title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Change prefix of "The" in Album artist only

Question Change prefix of "The" in Album artist only

How can I have this naming? When I select the checkbox to change the "The" location, it changes both.
    I'd like to be able to have Beatles in the B's sorted, but when displayed on any media player, show up as "The Beatles".

Album Artist = Beatles, The
    Artist = The Beatles

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Change prefix of "The" in Album artist only

Quote Originally Posted by Hobizal View Post
    How can I have this naming? When I select the checkbox to change the "The" location, it changes both.
    I'd like to be able to have Beatles in the B's sorted, but when displayed on any media player, show up as "The Beatles".

Album Artist = Beatles, The
    Artist = The Beatles
    Yes.

Album Artist = The Beatles
    Album Artist Sort = Beatles, The
    Artist = The Beatles
    Artist Sort = Beatles, The

Your media player will need to support sort tags. Any decent player will.

Tried several players, and setting the Album Artist Sort and Artist sort checkbox. They still displayed both as "Beatles, The".
    If I uncheck "Replace the Artist with "Artist, The"", then it shows both the Artist and Album artist as "The Beatles". But that categorizes it under "T"'s. I'd rather have it categorized in the B's.

dBpoweramp Guru

Tried several players, and setting the Album Artist Sort and Artist sort checkbox. They still displayed both as "Beatles, The".
    Setting the Album Artist Sort and Artist sort checkbox only affects new CDs you rip. It does not affect any tags post rip.

If I uncheck "Replace the Artist with "Artist, The"", then it shows both the Artist and Album artist as "The Beatles". But that categorizes it under "T"'s. I'd rather have it categorized in the B's.
    then it shows both the Artist and Album artist as "The Beatles". What is it, in the case you describe here?

I tried ripping new CD's after selecting the checkboxes. "It" is the Artist I want displayed correctly.
    I want to categorize the Artist "The Beatles", under B's (Beatles, The) for easy searching. But when the player displays the artist, I want the player to show "The Beatles".

dBpoweramp Guru

I tried ripping new CD's after selecting the checkboxes. "It" is the Artist I want displayed correctly.
    I want to categorize the Artist "The Beatles", under B's (Beatles, The) for easy searching. But when the player displays the artist, I want the player to show "The Beatles".
    If you follow what garym posted, and as mville confirmed, new rips will display as The Beatles, under B, on your player and app: if your media player supports sort tags.

In Windows, the folder will display as, The Beatles, under T.

Any CDs previously ripped, and displaying as, Beatles, The, can be changed with dBpoweramp ID Tags, using the rules garym stated.
    Last edited by Oggy; 09-23-2017 at 02:03 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

"It" is the Artist I want displayed correctly.
    I was asking what you meant by it shows i.e. in which application are you seeing The Beatles, sorted under T. Maybe it does not support sort tags.

I know what you want and I have answered in post no. 2.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    If you follow what garym posted ...
    Strange, I don't see any post from garym.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Strange, I don't see any post from garym.
    Sorry, mville, it was of course, your self-explanatory, post! Obviously too early in the morning.....

Yes, follow what mville mentioned!!

The only time that I have The Beatles, displaying under T, is not unreasonably, in Windows, BUT, my players and apps, support, sort tags.
    Last edited by Oggy; 09-23-2017 at 05:00 AM.

I was asking what you meant by it shows i.e. in which application are you seeing The Beatles, sorted under T. Maybe it does not support sort tags.

I know what you want and I have answered in post no. 2.
    The applications I've tried are Foobar2000, Win10 media player, my car stereo, and apps on my Android Samsung S8 phone. All display the artist incorrectly and don't sort The Beatles under "B's". All of these players still sort the Beatles under "T's" instead.

dBpoweramp Guru

The applications I've tried are Foobar2000, Win10 media player, my car stereo, and apps on my Android Samsung S8 phone. All display the artist incorrectly and don't sort The Beatles under "B's". All of these players still sort the Beatles under "T's" instead.
    I don't know why, but something is wrong. I use Asset UPnP and foobar2000 and my Beatles albums are showing under B, after The Beat and before Bee Gees.

I don't know why, but something is wrong. I use Asset UPnP and foobar2000 and my Beatles albums are showing under B, after The Beat and before Bee Gees.
    Maybe I'm using the wrong settings. Should I be selecting the option "Replace 'The Artist' with 'Artist, The'"?
    I tried unselecting this option, and then it puts the beatles under T's, and still doesn't sort them under B's like I want.
    The only way I can get the beatles to show under B's, is to select that option. Then it shows "Beatles, The" in the player too, which i dont want.

dBpoweramp Guru

Maybe I'm using the wrong settings. Should I be selecting the option "Replace 'The Artist' with 'Artist, The'"?
    Only select that option if it is what you want. FYI, I do not have the Replace 'The [artist]' with '[artist], The' option selected.