title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pre-Emphasis Newbie... What do I need to do?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Pre-Emphasis Newbie... What do I need to do?

Quote Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
    With the PE tag box ticked in CDRipper Options >> Meta Data & ID Tag >> Write ID Tags, when ripping a CD WITHOUT PE, should there be no tag written whatsoever for PE? Or should there be a PE tag, but with a value of No or zero?
    If a CD does not have pre-emphasis, no tag is written.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Dread View Post
    In my above scenarios, does it make sense that de-emphasis is being applied twice (see post 9, point 3)?
    It does not make sense that deemphasis is being applied twice, if you only have 1 deemphasis component installed. What you describe, implies a problem in your foobar2000 setup.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

A quick update...

It turned out that the foo_dsp_effect package I had installed (an older version) included a de-emphasiser as well, and it seems that was the cause of the issue. I uninstalled it and all is well. I remain confused that even when the old foo_dsp_effect package was installed, I had not activated the de-emphasis dsp... I can only presume it acts on files with a PE tag even when not activated.

I have since installed the up to date foo_dsp_effect package and it would seem the de-emphasis dsp is no longer included in it.

It has left with with some other questions and ponderings which I have raised over in the HA forum:

https://hydrogenaud.io/index.php/topic,114610.0.html

If you (or anyone) have anything to say about those, then please chip in!

Either way, thanks for all the help you've given me

dBpoweramp Guru

Glad you got it sorted re. the foo_dsp_effect. I thought it was something like this, hence my earlier point about applying other non-deemphasis EQ/DSP.

Regarding foo_dsp_deemph (from the foobar2000 site):
    To CD de-emphasize a track automatically, add a tag named PRE_EMPHASIS or PRE-EMPHASIS with a value of "1", or "on" or "yes". Other tracks are unaffected.