title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: New User Experiencing Huge Time Differences in Rips

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: New User Experiencing Huge Time Differences in Rips

Quote Originally Posted by ChisChas View Post
    Oh my giddee aunt, thanks for all this, just heading for a dark room so I can have a lie down...........

The new drive is defo configued for AccurateRip, does this action take care of the offset you refer to?

And when I've come out of the dark room, I'll read this very helpful post S L O W L Y............
    Yes! That's taken care of. Hopefully, with the screenshots, you can see some of the options very easily. This is the kind of setting, that I simply didn't think about from day one, but are easily set, or you can make an educated decision, not to change. Most of these are set once and forget.

If you get the basics right from the off, it saves a lot of editing later on.

If you choose your player, VLC or Foobar, from day one, you can see how your rips work in the real world. Not all players are equal, I know that VLC has been updated recently, but would be incredibly surprised if it got near the flexibility of Foobar2000. I don't know how good the support of sort tags is, in VLC.

I use sort tags for displaying, for example, David Bowie, as David Bowie, but under Bs, rather than Ds. This is purely a personal preference, but the player must be able to support them.

On my previous post, I've tried to take the key information from a very long thread, and explain why I used the options I did.

Think about how you ideally would like to display your library, and try a few CDs. I think very few get everything spot on first time, but hopefully you can achieve user friendly results first time.

Good luck!

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thank you, Oggy.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Another problem track on another album/CD. I chose 8 tracks including no 12 (the last one) on an album that dBpa ripped 7 of 8 chosen tracks saying Accurate (200). There I was thinking this CD isn't going to be a problem as 200 other dBpa'ers have successfully ripped this well known CD. But the last track (no 12) is refusing to rip. There is a red cross & Error while the window says track ripped insecurely.
    Do others get this, do you forego the problem track, do you set dBpa differently to get round the problem track? dBpa has 3 attempts then stops and I have to then set it going again for another 3 attempts. Can I set dBpa to keep going and keep trying until it finally succeeds? What is the advice? A few minutes to rip 7 tracks successfully and then another 20 minutes and the last track won't rip.

dBpoweramp Guru

Occasionally happens. sometimes a manufacturing defect. Sometimes something else. Many of my problems also occur with the last one or two tracks on a CD. As mentioned, I can often resolve this by trying to rip with a different drive.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Occasionally happens. sometimes a manufacturing defect. Sometimes something else. Many of my problems also occur with the last one or two tracks on a CD. As mentioned, I can often resolve this by trying to rip with a different drive.
    Yes, different drives can work wonders, (ask your work colleagues for them, before they dump their PCs!), but the last track or two are also the more likely to have fingerprints, especially if the disc has ever been used in a slot loader. A gentle clean, can sometimes work wonders.

If I'm paying attention, and the first pass has given multiple errors, I tend to stop the rip and clean the disc. If the result is still the same, I try another drive. If it's an obvious scratch, I have on occasion attempted a more dramatic repair.

Luckily this occurs on only around 3% of my discs.

As you can get an Innacurate rip with only a few frames with errors, often these errors are inaudible.
    Last edited by Oggy; 10-21-2017 at 12:39 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Interesting when you say you also experience problems with last one or two tracks, thank you for sharing this. Ha ha, I'll try this CD with the Samsung drive. See whether the former drive can rip this last track.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Yes, different drives can work wonders, (ask your work colleagues for them, before they dump their PCs!), but the last track or two are also the more likely to have fingerprints, especially if the disc has ever been used in a slot loader. A gentle clean, can sometimes work wonders.

If I'm paying attention, and the first pass has given multiple errors, I tend to stop the rip and clean the disc. If the result is still the same, I try another drive. If it's an obvious scratch, I have on occasion attempted a more dramatic repair.

Luckily this occurs on only around 3% of my discs.

As you can get an Innacurate rip with only a few frames with errors, often these errors are inaudible.
    Thanks again for some more practical advice.

dBpoweramp Guru

CDs read from the inner edge to the outer edge. Errors in disc manufacture are magnified near the outer edge as that moves beneath the laser pickup more quickly. Error correction can only do so much.

dBpoweramp Guru

Lightbulb Re: New User Experiencing Huge Time Differences in Rips

Hi ChisChas ,

You probably know this already, but just in case it has slipped passed you: quite often when you rip a CD the COMPILATION box will be checked by default. Make a quick idiot-check every time you rip that it is UNCHECKED (unless of course the CD is in fact a compilation). I have been caught out a few times!

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 11-02-2017 at 08:58 AM. Reason: Insert Image

You should try another CD drive.