title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New User Experiencing Huge Time Differences in Rips

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: New User Experiencing Huge Time Differences in Rips

Arena's 'Contagion' album where tracks 15 & 16 wouldn't rip sailed through on the same laptop/optical drive using WMP, I had to delete track 15 in dBpoweramp as it contained three glitches (it was a poor quality standard of rip). Arena's 'Unquiet Sky' album ripped in dBpoweramp without drama but WMP couldn't find the right album and produced a completely different group & track list. I had to manually enter all the metadata and I'm left (on WMP) with the wrong album cover ffs. So let's wait until the new optical drive arrives..........................

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChisChas View Post
    Paul, I have just bought another optical drive, an Asus, which Amazon will deliver tomorrow. Please see my other posting for details of the new drive and current situation. I understand the superior quality of dBpoweramp is worthwhile but not if I experience too many 'difficult' CD's and tracks thereon. I did read some of your posts before buying dBpoweramp.
    Hi ChisChas,

That's a good move and buying another drive is something I myself should order for Xmas!

I hope you found some of my other posts helpful; along with the screenshots.

I am a relatively new customer of Illustrate and so I can't help out with too much in depth stuff. But I am certain someone on here will be able to. I have found everyone to be extremely patient and courteous.

Paul

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Paul, I asked for some advice re settings to keep the programme trying to rip, what are your settings for this please? Are they set out in one of your posts, if so, which one? And if investing in another optical drive doesn't work then I will consider dBpoweramp a failed project and write off the £36. I am all for an improved metadata ripping programme but not if it proves (in my case) far too much aggravation. I know the programme demands more than WMP but when all my rips have worked using WMP, using the same optical drive & high spec laptop, then the added benefit of Secure Rip and getting the album covers etc isn't worth the considerable level of frustration. Thanks ChisChas

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    best approach will be trying a few different CD/DVD drives. I have good luck with some on different CDs, and this is unrelated to the cost of the drive. Sometimes a $5 drive rips something that a $150 drive won't.
    Gary, happy to buy ONE more optical drive specially for dBpoweramp, not prepared to buy a few more at approx £20 a pop, sorry M8, you talk about audiophools using more space per album when ripping (not the standard 5 setting), what are you if you are mug enough to buy several new optical drives just to pander to dBpoweramp? Just a fool? My new Asus optical drive will be delivered tomorrow and dBpoweramp needs to work without any more dramas.

When I'm paying £36 for a programme just to rip CD's, I expect a much better 'Tips, hints and problem solving' section and not what we are provided with which, as I've already stated, seems to have been written by very clever people who have created a very clever programme and doesn't take into account all those who aren't nearly as clever or as capable with computer software. The way to maintain enthusiasm is to head off problems and frustration before the user ends up thoroughly pissed off with the whole experience.

Can someone go through the questions I've posted on this thread and respond to them so I don't have to repeat them please?
    Last edited by ChisChas; 10-07-2017 at 01:20 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

I know the programme demands more than WMP but when all my rips have worked using WMP, using the same optical drive & high spec laptop, then the added benefit of Secure Rip and getting the album covers etc isn't worth the considerable level of frustration.
    How do you know the rips have worked using WMP? The difference between CDRipper and WMP is that CDRipper reports errors, whereas WMP does not.

However, if you are not that bothered whether your rips are error free and bit perfect, then I guess WMP may well suffice.

dBpoweramp Guru

ChisChas, you did not understand the advantages of dBpa.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

I'm a newbie, bought dBp this evening to re-rip my CD's currently in WMP at wav bitrate. Now I understand that this programme is superior to WMP but I'm getting some huge times for some CD's (so far). My Nick Mulvey 'Wake Up Now' CD arrived today in a sealed case and this took 35 minutes to rip, C Duncan 'Architect' took 15 minutes...
    Have you read this: CD Ripper Secure Ripping Setup Guide and is your drive configured for AccurateRip?

I tried to test whether my Samsung external CD/DVD drive was capable of C2 Error Pointers and drew a triangle on a new blank CD, I put it in the drive and it kept on going into WMP and starting to play music...
    That's because your Windows PC is configured to automatically play CDs in WMP. It has nothing to do with CDRipper. Turn off the Windows Autoplay feature.

I have ticked the CDHD in DSP, can someone explain the +6db for 24 bit reference, should I be ticking this or leaving it unticked? Why is there an option for the +6db?
    Of the 300 CDs you own, are any of them HDCDs?

dBpoweramp Guru

Gary, happy to buy ONE more optical drive specially for dBpoweramp, not prepared to buy a few more at approx £20 a pop, sorry M8, you talk about audiophools using more space per album when ripping (not the standard 5 setting), what are you if you are mug enough to buy several new optical drives just to pander to dBpoweramp? Just a fool?
    How to win friends and influence people!!

dBpoweramp Guru

Gary, happy to buy ONE more optical drive specially for dBpoweramp, not prepared to buy a few more at approx £20 a pop, sorry M8, you talk about audiophools using more space per album when ripping (not the standard 5 setting), what are you if you are mug enough to buy several new optical drives just to pander to dBpoweramp? Just a fool? My new Asus optical drive will be delivered tomorrow and dBpoweramp needs to work without any more dramas.

When I'm paying £36 for a programme just to rip CD's, I expect a much better 'Tips, hints and problem solving' section and not what we are provided with which, as I've already stated, seems to have been written by very clever people who have created a very clever programme and doesn't take into account all those who aren't nearly as clever or as capable with computer software. The way to maintain enthusiasm is to head off problems and frustration before the user ends up thoroughly pissed off with the whole experience.

Can someone go through the questions I've posted on this thread and respond to them so I don't have to repeat them please?

I have 3 drives. All cheap. Not pandering to dbpa. Pandering to my goal of getting bit perfect cd rips. And whether it's manufacturing issues, offset issues, etc., it turns out that some CDs will rip with one drive and not others. And this has absolutely nothing to do with how the CDs look. This can be true of a brand new never played cd. It's not a dbpa issue. Dbpa is just smart enough to try to get bit perfect rips and tell you if it has a problem. WMP and itunes will simply rip, ignore the error, and not tell you.

You are obviously having problems. Could be hardware related or setup related. But I've ripped many 1000s of CDs and had no issues with 99.9% of them. You've been given some excellent advice. Review it carefully and try the suggestions.

p.s. And if you want assistance from other forum members (and we are just users, we don't work here), my advice is to not call us names or adopt a "chip on your shoulder" attitude. That will not serve you well.

dBpoweramp Guru

Lightbulb Re: New User Experiencing Huge Time Differences in Rips

Paul, I asked for some advice re settings to keep the programme trying to rip, what are your settings for this please? Are they set out in one of your posts, if so, which one? And if investing in another optical drive doesn't work then I will consider dBpoweramp a failed project and write off the £36. I am all for an improved metadata ripping programme but not if it proves (in my case) far too much aggravation. I know the programme demands more than WMP but when all my rips have worked using WMP, using the same optical drive & high spec laptop, then the added benefit of Secure Rip and getting the album covers etc isn't worth the considerable level of frustration. Thanks ChisChas
    Hi ChisChas.

To be honest, I did not have to set anything in order for dBpa to keep ripping the CDs, whether that be if I left the system running all night, or if it chose to rip in 'frames'. And so no, I am not able to point you towards any such postings in my threads I am afraid.

Not that this would make much difference now - as it would be after the fact - but did you not test out Illustrate via the (free of charge) 28 x day TRIAL s/w version? Many people take advantage of this facility, and then post questions regarding their experiences (all good, bad and the ugly) as they go along. And then, based upon their experience, make their decision as to whether or not to purchase come time-bomb moment.

Yes, I fully agree that I have invested much time into trying to learn and configure Illustrate to suit my personal needs. It has not been easy, but then I am possibly older than yourself and also I am new to computers - for what it's worth.

In my experience, I ripped something like 400+ CDs at the time (circa 2011) using WMP. At least 10% did not play correctly afterwards. And - as I continued to discover until finally deciding to switch over to Illustrate - I would say that 1-10 CDs has at least 1 x track with some kind of glitch. WMP may well 'appear' to rip your collection correctly, but I believe - based upon first hand experience - that this can be far from the truth. Besides, it offers no such 'verification', and similar, as does Illustrate.

Thanks,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    ... is your drive configured for AccurateRip?

That's because your Windows PC is configured to automatically play CDs in WMP. It has nothing to do with CDRipper. Turn off the Windows Autoplay feature.
    ChisChas,

These two points, by Mville, are vital - just in case you have not checked/adjusted them. These are two of the first things I performed, if I recall correctly.

Cheers,

Paul

EDIT: Correct forum member quoted.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-07-2017 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Quotation

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I have 3 drives. All cheap. Not pandering to dbpa. Pandering to my goal of getting bit perfect cd rips. And whether it's manufacturing issues, offset issues, etc., it turns out that some CDs will rip with one drive and not others. And this has absolutely nothing to do with how the CDs look. This can be true of a brand new never played cd. It's not a dbpa issue. Dbpa is just smart enough to try to get bit perfect rips and tell you if it has a problem. WMP and itunes will simply rip, ignore the error, and not tell you.

You are obviously having problems. Could be hardware related or setup related. But I've ripped many 1000s of CDs and had no issues with 99.9% of them. You've been given some excellent advice. Review it carefully and try the suggestions.

p.s. And if you want assistance from other forum members (and we are just users, we don't work here), my advice is to not call us names or adopt a "chip on your shoulder" attitude. That will not serve you well.
    garym, your patience and understanding is admirable. Bravo to you.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    These two points, by Gary, are vital - just in case you have not checked/adjusted them. These are two of the first things I performed, if I recall correctly.
    I know garym and I agree on many things ripping and tagging related, but I can assure you we are not one of the same person.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    I know garym and I agree on many things ripping and tagging related, but I can assure you we are not one of the same person.

dBpoweramp Guru

Lightbulb Re: New User Experiencing Huge Time Differences in Rips

... sorry M8, you talk about audiophools using more space per album when ripping (not the standard 5 setting), what are you if you are mug enough to buy several new optical drives just to pander to dBpoweramp? Just a fool?
    Hi ChisChas,

The difference in results between the range (of 1-10) are quite negligible, I have found. I compared the upper and lower extremes when I first purchased Illustrate. The 'uncompressed' option is purely there - I believe - for the likes of 'audiofools' who can not conceive that a file is not altered in any way whatsoever when 'compressed'. The design, I find, is a very good system and I rip by the recommended 'Level 5'.

With WMP, it's just pot luck ...

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-07-2017 at 03:00 PM. Reason: spelling