title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About
 
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 66

Thread: It's All About 'Style'

  1. #1
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,649

    Question It's All About 'Style'

    Hi folks,

    Having ripped over 40GB of my CD collection to FLAC, today I started on a different genre (Flora Purim & Airto).

    Although they definitely fall under the genre of JAZZ, I am considering tagging them with the STYLE of 'Latin'. I was not ever going to use the latter tag but today I began to think that it may be worthwhile. I originally started out with the minimum amount of meta-data as possible but gradually - as I have become more converse with dBpa - I seem to be adding more information as I go along.

    So for Jazz, you could include the 'styles': bebop, swing, latin, fusion, funk, and so on.

    But do many people utilise the 'style' tag, please? I mean, would it be worthwhile stopping where I am and going back over each (100+!) CD and adding this is (I assume using the 'Edit Tag ID')? Or would you just stick to (as I planned): Jazz, Classical, Pop and Rock?

    Many thanks,

    Paul

  2. #2
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    384

    Re: It's All About 'Style'

    If you want more granular information about your genres, the Style tag would be a good way to accomplish it. Just make sure to use your definitions of style rather than what comes from the metadata providers. In my experience, those are worthless to the extent that I deleted them from all my files.

  3. #3
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,649

    Re: It's All About 'Style'

    Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    If you want more granular information about your genres, the Style tag would be a good way to accomplish it. Just make sure to use your definitions of style rather than what comes from the metadata providers. In my experience, those are worthless to the extent that I deleted them from all my files.
    Thank a lot,

    Yes, I noticed that what information is placed in by default is often contradictory. For instance, one Jazz CD I was ripping said: Swing, Rock, Blues, Ballad, Fusion! (or something like that); which is why I dismissed the option of using the 'Style' tag so early on.

    Cheers,

    Paul

  4. #4
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,649

    Question Re: It's All About 'Style'

    Hi,

    Would it cause an issue if I did not have a 'Style' tag of ever CD?

    I mean, For 'Flora Purim & Airto' I place them under a Jazz 'Genre' and a 'Latin' style; which is all well and good

    But for, say, Miles Davis's "Circle In The Round" double-CD - which is whisk through all his different 'Genres' - then would you create a 'Style' tag for each and every track?!:


    And as you will obviously be aware, you can have a Jazz album (say in the case of the 1970's band 'Weather Report') where the Genre is 'Jazz', the band is famously known as playing 'Fusion' music, but not every track (on certain CDs) is 'Fusion'. For example, they may (as they often do in their live gigs) perform a classic song by Duke Ellington (ie. of the 'Swing' era)! Or even Jimmy Hendrix:


    In which case - for the latter two above - could you omit the 'Style' tag, or else write in 'VARIOUS'?

    Cheers,

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-25-2017 at 09:29 AM. Reason: LINK

  5. #5
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    384

    Re: It's All About 'Style'

    You can put anything you want in a Style tag; use whatever works best for you. If a Genre tag is good enough as is, leave Style blank.

  6. #6
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,649

    Question Re: It's All About 'Style'

    Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    You can put anything you want in a Style tag; use whatever works best for you. If a Genre tag is good enough as is, leave Style blank.
    Cheers JH,

    Ok.

    But would you go to the extent of tagging a 'Style' for each individual track of an album, should they all be different? Or would you create a single overall tag of (say) 'VARIOUS' for the entire album (as per Miles Davis's "Circle In The Round" CD)? Or, would you simply not include a 'Style' tag, period, for such recordings?

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-25-2017 at 10:44 AM. Reason: spelling

  7. #7
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    618

    Re: It's All About 'Style'

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi folks,

    Having ripped over 40GB of my CD collection to FLAC, today I started on a different genre (Flora Purim & Airto).

    Although they definitely fall under the genre of JAZZ, I am considering tagging them with the STYLE of 'Latin'. I was not ever going to use the latter tag but today I began to think that it may be worthwhile. I originally started out with the minimum amount of meta-data as possible but gradually - as I have become more converse with dBpa - I seem to be adding more information as I go along.

    So for Jazz, you could include the 'styles': bebop, swing, latin, fusion, funk, and so on.

    But do many people utilise the 'style' tag, please? I mean, would it be worthwhile stopping where I am and going back over each (100+!) CD and adding this is (I assume using the 'Edit Tag ID')? Or would you just stick to (as I planned): Jazz, Classical, Pop and Rock?

    Many thanks,

    Paul
    I really think this comes down to the breakdown of your collection. As I've said previously, I use all tags except Rating, but as Jailhouse mentioned, a lot of the providers', Style descriptions are "interesting"!

    I do use Genre, and have 42 different genres, clearly the ultimate answer! Most of the providers chosen Genre, are also not how I would consider an artist. Genre and Style are only any real use to the user, if they reflect how the user views them.

    Confession time! I've never looked at what the default, Style, is. I've never checked Style, after having ripped a CD, and probably never will.

    However, if you find it useful, and defining individual tracks useful, then you have the option to do it. Stick with your convictions, because you are the one who needs to be delighted, with your library.

    Personally, I'm still deciding which one of the 42 genres, to place, the BBC box set of the radio play for, The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy.........
    Last edited by Oggy; 09-25-2017 at 02:17 PM.

  8. #8
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,649

    Question Re: It's All About 'Style'

    Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    I really think this comes down to the breakdown of your collection. As I've said previously, I use all tags except Rating, but as Jailhouse mentioned, a lot of the providers', Style descriptions are "interesting"!

    I do use Genre, and have 42 different genres, clearly the ultimate answer! Most of the providers chosen Genre, are also not how I would consider an artist. Genre and Style are only any real use to the user, if they reflect how the user views them.

    Confession time! I've never looked at what the default, Style, is. I've never checked Style, after having ripped a CD, and probably never will.

    However, if you find it useful, and defining individual tracks useful, then you have the option to do it. Stick with your convictions, because you are the one who needs to be delighted, with your library.
    Hi Oggy,

    'Rating' is something which does not interest me. And up to now, I have been deleting all of the pre-configured 'Styles'.

    I am only using the jazz 'Genre' at the moment because I am ripping this section of my CD library first. 42 genres is a hell of a lot, I have to say! But obviously you must have a very wide collection.

    I won't be adding the 'Style' tag until I have finished ripping. Then I will have a much clearer view. But as I say, I can instantly see the benefit of having a Latin 'Style' added to certain Jazz CDs.

    Paul

  9. #9
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    384

    Re: It's All About 'Style'

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    But would you go to the extent of tagging a 'Style' for each individual track of an album, should they all be different? Or would you create a single overall tag of (say) 'VARIOUS' for the entire album (as per Miles Davis's "Circle In The Round" CD)? Or, would you simply not include a 'Style' tag, period, for such recordings?
    If I were to use Style as a way to differentiate the various flavors of a genre, I would tag each file individually as necessary. "Various" tells me nothing.

    But as I mentioned before, I don't use Style at all--in fact, I removed the tag from all of my files and configured CD Ripper not to include it. Genre is as granular as I need to get.
    Last edited by Jailhouse; 09-25-2017 at 08:04 PM.

  10. #10
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,649

    Question Re: It's All About 'Style'

    Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    If I were to use Style as a way to differentiate the various flavors of a genre, I would tag each file individually as necessary. "Various" tells me nothing.

    But as I mentioned before, I don't use Style at all--in fact, I removed the tag from all of my files and configured CD Ripper not to include it. Genre is as granular as I need to get.
    JH,

    I think what I would do is to tag only the albums where all tracks were of the same 'Style'. So, for Miles Davis's "Bitches Brew", tag the entire double-CD under the 'Style' of JAZZ-ROCK (or similar). And for Miles albums which mix both acoustic and electric jazz use no 'Style' tag whatsoever.

    At the end of the day, in running a search for a particular 'Style', I am looking for results of complete albums, and not individual tracks.

    Thanks,

    Paul

  11. #11
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    384

    Re: It's All About 'Style'

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    At the end of the day, in running a search for a particular 'Style', I am looking for results of complete albums, and not individual tracks.
    As always, the best method is that which works best for you. It looks like you have your solution for this one.

  12. #12
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,649

    Re: It's All About 'Style'

    Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    As always, the best method is that which works best for you. It looks like you have your solution for this one.
    JH, If I start tagging a 'Style' per track, then the job of ripping is never going to get completed! In this instance, I think it's a case of adding only what (info.) is necessary. Paul

  13. #13
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Sep 2016
    Location
    Michigan, USA
    Posts
    384

    Re: It's All About 'Style'

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    JH, If I start tagging a 'Style' per track, then the job of ripping is never going to get completed! In this instance, I think it's a case of adding only what (info.) is necessary. Paul
    You should only have to do your tagging once, whatever it is you want to tag, with only minor tweaks afterward.

    That said, I agree on the "add only what's necessary" bit. The hard part, at least early on, is deciding just what is necessary.
    Last edited by Jailhouse; 09-26-2017 at 01:24 PM. Reason: Punctuation

  14. #14
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,649

    Question Re: It's All About 'Style'

    Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    You should only have to do your tagging once, whatever it is you want to tag, with only minor tweaks afterward.

    That said, I agree on the "add only what's necessary" bit. The hard part, at least early on, is deciding just what is necessary.
    JH,

    Once everything is ripped (which I can't see being this side of Xmas! - despite my hard efforts), I will then go over what I have and sub-categorise the 'Genres' with a 'Style' - if needed.

    There are so many terms for different Jazz musics that I don't even know what they all mean! So a bit of research is needed on my part. I can't really see me using more than (say) five different 'Styles' for Jazz music. And as I said, for some of them I won't even include such a tag.

    Cheers,

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-26-2017 at 01:45 PM. Reason: spelling

  15. #15
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    618

    Re: It's All About 'Style'

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    At the end of the day, in running a search for a particular 'Style', I am looking for results of complete albums, and not individual tracks.
    Hi Paul,

    Out of interest, I went searching for the "Style" tags, of an album you may be familiar with.

    The album is, Brand X, Unorthodox Behaviour, which I originally tagged as, Genre Jazz Rock

    When I was trying to reduce (!!) the number of genres, down to 42, Jazz Rock became the more generic Jazz. Ska, Lovers Rock etc became Reggae, and Latin, along with Celtic and other world music became, World. Even though the original genre, was more accurate, searching by Genre, still works for me. If I had a larger number of albums of the specific genres, I would use a more specific Genre, but can't see the point for two or three artists, and ending up with 50+ genres. A colleague had 140+

    I believe that the balance and size of a music library, is what affects the choice of certain tags, particularly, Genre (and Style). Searching by Genre, is beneficial for me, when I'm having "senior moments", or I want, a 50s, 60s, 70s, 80's, 90s, compilation, quickly.

    The "Style" tag for Brand X, was the third level down, of a certain view, on my app, and though not named, Style, showed, Fusion / Jazz-Rock / Art Rock.

    Royal Blood, which I tagged, Genre Rock, showed as Alternative Rock.

    Not sure that any of this helps you, but before you mentioned, Style, even though I knew I had kept the providers, Style, entry, I had never looked for it, post rip! Talking to a couple of work colleagues, they didn't know that they had ripped, Style, and loads of other tags.......

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •