task for another lifetime! Also, I don't even have a playback-device which recognizes the LYRICIST tag. Perhaps other members do?

One thing I have reconsidered is the 'VON/VAN' name (call it what you may). I appended it to the forename. I kinda wish, after a few weeks of recently messing around, that I did so to the surname. I have ARTISTS, COMPOSERS, and CONDUCTORS who have this as part of their names. I anticipate that it might be a complete mission to search/change them now. If I search for 'Von' about 500 titles appear, all of which contain this name - albeit in infinite forms.

The other aspect I am thinking which needs to be readdressed is the method in which I have compiled my COMPILATION tagging. I am not sure if I have tagged these 'correctly'. I may or may not post a question in a pre-existing thread I once created.

Paul
    Hi Paul,

I've said this before, but I am kind of jealous of a couple of friends who make sure the album and artist have the correct name, and hit rip, end of, finished.

With sincere apologies to Dat Ei, Beethoven has been Beethoven to me for 50 odd years, so I wrongly, but now without ignorance sort by Beethoven, Ludwig van conducted by Conductor Sort, Karajan, Herbert von.

Why not write down errors as you see them, and correct them when you next play the same piece?

If you haven't played the track with small tagging errors for two years, or lost your piece of paper, are they a big deal?

Good luck on whatever you decide.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    With sincere apologies to Dat Ei, Beethoven has been Beethoven to me for 50 odd years, so I wrongly, but now without ignorance sort by Beethoven, Ludwig van conducted by Conductor Sort, Karajan, Herbert von.

Why not write down errors as you see them, and correct them when you next play the same piece?

If you haven't played the track with small tagging errors for two years, or lost your piece of paper, are they a big deal?
    Hi Oggy,

I never thought about the correct placement of Von/Van until this year; ie. when I started ripping my CLASSICALs. And so it was very interesting to hear everyone's personal viewpoints.

Pen & paper!; what a jolly good idea! lol

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-29-2018 at 01:38 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

I have been going thru my rips-to-date (checking for typos etc) and I noticed something I had not seen before. Perhaps it is nothing, but I thought I would post a quick question just in case, if I may.

For some fields, there seems to be a 'duplicate' tag; such as ALBUM_ARTIST_SORT and ARTIST_SORT. One version has its tag-title written in capitals, and the other in lower-case.

Please see screenshot:

Many thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-25-2018 at 11:57 AM. Reason: Link

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

I have been going thru my rips-to-date (checking for typos etc) and I noticed something I had not seen before. Perhaps it is nothing, but I thought I would post a quick question just in case, if I may.

For some fields, there seems to be a 'duplicate' tag; such as ALBUM_ARTIST_SORT and ARTIST_SORT. One version has its tag-title written in capitals, and the other in lower-case.

Please see screenshot:

Many thanks,

Paul
    Have you perhaps added those all caps tags in a DSP when you are ripping. In the ripping main screen, bottom center, DSP tab, do you have anything there related to ID tag processing where you may have added these tag fields. And you also have the lower case tags "ticked" in your tag listing in the ripper under the "tag" tab, lower center of page.

dBpoweramp Guru

Please see screenshot:
    In your screenshot, I don't see ALBUM_ARTIST_SORT or ARTIST_SORT, only Album Artist Sort, ALBUMARTISTSORT, Artist Sort and ARTISTSORT.