title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: It's All About 'Style'

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: It's All About 'Style'

Thanks Oggy,

Thats very interesting.

Yes, BrandX was with early Phil Collins. I would definitely say 'Jazz Rock'. There was a similar band in the North East called 'Back Door'. I think it was Sax, Bass and Drums? Though some might argue that they were all experimenters of early-FUSION.

Yes, I suppose the bigger your CD collection the likely hood of more and more 'Styles' rises. I am planning to try and stick with five or so 'Genres'; and the same total for 'Styles' - if possible.

Would you happen to notice, please, if when you add a 'Style' tag dBpa then creates a new FOLDER (ie. like it has a folder for each 'Genre')? I hope not because it will then mean folders-within-folders ... (a path I want to try and avoid this time round!).

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Thanks Oggy,

Thats very interesting.

Yes, BrandX was with early Phil Collins. I would definitely say 'Jazz Rock'. There was a similar band in the North East called 'Back Door'. I think it was Sax, Bass and Drums? Though some might argue that they were all experimenters of early-FUSION.

Yes, I suppose the bigger your CD collection the likely hood of more and more 'Styles' rises. I am planning to try and stick with five or so 'Genres'; and the same total for 'Styles' - if possible.

Would you happen to notice, please, if when you add a 'Style' tag dBpa then creates a new FOLDER (ie. like it has a folder for each 'Genre')? I hope not because it will then mean folders-within-folders ... (a path I want to try and avoid this time round!).

Paul
    Hi Paul,

No, a tag won't add a folder; your Genre folders come from your naming script.

The only reason that Genre, is more important than Style, to me, is because most players can search by Genre. Very handy for parties, Genre Party, Genre Disco, Genre Rave etc. and the festive season, Genre Christmas. I've taken the KISS, approach, very literally!!

One person's Classical, is anothers, Chamber, Opera, Piano Concerto, String Quartet, Symphonic etc. It really does come down to the size and make up, of a collection, and how easy you want to make finding, specific Genres / Styles.

Choices!

Oggy
    Last edited by Oggy; 09-26-2017 at 03:05 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: It's All About 'Style'

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    No, a tag won't add a folder; your Genre folders come from your naming script.

The only reason that Genre, is more important than Style, to me, is because most players can search by Genre. Very handy for parties, Genre Party, Genre Disco, Genre Rave etc. and the festive season, Genre Christmas. I've taken the KISS, approach, very literally!!

One person's Classical, is anothers, Chamber, Opera, Piano Concerto, String Quartet, Symphonic etc. It really does come down to the size and make up, of a collection, and how easy you want to make finding, specific Genres / Styles.
    Thanks Oggy,

I am pleased about the Folder! It's perfect as it is.

A Genre for 'Party'! lol But surely even this must vary depending on who is coming round?!

I agree, Genre is of greater importance of the two.

I can see how in 'Classical' that you may end up with ('Styles'): Baroque, String Quartet, Romantic, 20thC ...

Yes, not all players support the 'Style' tag.

Cheers,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi guys,

Which GENRE and STYLE would you place the 1960/70s band 'Blood, Sweat & Tears' in, please?

For now, I put them under:

Genre = Progressive-Rock

Style = Jazz-Rock

I don't feel this is quite correct though?

Psychedelic-Rock and Pop-Rock are also possibilities?

Many thanks,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

I would put B,S&T in my Pop/Rock genre. But then, with few exceptions, I put all Pop or Rock there. So I'm probably not much help.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi guys,

Which GENRE and STYLE would you place the 1960/70s band 'Blood, Sweat & Tears' in, please?

For now, I put them under:

Genre = Progressive-Rock

Style = Jazz-Rock

I don't feel this is quite correct though?

Psychedelic-Rock and Pop-Rock are also possibilities?

Many thanks,

Paul
    Hi Paul,

If I hadn't done away with my Genre Jazz Rock, (see the Brand X, post a few back, and I didn't use the hyphen), I would have used that.

If you want to search by Genre, use the Genre that most logically comes first to you.

I personally see it more Jazz Rock than Progressive Rock, but, that is totally irrelevant. To be useful, it's how you see it, otherwise, paraphrasing 10cc, it's tags for tags sake.

Style I've always left as the occasionally, "tagtastic", default entry!

Choices!!

Oggy
    Last edited by Oggy; 11-02-2017 at 12:36 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    If I hadn't done away with my Genre Jazz Rock, (see the Brand X, post a few back, and I didn't use the hyphen), I would have used that.

If you want to search by Genre, use the Genre that most logically comes first to you.

I personally see it more Jazz Rock than Progressive Rock, but, that is totally irrelevant. To be useful, it's how you see it, otherwise, paraphrasing 10cc, it's tags for tags sake.
    Cheers Oggy,

Jazz Rock is a possibility, thanks. I agree 'BS&T' are not really Prog. Rock; who's category I would reserve for the likes of: 'Genesis', 'Yes', and 'Emerson Lake & Palmer'.

I only have three GENRES so far:

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    I would put B,S&T in my Pop/Rock genre. But then, with few exceptions, I put all Pop or Rock there.
    JH,

I have not got around to ripping any Pop music as yet, and so I am not sure how such a category is likely to pan out. I will have to wait until I start on this genre to see exactly what content I have in my library.

Thanks,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Paul,

Your latest attachment is awaiting approval. It seems to me that PNG files trigger that, whereas JPG files do not. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.) If so, you may want to use JPG attachments if that isn't too inconvenient.

dBpoweramp Guru

I have not got around to ripping any Pop music as yet, and so I am not sure how such a category is likely to pan out.
    I strongly suspect it will be rather more complicated than my system. Options!

dBpoweramp Guru

Your latest attachment is awaiting approval. It seems to me that PNG files trigger that, whereas JPG files do not. (Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.) If so, you may want to use JPG attachments if that isn't too inconvenient.
    Thanks JH,

I will follow your kind suggestion:

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Well, Paul, I stand corrected; your JPG attachment is awaiting approval. <sigh>

dBpoweramp Guru

Well, Paul, I stand corrected; your JPG attachment is awaiting approval. <sigh>
    Ha Ha, cheers JH. I have reported the error. Paul

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Hi monsterjazzlick,

Your thread on Style is most interesting. I'm pretty new to this and so have a fundamental question.

On my dbpa main page I see no reference to a "style" tag. Where is it located? Where is an entry made?

How is it used?

Where does style information show up? I assume it shows up on your player app interface for selecting music, not in your file/folder-tree.

Don

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Don,

I will upload a screenshot for you tomorrow mate; unless someone else answers your question in the meantime.

Cheers,

Paul