title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Problem handling of multi-disc albums

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Problem handling of multi-disc albums

Whenver I have tried Asset, including the new Linux beta 4 for version 6, I have never been able to configure Asset so that track listings via iOS Kazoo display in a sensible manner for multi-disc albums. Here is an example of a two-disc album where the Disc tag is in 1/2 and 2/2 format and there is no disc number in the Album tag. First screen shot is based on all Asset's multi-disc options disabled, so I would expect that the track numbering for the second disc would just re-set after the first disc. In the screen shot we can see the final tracks of the first disc which are numbered correctly, then everything goes awry with the second disc.

In the second example, I have enabled Asset's option: Multi-Disc Albums show as '[Disc] [Track] [Title]' (by the way, it's really exasperating that tweaking these settings causes an entire library rescan). Anyway, with this option, two things go wrong. Firstly, the displayed format for the first disc is actually track number followed by disc, rather than the other way round. Then everything goes awry for the second disc, as per the first example. The files are FLAC created by dBpoweramp.

IMG_20170910_144607.jpg

IMG_20170910_145932.jpg

Any tips on what might be going wrong?
    Last edited by ac16161; 09-10-2017 at 10:10 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Problem handling of multi-disc albums

Are the second disc track numbers OK?

Are you able to use another player, to reproduce this issue and rule out a problem with the iOS Kazoo app.

(It may be a problem in your Asset version, but I do know the Asset Multi-Disc option [Disc] [Track] [Title], works fine in Asset for Windows)

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Are the second disc track numbers OK?

Are you able to use another player, to reproduce this issue and rule out a problem with the iOS Kazoo app.

(It may be a problem in your Asset version, but I do know the Asset Multi-Disc option [Disc] [Track] [Title], works fine in Asset for Windows)
    I have no issues with iOS Kazoo + Minimserver which is my day-to-day choice, but periodically I look at Asset again as it has a couple of features missing from Minimserver (though I prefer Minimserver in other ways). However, when I do come back to Asset, I tend to find glitches like this that send me away again.

dBpoweramp Guru

Asset for non-Windows platforms is fairly recent, so it's probably a bug.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I just tried iOS Kinsky and the formatting corruption is not as bad as Kazoo but it's clear that there are still issues.

IMG_20170910_160958.jpg

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ac16161 View Post
    I just tried iOS Kinsky and the formatting corruption is not as bad as Kazoo but it's clear that there are still issues.

IMG_20170910_160958.jpg
    I don't see an issue, please explain what you mean by formatting corruption?

... what is odd though, is why are your disc 1 track numbers are 1-28, but disc 2 start at 101, something I asked/alluded to in post no. 2, which you ignored?
    Last edited by mville; 09-10-2017 at 11:21 AM. Reason: extra question

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I don't see an issue, please explain what you mean by formatting corruption?

... what is odd though, is why are your disc 1 track numbers are 1-28, but disc 2 start at 101, something I asked/alluded to in post no. 2, which you ignored?
    "which you ignored" - let's keep things polite? :-)

The track numbers on disc 2 are regular track numbers, they do not start at 101 when viewed in Mp3Tag, when opened in dBpoweramp's tag editor, when viewed by Minimserver, when opened in Foobar etc. The track numbering goes wrong only when the album is accessed via Asset. One of the screen shots from iOS Kazoo showed that the track numbers for the second disc are not displayed properly at all, whereas with Kinsky there is at least a whole number displayed, albeit the incorrect one.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ac16161 View Post
    "which you ignored" - let's keep things polite? :-)

The track numbers on disc 2 are regular track numbers, they do not start at 101 when viewed in Mp3Tag, when opened in dBpoweramp's tag editor, when viewed by Minimserver, when opened in Foobar etc. The track numbering goes wrong only when the album is accessed via Asset. One of the screen shots from iOS Kazoo showed that the track numbers for the second disc are not displayed properly at all, whereas with Kinsky there is at least a whole number displayed, albeit the incorrect one.
    Absolutely, no problems here. What I mean is you ignored the question, which led me to assume that there is no problem with the track numbers, when in fact this could well be the heart of the issue.

How do the 2 discs' track numbers appear in dBpa's tag editor?

I avoid this completely by ripping the multiple discs as 1/1 after applying track number offset in dbpoweramp.

Just a thought...

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Absolutely, no problems here. What I mean is you ignored the question, which led me to assume that there is no problem with the track numbers, when in fact this could well be the heart of the issue.

How do the 2 discs' track numbers appear in dBpa's tag editor?
    The track numbers are fine when viewed in dBpa's tag editor and as mentioned previously, the track numbers only misbehave when accessed via Asset. I've just looked at another album which was a download (3 discs), and on each change of disc number, browsing Asset with Kinsky/Kazoo increments the track number by 100. So disc 2 tracks run from 101 to ...., disc 3 tracks from 201 to ...., etc. So an imputed track number is coming from somewhere that is not in the tags. In terms of display corruption, I've noticed Kazoo can sometimes display the 3-digit track numbers but mostly does not, whereas Kinsky can show them. Also the tag display order is wrong, i.e. it ought to be disc, track, title and not track, disc, title (see images in previous posts). Really curious to know where the track number imputation is coming from.

Administrator

Set the option 'multi-disc album' to 'leave album tag untouched'

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by Spoon View Post
    Set the option 'multi-disc album' to 'leave album tag untouched'
    Thanks for the advice. Can you point me to where that option is in the Linux version, can't see an option matching that description.