title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Wanting to create perfect Apple Lossless rips of my cd collection.

Wanting to create perfect Apple Lossless rips of my cd collection.

Can you post all of your settings that will do this?

I&*8217;ve got the I&*8217;d tagging down I just want to make sure that I rip once and be done.

I&*8217;ve ripped a few using different settings and they sound fine I just want someone&*8217;s absolute must have settings to get the desired results.

This is using the latest dbpoweramp reference on a iMac.

Re: Wanting to create perfect Apple Lossless rips of my cd collection.

Not sure why the original post is showing up like that. It should read...

Can you post all of your settings that will do this?

I've got the ID tagging down I just want to make sure that I rip once and be done. I'm more interested in the settings for bit rates and what not.

I've ripped a few using different settings and they sound fine I just want someone to post absolute must have settings to get the desired results.

Also, the ones I just ripped played fine within iTunes and everywhere I wanted to stream them to like Plex on my Xbox One but they would not play within Sonos. It said it the song is NOT encoded correctly.

This is using the latest dbpoweramp reference on a iMac.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Imola ghost View Post
    I've got the ID tagging down I just want to make sure that I rip once and be done. I'm more interested in the settings for bit rates and what not.
    There is no setting for bit rates for Apple Lossless, at least not in my Windows version of CDRipper, unless I am missing something.

Regarding what not, can you be more precise?

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    There is no setting for bit rates for Apple Lossless, at least not in my Windows version of CDRipper, unless I am missing something.

Regarding what not, can you be more precise?

In the setup configuration of dbpoweramp for .m4a files under CODECS there is a setting for "OUTPUT (AAC). The selections are 16bit, 24bit, 32bit.

dBpoweramp Guru

In the setup configuration of dbpoweramp for .m4a files under CODECS there is a setting for "OUTPUT (AAC). The selections are 16bit, 24bit, 32bit.
    Apple Lossless is ALAC not AAC.

Apple Lossless is ALAC not AAC.
    I have it set to Apple Lossless and the filenames ends with .m4a

dBpoweramp Guru

I have it set to Apple Lossless and the filenames ends with .m4a
    Yes, but the setting you mention, refers to aac not alac and is therefore not relevant to you.

Yes, but the setting you mention, refers to aac not alac and is therefore not relevant to you.
    When select ADD DSP, you can change the bit depth

dBpoweramp Guru

When select ADD DSP, you can change the bit depth
    Yes, you can add many DSPs, including bit depth. Is there a particular reason why you want to change the bit depth?

Yes, you can add many DSPs, including bit depth. Is there a particular reason why you want to change the bit depth?

No, so I shouldn’t even ADD the bit depth to the DSP?

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes, you shouldn't add it. Rip the data like they are pressed on the CD. More bits are of no use, as they are artifically added and not within the original source. Less bits mean that you will lose information.

Dat Ei

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Yes, you shouldn't add it. Rip the data like they are pressed on the CD. More bits are of no use, as they are artifically added and not within the original source. Less bits mean that you will lose information.

Dat Ei
    Got it. I read a article about creating perfect Lossless files from ripped cd's. It mentioned the BIT DEPTH and REPLAY GAIN. Although it didn't get into why they added it but these are the two DSP's I had questions about.

So to summarize with creating perfect Apple Lossless files. Other than changing the metadata the way I want I "SHOULD NOT" add any DSP's or ANYTHING to the ripping process, correct?

dBpoweramp Guru

"Replay Gain" isn't that problematic as it does not touch your audio data but adds tags to your files only, which a capable player can use. This dsp is non-destructive.

But stay away from "Replay Gain (Apply)" - this dsp recalculates your audio data and is a destructive dsp.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Got it. I read a article about creating perfect Lossless files from ripped cd's. It mentioned the BIT DEPTH and REPLAY GAIN. Although it didn't get into why they added it but these are the two DSP's I had questions about.

So to summarize with creating perfect Apple Lossless files. Other than changing the metadata the way I want I "SHOULD NOT" add any DSP's or ANYTHING to the ripping process, correct?
    No harm in adding the ReplayGain DSP and is something I do when ripping my CDs to flac.

As Dat Ei mentions, the ReplayGain and not the ReplayGain (Apply) DSP, will only add ReplayGain tags to your files. Any player software that supports ReplayGain, can then read the tags.

I think I got it now guys/gals!

Thank you very much.