title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: It's All About 'Style'

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    dBpoweramp Guru

Question It's All About 'Style'

Hi folks,

Having ripped over 40GB of my CD collection to FLAC, today I started on a different genre (Flora Purim & Airto).

Although they definitely fall under the genre of JAZZ, I am considering tagging them with the STYLE of 'Latin'. I was not ever going to use the latter tag but today I began to think that it may be worthwhile. I originally started out with the minimum amount of meta-data as possible but gradually - as I have become more converse with dBpa - I seem to be adding more information as I go along.

So for Jazz, you could include the 'styles': bebop, swing, latin, fusion, funk, and so on.

But do many people utilise the 'style' tag, please? I mean, would it be worthwhile stopping where I am and going back over each (100+!) CD and adding this is (I assume using the 'Edit Tag ID')? Or would you just stick to (as I planned): Jazz, Classical, Pop and Rock?

Many thanks,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: It's All About 'Style'

If you want more granular information about your genres, the Style tag would be a good way to accomplish it. Just make sure to use your definitions of style rather than what comes from the metadata providers. In my experience, those are worthless to the extent that I deleted them from all my files.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    If you want more granular information about your genres, the Style tag would be a good way to accomplish it. Just make sure to use your definitions of style rather than what comes from the metadata providers. In my experience, those are worthless to the extent that I deleted them from all my files.
    Thank a lot,

Yes, I noticed that what information is placed in by default is often contradictory. For instance, one Jazz CD I was ripping said: Swing, Rock, Blues, Ballad, Fusion! (or something like that); which is why I dismissed the option of using the 'Style' tag so early on.

Cheers,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: It's All About 'Style'

Hi,

Would it cause an issue if I did not have a 'Style' tag of ever CD?

I mean, For 'Flora Purim & Airto' I place them under a Jazz 'Genre' and a 'Latin' style; which is all well and good

But for, say, Miles Davis's "Circle In The Round" double-CD - which is whisk through all his different 'Genres' - then would you create a 'Style' tag for each and every track?!:

And as you will obviously be aware, you can have a Jazz album (say in the case of the 1970's band 'Weather Report') where the Genre is 'Jazz', the band is famously known as playing 'Fusion' music, but not every track (on certain CDs) is 'Fusion'. For example, they may (as they often do in their live gigs) perform a classic song by Duke Ellington (ie. of the 'Swing' era)! Or even Jimmy Hendrix:

In which case - for the latter two above - could you omit the 'Style' tag, or else write in 'VARIOUS'?

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-25-2017 at 09:29 AM. Reason: LINK

dBpoweramp Guru

You can put anything you want in a Style tag; use whatever works best for you. If a Genre tag is good enough as is, leave Style blank.

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: It's All About 'Style'

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    You can put anything you want in a Style tag; use whatever works best for you. If a Genre tag is good enough as is, leave Style blank.
    Cheers JH,

Ok.

But would you go to the extent of tagging a 'Style' for each individual track of an album, should they all be different? Or would you create a single overall tag of (say) 'VARIOUS' for the entire album (as per Miles Davis's "Circle In The Round" CD)? Or, would you simply not include a 'Style' tag, period, for such recordings?

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-25-2017 at 10:44 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi folks,

Having ripped over 40GB of my CD collection to FLAC, today I started on a different genre (Flora Purim & Airto).

Although they definitely fall under the genre of JAZZ, I am considering tagging them with the STYLE of 'Latin'. I was not ever going to use the latter tag but today I began to think that it may be worthwhile. I originally started out with the minimum amount of meta-data as possible but gradually - as I have become more converse with dBpa - I seem to be adding more information as I go along.

So for Jazz, you could include the 'styles': bebop, swing, latin, fusion, funk, and so on.

But do many people utilise the 'style' tag, please? I mean, would it be worthwhile stopping where I am and going back over each (100+!) CD and adding this is (I assume using the 'Edit Tag ID')? Or would you just stick to (as I planned): Jazz, Classical, Pop and Rock?

Many thanks,

Paul
    I really think this comes down to the breakdown of your collection. As I've said previously, I use all tags except Rating, but as Jailhouse mentioned, a lot of the providers', Style descriptions are "interesting"!

I do use Genre, and have 42 different genres, clearly the ultimate answer! Most of the providers chosen Genre, are also not how I would consider an artist. Genre and Style are only any real use to the user, if they reflect how the user views them.

Confession time! I've never looked at what the default, Style, is. I've never checked Style, after having ripped a CD, and probably never will.

However, if you find it useful, and defining individual tracks useful, then you have the option to do it. Stick with your convictions, because you are the one who needs to be delighted, with your library.

Personally, I'm still deciding which one of the 42 genres, to place, the BBC box set of the radio play for, The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.........
    Last edited by Oggy; 09-25-2017 at 02:17 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    But would you go to the extent of tagging a 'Style' for each individual track of an album, should they all be different? Or would you create a single overall tag of (say) 'VARIOUS' for the entire album (as per Miles Davis's "Circle In The Round" CD)? Or, would you simply not include a 'Style' tag, period, for such recordings?
    If I were to use Style as a way to differentiate the various flavors of a genre, I would tag each file individually as necessary. "Various" tells me nothing.

But as I mentioned before, I don't use Style at all--in fact, I removed the tag from all of my files and configured CD Ripper not to include it. Genre is as granular as I need to get.
    Last edited by Jailhouse; 09-25-2017 at 08:04 PM.