title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: It's All About 'Style'

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: It's All About 'Style'

Hi,

I have just ripped a couple of Everly Brothers CDs. I have tagged them in the same way as I have tagged my Elvis CDs:

GENRE = Popular

STYLE = Rock & Roll

The Elvis I have is of his earlier works.

And so, would you use the GENRE 'Rock & Roll', or would you use 'Rockabilly', for both Artists?

I only own about 5 CDs in this STYLE (ie. Rock & Roll / Rockabilly). I mean, I do not have (say) 25 CDs of Jerry Lee Lewis, Little Richard, Buddy Holly (all of whom I would class as being 'Rock & Roll'). However, I do have - pending ripping - circa 15 CDs of The Beatles, and have not, as yet, considered how I am going to tag this latter-mentioned.

I could, I suppose, tag Elvis, The Everly Bros., and The Beatles all as:

STYLE = Rock & Roll

Many thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 05-02-2018 at 11:04 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: It's All About 'Style'

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    I could, I suppose, tag Elvis, The Everly Bros., and The Beatles all as:

STYLE = Rock & Roll
    They are all usually considered part of the Rock & Roll movement. It's a very flexible label.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    They are all usually considered part of the Rock & Roll movement. It's a very flexible label.
    Cheers, I will go along with that then.

Jailhouse Rock!
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 05-02-2018 at 03:28 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

I have ripped 500 CDs now in 12 months, and was checking the results so far using the SD-card on my Amazon Fire.

Today I have been tidying up the GENRE and STYLE tags (as some had errors and other were inappropriately categorized).

Here is a breakdown of my self-created Genre and Style tags (for anyone who may be interested):

GENREs = Choral, Classical, Country, Holistic, Jazz, Languages, Popular, Progressive Rock, Screen & Stage, Self-Development

STYLEs = Avante Garde, Baroque, Bebop, Blues Rock, Bossa Nova, Brazilian, Chamber, Contemporary, Cool, Disco, Easy Listening, Electro Pop, Experimental, Flamenco, Folk Rock, Free, Funk, Fusion, Hip Hop, House, Impressionism, Interview, Jazz, Jazz Pop, Latin, Meditation, Minimal, Modal, Modernism, Popular, Program, R&B, Recital, Religious, Remix, Rock&Roll, Rock Jazz, Romantic, Serial, Spiritual, Swing, Symphonic Rock, Vocalese, West Coast, 20th Century.

As I mentioned last year, I have tried to keep the GENREs down to the lowest-common-denominator.

Cheers,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Just curious. What is holistic and west Coast?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Just curious. What is holistic and west Coast?
    Hi Garym,

I had to check these myself!

HOLISTIC = Meditation, Chakra Balancing, and Buddha Chant.

WEST COAST = West-Coast style of (US) Jazz (in the 1950s). eg. Chet Baker, Dave Brubeck, Paul Desmond, and Art Pepper.

Cheers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Garym,

I had to check these myself!

HOLISTIC = Meditation, Chakra Balancing, and Buddha Chant.

WEST COAST = West-Coast style of (US) Jazz (in the 1950s). eg. Chet Baker, Dave Brubeck, Paul Desmond, and Art Pepper.

Cheers.
    Aha. Love Art Pepper stuff.

dBpoweramp Guru

Aha. Love Art Pepper stuff.
    'West Coast' is (I have sure you will have heard) is often referred to as 'Cool Jazz'. There's a lot of jargon-busting to wade through when tagging!

The is an Art Pepper biography; it must be about 30 years old. It's quite tragic, as was the Chet Baker story. And the Charlie Parker one!

Arguably, Pepper's best recording was in his early years: "Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section" (who were Miles Davis's Trio at that time).
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-25-2018 at 12:17 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

'West Coast' is (I have sure you will have heard) is often referred to as 'Cool Jazz'. There's a lot of jargon-busting to wade through when tagging!

The is an Art Pepper biography; it must be about 30 years old. It's quite tragic, as was the Chet Baker story. And the Charlie Parker one!

Arguably, Pepper's best recording was in his early years: "Art Pepper Meets The Rhythm Section" (who were Miles Davis's Trio at that time).
    Read it. ironically titled The Straight Life, co-written with his wife. And my favorite is that one too, Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section. Also like his early work with Gerry Mullugan and The Playboys album (Chet Baker and Art Pepper). All great work.

dBpoweramp Guru

Read it. ironically titled The Straight Life, co-written with his wife. And my favorite is that one too, Art Pepper Meets the Rhythm Section. Also like his early work with Gerry Mullugan and The Playboys album (Chet Baker and Art Pepper). All great work.
    Oh yes, it's called "Straight Life" after his song. I loaned to book to a fellow student at college in the 1990s but never got it back (I forgot about it). He was writing a 20k-word dissertation on "Jazz Music And Depression"! Hence he also took my Jaco Pastorious and Charlie Parker books.

Based upon what you mention, I think you would really enjoy this CD which has now been remastered and released in full. It is in the 'Cool Jazz' era and features a mind-blowing 20 year old Herbie Hancock. Also, Pepper Adams (another 'Pepper') on Baritone (sim. to Mulligan') and led by Trumpeter Donald Byrd. 30 years ago it was released on bootleg and had Miles Davis listed instead! (although everyone knew this was incorrect). You can sample it here:

Cheers.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-26-2018 at 03:02 PM. Reason: Link

dBpoweramp Guru

I think you would really enjoy this CD which has now been remastered and released in full. It is in the 'Cool Jazz' era and features a mind-blowing 20 year old Herbie Hancock. Also, Pepper Adams (another 'Pepper') on Baritone (sim. to Mulligan') and led by Trumpeter Donald Byrd. 30 years ago it was released on bootleg and had Miles Davis listed instead! (although everyone knew this was incorrect).
    I sampled it and I think I will enjoy it, too. It's on the list for my next CD-buying binge. Thanks, Paul.

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: It's All About 'Style'

I sampled it and I think I will enjoy it, too. It's on the list for my next CD-buying binge. Thanks, Paul.
    Great stuff. It's a kind of unappreciated classic, if you know what I mean.

It appears that, for the same CD ("Out Of This World"), the COMPLETE version (3GBP more expensive) consists of only 1 more track than the 'original'!?:

Is this correct, please?

Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Great stuff. It's a kind of unappreciated classic, if you know what I mean.

It appears that, for the same CD ("Out Of This World"), the COMPLETE version (3GBP more expensive) consists of only 1 more track than the 'original'!?
    It looks that way. The 'original' is missing "I'm an Old Cowhand."

Those prices are for the MP3 albums. The "Out of this World" CD is 17.78 GBP (and 23.98 USD). I see there is no CD listing for the other product.

dBpoweramp Guru

Oh yes, it's called "Straight Life" after his song. I loaned to book to a fellow student at college in the 1990s but never got it back (I forgot about it). He was writing a 20k-word dissertation on "Jazz Music And Depression"! Hence he also took my Jaco Pastorious and Charlie Parker books.

Based upon what you mention, I think you would really enjoy this CD which has now been remastered and released in full. It is in the 'Cool Jazz' era and features a mind-blowing 20 year old Herbie Hancock. Also, Pepper Adams (another 'Pepper') on Baritone (sim. to Mulligan') and led by Trumpeter Donald Byrd. 30 years ago it was released on bootleg and had Miles Davis listed instead! (although everyone knew this was incorrect). You can sample it here:

Cheers.
    thanks. looks like I can stream it too from my amazon prime. Also see it for streaming on Spotify, but called "Touchstone". All same songs with the addition of "Scoochie"

dBpoweramp Guru

It looks that way. The 'original' is missing "I'm an Old Cowhand."

Those prices are for the MP3 albums. The "Out of this World" CD is 17.78 GBP (and 23.98 USD). I see there is no CD listing for the other product.
    Thanks JH, I see now. I bought a couple of box-set MP3 albums over Xmas and NY. It (non-physical) seems to be the way forward in a lot of cases.