title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About
 
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 66

Thread: It's All About 'Style'

  1. #31
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,649

    Lightbulb Re: It's All About 'Style'

    Quote Originally Posted by dbarnby View Post
    On my dbpa main page I see no reference to a "style" tag. Where is it located? Where is an entry made?

    How is it used?

    Where does style information show up? I assume it shows up on your player app interface for selecting music, not in your file/folder-tree.
    Don,


    Hope this helps ...

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 11-04-2017 at 12:34 PM. Reason: spelling

  2. #32
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Florida, USA
    Posts
    4,032

    Re: It's All About 'Style'

    Quote Originally Posted by dbarnby View Post
    Hi monsterjazzlick,

    Your thread on Style is most interesting. I'm pretty new to this and so have a fundamental question.

    On my dbpa main page I see no reference to a "style" tag. Where is it located? Where is an entry made?

    How is it used?

    Where does style information show up? I assume it shows up on your player app interface for selecting music, not in your file/folder-tree.

    Don
    STYLE is just another tag. If you "tick" next to it in the CD RIPPER options > Metadata and ID Tags Options, it will be added to your files. If the info is available in the online databases, it will be filled in when you rip. I don't use the style tag (I actually went back and did a batch delete of that tag in my ripped files). Do keep in mind that in my experience 99% of the time, the style information added was so wrong as to be laughable. Whoever included the style info had a bizarre interpretation of musical style (in my opinion). So if you use STYLE, you'll want to manually edit this tag upon ripping or afterwards with ID TAG editing. This is what monstorjazzlick does.

  3. #33
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    616

    Re: It's All About 'Style'

    Hi Paul,

    Just awaiting approval!

    The only thing that I would suggest for Don, is to check if the Bluesound, uses Style; it has its own app
    .

    Edit. Just seen garym's post. I agree that it simply another information tag, that will nearly always need user intervention. I personally believe it to be far more important to accurately enter Genre tags. Nearly all players and apps, and certainly Bluesound, use Genre, and it can be genuinely useful search tool.
    Last edited by Oggy; 11-04-2017 at 12:07 PM.

  4. #34
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,649

    Lightbulb Re: It's All About 'Style'

    Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Do keep in mind that in my experience 99% of the time, the style information added was so wrong as to be laughable. Whoever included the style info had a bizarre interpretation of musical style (in my opinion). So if you use STYLE, you'll want to manually edit this tag upon ripping or afterwards with ID TAG editing. This is what monstorjazzlick does.
    Don,

    I only use STYLE because I really do need! If you can do away with it then do so.

    As Gary says, I rip a bunch of CDs of similar ilk, and then evaluate (often with help from this forum!) which musical category they fall into. This additional info. is added post-ripping.

    I think I have mentioned this before but I view STYLE as being a kinda SUB-GENRE.

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 11-04-2017 at 12:42 PM. Reason: spelling

  5. #35
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,649

    Re: It's All About 'Style'

    Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Just awaiting approval!
    Oh dear. Perhaps you might be kind enough to notify the moderator, please? I am not able to because all three uploads are showing at my end.

    Thanks,

    Paul

  6. #36
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    616

    Re: It's All About 'Style'

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Oh dear. Perhaps you might be kind enough to notify the moderator, please? I am not able to because all three uploads are showing at my end.

    Thanks,

    Paul
    Hi Paul,

    Moderator contacted.

    It's great that Style, is working for you, and that dBpoweramp and Foobar, allow you to use this tag to be genuinely beneficial.

    The problem with tags, is that there are no real standards, and whilst dBpoweramp allows flexibility and personalisation, not all players and apps will display what, or how we may want. Your Sony (R.I.P.), didn't handle tags the same way as Foobar, and I guess the VLC app is more limited, too. My suggestion to Don, is that he checks how and what works on his Bluesound, including, Style.

    Progress is slowly being made, and it is good to see that FLAC files, have at least been acknowledged, by Apple and Microsoft........

  7. #37
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,649

    Re: It's All About 'Style'

    Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Moderator contacted.

    It's great that Style, is working for you, and that dBpoweramp and Foobar, allow you to use this tag to be genuinely beneficial.

    The problem with tags, is that there are no real standards, and whilst dBpoweramp allows flexibility and personalisation, not all players and apps will display what, or how we may want. Your Sony (R.I.P.), didn't handle tags the same way as Foobar, and I guess the VLC app is more limited, too. My suggestion to Don, is that he checks how and what works on his Bluesound, including, Style.

    Progress is slowly being made, and it is good to see that FLAC files, have at least been acknowledged, by Apple and Microsoft........
    Hi Oggy,

    Thanks for reporting the JPegs.

    Sony Walkman and VLC are not any where near able to handle tags other than the obvious ones. Whereas Foobar seems to deal with anything you care to throw at it! I have not even touched WMP since I ditched my horrendous WMA collection!

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 11-05-2017 at 12:11 PM. Reason: spelling

  8. #38
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    616

    Re: It's All About 'Style'

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Don,


    Hope this helps ...

    Paul
    Hi Paul,

    Your screenshots for Don are now OK.
    Last edited by Oggy; 11-06-2017 at 01:41 PM.

  9. #39
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,649

    Re: It's All About 'Style'

    Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Your screenshots for Don are now OK.
    Cheers Oggy,

    I hope they are helpful to Don.

    Paul

  10. #40

    Re: It's All About 'Style'

    If you wish more data about your genres, the Style tag would be a good to go.

  11. #41
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,649

    Question Re: It's All About 'Style'

    Hi guys,

    I am ripping my Keith Jarrett (solo-piano) recording of "The Well-Tempered Clavier" (J.S. Bach):


    For GENRE, I have tagged as 'CLASSICAL'. But what, please, would make a suitable definition of the STYLE? I do not want to use 'RECITAL' because I wish for the STYLE tag to be descriptive of the actual music (ie. not the performance setting); so, something like a sub-genre (as I have done with all of my other CDs).

    I just seem to have drawn a blank on this one!

    Many thanks in advance.

    Paul

    *Edit: If anyone knows of the location of this recording I would really be very grateful. I think it was recorded in Hamburg, but am cannot be certain. I scoured everywhere I know, but to no joy:

    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-07-2018 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Footnote

  12. #42
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,649

    Question Re: It's All About 'Style'

    Hi,

    Regarding my above comments, I am wondering if I should use the PERIOD tag in place of the STYLE (just for CLASSICAL genre CDs)?

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 03-07-2018 at 05:14 PM. Reason: spelling

  13. #43
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,649

    Question Re: It's All About 'Style'

    Hi,

    I am currently ripping a CD "Best Loved Hymns From York Minster":


    I include GENRE and STYLE tags in all of my rips. However, I am uncertain as to what data I should input into both of these fields, please?:

    GENRE = Classical

    STYLE = Choral

    or,

    GENRE = Choral

    STYLE = Religious

    Or whatever?!

    I ask because I have never tagged this type of music before, and so I would like to know if I need to create a newly dedicated GENRE. And also because I have some other church/vocal CDs (such as by composer Giovanni Palastrina) and wondered if the former falls into the same GENRE as the latter?

    Many thanks,

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 04-14-2018 at 08:09 AM. Reason: LINK

  14. #44
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    616

    Re: It's All About 'Style'

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi,

    I am currently ripping a CD "Best Loved Hymns From York Minster":


    I include GENRE and STYLE tags in all of my rips. However, I am uncertain as to what data I should input into both of these fields, please?:

    GENRE = Classical

    STYLE = Choral

    or,

    GENRE = Choral

    STYLE = Religious

    Or whatever?!

    I ask because I have never tagged this type of music before, and so I would like to know if I need to create a newly dedicated GENRE. And also because I have some other church/vocal CDs (such as by composer Giovanni Palastrina) and wondered if the former falls into the same GENRE as the latter?

    Many thanks,

    Paul
    Hi Paul,

    This comes down to that most personal of things: choices

    As you use Style and have very few Genre, you may prefer:

    Genre Classical

    Style Choral.

    I use and search by, Genre Choral. The Choral ones which are Religious, are rather obviously so!

    I should add that on the app I use, Style is not obviously visible, being on a secondary page, so one of the reasons that it isn't important for me and I don't use the Style tag.

    Choices!
    Last edited by Oggy; 04-14-2018 at 10:28 AM.

  15. #45
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,649

    Question Re: It's All About 'Style'

    Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    This comes down to that most personal of things: choices

    As you use Style and have very few Genre, you may prefer:

    Genre Classical

    Style Choral.

    I use and search by, Genre Choral.

    I should add that on the app I use, Style is on a secondary page, so one of the reasons that it isn't important for me.

    Choices!
    Oggy,

    GENRE = Classical

    STYLE = Choral

    I was kinda thinking towards this one actually. As you say, I try to limit my GENREs and therefore if I can bundle a CD into an already established GENRE, then I am more the happier. I have, maybe, only 5 CDs of this type, and so it may not be worthwhile creating an alternative GENRE to classical.

    Cheers.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •