title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 27 of 54 FirstFirst ... 17252627282937 ... LastLast

Thread: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

Hi,

I have decided to tag my Shostakovich (Symphony 10) like so:

There is no space between the symphony and the number (ie. 'Symphony No.10'). This is to keep it in line with my opus and prelude/fugue (no spacing) format.

I have, again, copied Oggy's 'i', 'ii', etc, for the movement number.

Opus number only appears in the ALBUM TITLE (not in the TRACK NAMES).

ARTIST is the orchestra name (ie. 'Berlin Phil.').

Composer appears in COMPOSER and ALBUM ARTIST fields.

Conductor (ie. von Karajan) appears only in CONDUCTOR tag.

Hope that makes some sense?!

Cheers.

(Just testing to see if a Jpeg screenshot will display - as I have have had issues up to now):

Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-15-2018 at 05:07 PM. Reason: LINK

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Tags, Tags, and more Tags ...

I was about to pick at having the composer in both the COMPOSER and ALBUM ARTIST fields as being redundant. But I realize this might be necessary depending on which player(s) one uses and, I imagine, whether or not your Classical recordings need to coexist in a library with Jazz and Rock and whatnot. (I'm considering separate libraries and two foobar2000 installations. At least I don't have to worry about a portable player.)

With apologies to Dat Ei , I still like the lower-case replacements for the Roman numerals for the movements, though I find I wouldn't so much if numerals like L and D were needed. If there are any works with near or above 50 movements, let alone 500, I don't want to know about them.

By the way, your JPG file is not being blocked. Progress!
    Last edited by Jailhouse; 03-15-2018 at 05:57 PM. Reason: Inattentiveness

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    I was about to pick at having the composer in both the COMPOSER and ALBUM ARTIST fields as being redundant. But I realize this might be necessary depending on which player(s) one uses and, I imagine, whether or not your Classical recordings need to coexist in a library with Jazz and Rock and whatnot. (I'm considering separate libraries and two foobar2000 installations. At least I don't have to worry about a portable player.)

With apologies to Dat Ei :), I still like the lower-case replacements for the Roman numerals for the movements, though I find I wouldn't so much if numerals like L and D were needed. If there are any works with near or above 50 movements, let alone 500, I don't want to know about them.

By the way, your JPG file is not being blocked. Progress!
    JH,

Thanks for considering/addressing all my issues!

I think, due to multiple 'reports' that I have made last year, that Spoon may have 'unblocked' me from being a potential spammer! But whatever the reason, yes: "progress!"

There may be some modern day (experimental) composer(s) who have slaughtered the conventional '4 x movement' format; say, John Cage. But like yourself, I am grateful for all 'less-than-10 movement' compositions in my collection.

I remember you mentioning earlier that you are considering the possibility of using two players. Yes, ALL of my CDs are to be housed under the same player; and so my tagging requirements may differ for your own. One thing I am doing though, is trying to use as many of the SAME tags as possible across all genres. I mean, I use STYLE as a sub-genre universally; even in Classical I use it instead of PERIOD (ie. so I have: STYLE = Baroque).

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-15-2018 at 06:28 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Oggy,

I noticed somewhere that you use 'Modern' and a tag for your Classical GENRE. I did consider this last month, but for such works (by composers like Shostakovich) but I have settled on '20th Century' instead.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi,

I have decided to tag my Shostakovich (Symphony 10) like so:

There is no space between the symphony and the number (ie. 'Symphony No.10'). This is to keep it in line with my opus and prelude/fugue (no spacing) format.

I have, again, copied Oggy's 'i', 'ii', etc, for the movement number.

Opus number only appears in the ALBUM TITLE (not in the TRACK NAMES).

ARTIST is the orchestra name (ie. 'Berlin Phil.').

Composer appears in COMPOSER and ALBUM ARTIST fields.

Conductor (ie. von Karajan) appears only in CONDUCTOR tag.

Hope that makes some sense?!

Cheers.

(Just testing to see if a Jpeg screenshot will display - as I have have had issues up to now):

Hi Paul,

Yes, your jpeg is displayed!

What you have used is perfectly logical, but only you can decide if it what you want. The only thing that I would comment on, is that you've changed "in" to "In" compared to your Keith Jarrett. This is in no way a criticism, just an observation - not sure if this was deliberate or if you are using capitalise all first letters?

If I did use a different Artist to Album Artist, I would do as you have and use Orchestra, as opposed to Conductor or the Soloist.

dBpoweramp Guru

Oggy,

I tell a lie!, I have decided to use SOLOIST.

So for J.S. Bach 'Prelude & Fugues' I have:

ARTIST: Keith Jarrett

ALBUM-ARTIST: Keith Jarrett

SOLOISTS: Keith Jarrett

Cheers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Oggy,

I noticed somewhere that you use 'Modern' and a tag for your Classical GENRE. I did consider this last month, but for such works (by composers like Shostakovich) but I have settled on '20th Century' instead.

Paul
    I simply use Genre = Classical. The 'Modern' tag was simply the Style tag which I didn't remove.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Yes, your jpeg is displayed!

What you have used is perfectly logical, but only you can decide if it what you want. The only thing that I would comment on, is that you've changed "in" to "In" compared to your Keith Jarrett. This is in no way a criticism, just an observation - not sure if this was deliberate or if you are using capitalise all first letters?

If I did use a different Artist to Album Artist, I would do as you have and use Orchestra, as opposed to Conductor or the Soloist.
    Thanks for pointing out my tagging typo Oggy. I have now amended to 'I' to an 'i'. You have a good memory!

Don't your eyes get tired when tagging for a whole evening?!

That's great my Jpegs are showing now. It will save me some real-estate in Drive. Although I will leave the folder on there still and other newbies may want to refer to my screengrabs; and there is nothing worse than a dead-link.

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-15-2018 at 06:54 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

I simply use Genre = Classical. The 'Modern' tag was simply the Style tag which I didn't remove.
    So do you have a PERIOD tag as well, please?

dBpoweramp Guru

So do you have a PERIOD tag as well, please?
    The TIT1: Modern/Contemporary is I believe the Style Tag. I didn't enter it, but equally didn't block it.

dBpoweramp Guru

The TIT1: Modern/Contemporary is I believe the Style Tag. I didn't enter it, but equally didn't block it.
    OK, cheers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

Because I want the composer to show up in both the ARTIST and ALBUM-ARTIST, I think am going to add him/her to both fields. Originally, I was only going to have the ARTIST (eg. Berlin Philharmonic) in the ARTIST field. But, having experimented with searching (eg. in foobar), I don't think I would ever search for (say) Beethoven's Fifth Symphony via the ARTIST (eg. Berlin Philharmonic).

And so, this would entail two names being present in the ARTIST tag:

ARTIST = New Vienna String Quartet; Arnold Schoenberg

(and, ALBUM-ARTIST = Arnold Schoenberg)

And, similarly:

ARTIST = Johann Sebastian Bach; Keith Jarrett

(and, ALBUM-ARTIST = Johann Sebastian Bach)

Therefore, Schoenberg/Bach (the composers) appear in both ARTIST and ALBUM-ARTIST fields.

Do you think that this would be an OK system, please? Or would you not place the composer in both ARTIST and ALBUM-ARTIST? It kinda breaks the mould with what I have done throughout the tagging in my Jazz and Pop genres; but then again, it may be case of having to make some exceptions for Classical.

Cheers.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-16-2018 at 04:39 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

I placed the composer in Composer, Artist and Album Artist, the other information simply as tags. As I've mentioned, this isn't necessarily a permanent solution, but a method of tagging, which for my needs and my Classical collection appears to work fine.
    Oggy,

I am very tempted to follow suit with you here. I really did not want to have to make such an 'exception' for Classical, but it is looking like I may have to. It means that my scheme will different for Classical against Pop/Rock/Jazz/Country. I am 50/50 over this at the moment.

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-17-2018 at 09:45 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Oggy,

I am very tempted to follow suit with you here. I really did not want to have to make such an 'exception' for Classical, but it is looking like I may have to. It means that my scheme will different for Classical against Pop/Rock/Jazz/Country. I am 50/50 over this at the moment.

Paul
    Paul,

However you tag Classical music, there are more than likely going to be exceptions compared to other genres of music. The one given is that the composer has more significance than most other music.

If using Composer = Artist = Album Artist works for you, then why not use it?

dBpoweramp Guru

However you tag Classical music, there are more than likely going to be exceptions compared to other genres of music. The one given is that the composer has more significance than most other music.

If using Composer = Artist = Album Artist works for you, then why not use it?
    Hi Oggy,

OK, mate. I think your scheme is wisest. I am going to amend ...

Cheers.