title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New User Experiencing Huge Time Differences in Rips

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

New User Experiencing Huge Time Differences in Rips

I'm a newbie, bought dBp this evening to re-rip my CD's currently in WMP at wav bitrate. Now I understand that this programme is superior to WMP but I'm getting some huge times for some CD's (so far). My Nick Mulvey 'Wake Up Now' CD arrived today in a sealed case and this took 35 minutes to rip, C Duncan 'Architect' took 15 minutes and at this rate I'll be so old by the time approx 300 CD's are re-ripped, my hearing will be completely useless. I'm using Secure Rip, maximum speed for the CD drive, Level 5 for the FLAC setting (as recommended). Is there an obvious error in my settings? Or was I the first to rip the Nick Mulvey album?

I have ticked the CDHD in DSP, can someone explain the +6db for 24 bit reference, should I be ticking this or leaving it unticked? Why is there an option for the +6db?

Is there a tutorial for idiots because I don't understand some of the explanations offered in the Help pages. They are typical of 'Help' info written by the very clever people who have created a programme like this, know it very well and just don't understand that others who don't know it all can possibly need a simpler and more straight forward explanation.

I tried to test whether my Samsung external CD/DVD drive was capable of C2 Error Pointers and drew a triangle on a new blank CD, I put it in the drive and it kept on going into WMP and starting to play music. I tried repeatedly to do the test but no message came up to inform me of any result. I assumed my CD/DVD drive couldn't do C2 Error Pointers and set accordingly.

Edit: Ok, I think that things can be VERY SLOW if you are the 1st to rip an album, just ripped Amy Winehouse 'Lioness' and it was speedy gonzalez time.
    Last edited by ChisChas; 10-04-2017 at 04:51 PM.

Administrator

Re: New User Experiencing Huge Time Differences in Rips

If WMP is open in the background it might be trying to rip the CD also, which is no good.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks, I'll ensure WMP isn't open BUT these are all CD's already ripped to WMP anyway. I hope it's going to be an occasional problem, had the 3rd of one artist's CD's that ripped 5 tracks fine and then made a very painful business of the other 4. No idea why as these are all immaculate CD's, unmarked and only handled by the edge.
    Any chance you can respond re my other queries? And my comments re very clever people who create software for other (often) much less clever people also applies to VLC Media Player which I'm using for the dBpoweramp ripped CD's. Without a cleverer person's YouTube help, I would have never have worked out how to transfer my dBpoweramp CD's to the VLC Media Library (and boy did I try before surrendering to Google/YouTube).
    Ok, here's another PIA ripping situation, live as I type, 13 tracks successfully ripped, CD in database but the 14th track is being a moo. I'm beginning to realise why I never used the dBpoweramp software I bought several years ago for my last laptop.....................Trying for the 4th time to rip the 14th track. What do you advise in these circumstances to prevent complete customer frustration and fedupness?
    Last edited by ChisChas; 10-05-2017 at 12:38 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

14th track seemingly refusing to rip, do I choose another option to get this album/CD done? I know that ripping (again) from WMP to dBpoweramp on up to 300 CD's wouldn't be described as 'fun' by most but getting through them is probably satisfying to most of us, you know job well done and looking forward to hearing the benefits when I listen to my new DAP, a Questyle QP2R, which I collect tomorrow (an upgrade on my Cowon Plenue 1) but right now I'm feeling some dread and wondering whether my £1,500 MSI 3K IPS screen laptop is going to survive if I have too many more of these failures.
    And btw, this album has (12) after the other 13 tracks so I believe it has been ripped 12 times before by other customers? Trying it on a less demanding setting out of the three options when you right click a failed track, hopefully this will finally work, SIX TIMES LATER FOR JUST ONE FRACKING TRACK!!! No, failed again, now trying least demanding of the three options. The album is The Visitor by Arena. FINALLY DONE BUT I NEED SOME BETTER OPTIONS TO PREVENT THIS IN THE FUTURE, PLEASE ADVISE ACCORDINGLY.
    Last edited by ChisChas; 10-05-2017 at 12:54 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    If WMP is open in the background it might be trying to rip the CD also, which is no good.
    This is definitely something to check! I completely disabled/dissociated WMP with anything and everything!

dBpoweramp Guru

Lightbulb Re: New User Experiencing Huge Time Differences in Rips

Hi ChisChas,

Welcome to the forum and it sounds like you have gone the long way around (like I did!) before landing upon Illustrate. I can assure you, this is a great forum and also the product it par excellent.

If you wanted to scan/skim through a whole bunch of questions/scenarios which you may possibly encounter along your journey (it seems like you have experienced some common ground as myself) then maybe check out my ongoing thread:

Here, there is, quite literally, a wealth of information there (as well as a ton of screenshots I uploaded).

Hope this helps.

Best,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-05-2017 at 01:41 PM. Reason: LINK

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Ok, really, really, really need some help here. I am YET AGAIN stuck with the last two tracks of another album refusing to rip so they don't appear in the album's dBpoweramp folder. The others do but the album isn't complete, two tracks are missing after 10+ attempts. Feeling very discouraged if there are going to be such regular problems with top quality discs. What settings do you recommend I change to SUBSTANTIALLY improve the user experience?

dBpoweramp Guru

If ticked, untick the use C2 error pointers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Lightbulb Re: New User Experiencing Huge Time Differences in Rips

Hi ChisCas,

Have you tried on another CD drive? I am now ripping on my home PC rather than my work. Ironically, the former produces far more reliable results! I have regularly had CDs take up to 2 hours to rip. A couple I actually left running overnight! Sometimes dBpa will switch to ripping in FRAMES. This is very slow and I can't remember the precise rate. But you do end up with a reliable copy at the end of the day.

Paul

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Spoon advised this and WMP is NOT OPEN and wasn't yesterday evening. I've given it 24 hours, just got back from collecting my new Questyle QP2R DAP (so smile on face) and I still cannot persuade dBpoweramp to 'allow' me to rip tracks 16 & 16 on Arena's album 'Contagion' (bought new, handled by edges, only I use, not put in a car CD machine). I've finally been allowed track 16 and I'm now continuing to try and rip track 15. Track 16 is described as 'red X, AR (39) i secure' and has now appeared in the folder for this album, I'm hoping that track 15 might eventually agree to join his friends! The first 14 tracks have 'blue orb, Accurate (6) against all of them and they all ripped without any issues. Lioness by Amy Winehouse tore through perfectly btw.
    I have a occasionally used CD/DVD Samsung external drive that has been reliable so far BUT I have just bought an Asus SDRW-08D2S-U at £19.48 from the 'wonderful' Amazon so as I'm a Prime customer, it will be with me tomorrow (track 15 just failed again). I'm determined to win the battle with track 15 and I'll then wait for the new optical drive before trying any more ripping.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Paul, I have just bought another optical drive, an Asus, which Amazon will deliver tomorrow. Please see my other posting for details of the new drive and current situation. I understand the superior quality of dBpoweramp is worthwhile but not if I experience too many 'difficult' CD's and tracks thereon. I did read some of your posts before buying dBpoweramp.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

up to 2 hours and sometimes overnight! That sounds a bit extreme tbh, and what is hours of trying to rip a CD doing to your optical drive? I noted the warning given by dBpoweramp in the settings section re stressing of optical drives. What are your settings to allow the drive to go on all night? I have just changed the Secure Rip Abort to:

After 100 Frames, when Have to Re-Rip to 100 frames and After Ripping Track for 300 minutes but so far this hasn't made any difference, I'll try restarting dBpoweramp to see if the changes then become effective.
    Last edited by ChisChas; 10-06-2017 at 01:51 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Just checked, the C2 Error Pointers box was not ticked.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Deleted, duplicate post

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ChisChas View Post
    Just checked, the C2 Error Pointers box was not ticked.
    best approach will be trying a few different CD/DVD drives. I have good luck with some on different CDs, and this is unrelated to the cost of the drive. Sometimes a $5 drive rips something that a $150 drive won't.