title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

How can I force AccurateRip to retest key discs and set new offset information?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BillDem3D
    • Jul 2017

How can I force AccurateRip to retest key discs and set new offset information?

Somehow, I don't think the offsets stored in AccurateRip match up with the drive in my Nimbie autoloader. It rejects literally every disc I insert. How can I force AccurateRip to retest the offsets?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: How can I force AccurateRip to retest key discs and set new offset information?

Drive offsets would not cause the batch ripper to reject any discs. What is the reason given for the reject?
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• BillDem3D
      • Jul 2017

Re: How can I force AccurateRip to retest key discs and set new offset information?

Originally posted by Spoon
      Drive offsets would not cause the batch ripper to reject any discs. What is the reason given for the reject?
      The majority of the reject messages list the error as "no cd after load," which is obviously false. The rest of the rejects say, "ripping error" after about 60 seconds of trying. When using either Batch Ripper or CD Ripper from dbPoweramp, every disc I attempt to rip gets rejected, returning one of those two error messages.

I tested hundreds of different discs during the first two frustrating weeks, in order to get a statistically significant sample size showing a 100% reject rate with zero outliers. Then, while searching online for a possible solution, I saw a list of designated key discs for AccurateRip, so I picked 4 discs from my collection which were on that list. I have been using those four discs exclusively to test for the past couple weeks.

Special Notes:
      Keep in mind that I can play the recordings on these audio CDs directly using the same Nimbie drive with zero audible glitches/stutters/artifacts in the music. I can also rip the CDs using the Nimbie as long as I use other software than dbPoweramp. The dbPoweramp applications are the only ones which won't rip these discs. Every program I've tried with the Nimbie reports that it successfully ripped these test discs with zero errors. Unfortunately, the other programs don't support AccurateRip, so I cannot actually verify whether truly "zero error" files are being produced by those rippers. The resulting FLAC files definitely sound good, but whether the rips are actually bit-perfect is unknown. Lastly, I get exactly the same errors using two different Nimbie machines. Acronova sent me a second machine to test in order to help me solve this issue. Because some valuable information is lost after the music CD has been ripped, I really want AccurateRip running during the rip stage. I don't want to rip with a different program, then run AccurateRip on the resulting FLAC file structure later. I just want to be able to use the dbPoweramp reference software I purchased.

Comment

• BillDem3D
        • Jul 2017

Oops! I forgot the third error message I've been getting. "Not Audio CD." That's also false because I only buy plain audio CDs. No apps. No PC-only special features. Just music CDs.

Comment

• Spoon
          Administrator
          • Apr 2002

Which security software are you using?

Have you only got 1 cd drive? or 2 drives? (one the nimbie and built in drive)
          Spoon
          www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• BillDem3D
            • Jul 2017

Which security software are you using?

Have you only got 1 cd drive? or 2 drives? (one the nimbie and built in drive)
            I'm using Microsoft's "Windows Defender." At one point during trouble shooting, I disabled the security software for a few attempts. It didn't make a difference. The batch ripper definitely has access to the Internet because it can load the meta data for each disc, even with Defender active. It just can't rip the music.

I have both a DVD writer and a Blu-ray writer installed internally on my desktop machine. Both can read and rip music without any trouble. So, including the external Nimbie, I normally have had a total of 3 optical drives connected during my testing. The Nimbie has a Pioneer BDR-209M Blu-ray writer inside it. The Nimbie is attached to a USB 3.0 port. It's Acronova's latest USB 3.0 version of the device. (I wonder if everyone who is having trouble with their Nimbie is using the same new USB 3 version.) I've tried using a USB 2 cable connected to a USB 2 port on the Nimbie and it didn't make any difference. Yesterday, I plugged in the second Nimbie on loan from Acronova.. So, I have a total of four optical drives connected at this particular moment, but my weeks of testing has been done with only 3. Both Nimbies show up perfectly in Windows. Both can rip when using other software. Both reject every disc when using dbPoweramp Batch Ripper. Both are recognized and configured by "Batch Ripper - Configuration" as "Nimbie." Both are able to run at the same time. Neither is able to successfully rip a disc.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

As a test, disconnect the internal drives please.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• BillDem3D
                • Jul 2017

As a test, disconnect the internal drives please.
                I already tried to post a response once, but it never showed up. So, I'm trying again.

This morning, I disconnected all optical drives except one Nimbie machine. I ran the 4 CDs I'm testing through Batch Ripper on the Nimbie after configuring. All 4 were rejected. The error message was, "Ripping Error" on all 4. At least the error message is consistent now.

What should I try next?
                -Bill

Debug/Notes From Rip
                --------------------
                dBpoweramp Batch Ripper
                Batch Name:
                Batch ID: 50009
                Using Profile: Profile From 8-21-2017
                Batch Rip Started: 9/2/2017 09:39:34

[PID: 16588] Running Loader: "C:\Program Files\dBpoweramp\BatchRipper\Loaders\Nimbie\Pre-Batch\Pre-Batch.exe" --drive="N" --logfile="C:\Users\bill\AppData\Local\Temp\dBB6A8B. tmp" --passerrorsback="C:\Users\bill\AppData\Local\Temp\d BB6A8C.tmp"
                [PID: 16588] Init Nimbie: Connecting to Nimbie: Close Nimbie: Closed

[PID: 1668] Running Loader: "C:\Program Files\dBpoweramp\BatchRipper\Loaders\Nimbie\Load\L oad.exe" --drive="N" --rejectifnodisc --logfile="C:\Users\bill\AppData\Local\Temp\dBB70B7. tmp" --passerrorsback="C:\Users\bill\AppData\Local\Temp\d BB70B8.tmp"
                [PID: 1668] Init Nimbie: Connecting to Nimbie: Close Nimbie: Closed

[PID: 9684] Running Loader: "C:\Program Files\dBpoweramp\BatchRipper\Loaders\Nimbie\Reject \Reject.exe" --drive="N" --logfile="C:\Users\bill\AppData\Local\Temp\dBB83DF. tmp" --passerrorsback="C:\Users\bill\AppData\Local\Temp\d BB83E0.tmp"
                [PID: 9684] Init Nimbie: Connecting to Nimbie: Close Nimbie: Closed

Disc 1: Madonna - Ray Of Light Reject 1: Ripping Error
                Error ripping to , 'All Tracks' to 'All Tracks'
                Unable to Read CD Disc, is Audio CD?
                [PID: 10816] Running Loader: "C:\Program Files\dBpoweramp\BatchRipper\Loaders\Nimbie\Load\L oad.exe" --drive="N" --rejectifnodisc --logfile="C:\Users\bill\AppData\Local\Temp\dBBCDFB. tmp" --passerrorsback="C:\Users\bill\AppData\Local\Temp\d BBCDFC.tmp"
                [PID: 10816] Init Nimbie: Connecting to Nimbie: Close Nimbie: Closed

[PID: 12764] Running Loader: "C:\Program Files\dBpoweramp\BatchRipper\Loaders\Nimbie\Reject \Reject.exe" --drive="N" --logfile="C:\Users\bill\AppData\Local\Temp\dBB34A7. tmp" --passerrorsback="C:\Users\bill\AppData\Local\Temp\d BB34A8.tmp"
                [PID: 12764] Init Nimbie: Connecting to Nimbie: Close Nimbie: Closed

Disc 2: Bob Marley & The Wailers - Legend (The Best Of Bob Marley And The Wailers) Reject 2: Ripping Error
                [PID: 15444] Running Loader: "C:\Program Files\dBpoweramp\BatchRipper\Loaders\Nimbie\Load\L oad.exe" --drive="N" --rejectifnodisc --logfile="C:\Users\bill\AppData\Local\Temp\dBB7F8E. tmp" --passerrorsback="C:\Users\bill\AppData\Local\Temp\d BB7F8F.tmp"
                [PID: 15444] Init Nimbie: Connecting to Nimbie: Close Nimbie: Closed

[PID: 16048] Running Loader: "C:\Program Files\dBpoweramp\BatchRipper\Loaders\Nimbie\Reject \Reject.exe" --drive="N" --logfile="C:\Users\bill\AppData\Local\Temp\dBBE946. tmp" --passerrorsback="C:\Users\bill\AppData\Local\Temp\d BBE957.tmp"
                [PID: 16048] Init Nimbie: Connecting to Nimbie: Close Nimbie: Closed

Disc 3: No Doubt - Tragic Kingdom Reject 3: Ripping Error
                [PID: 6176] Running Loader: "C:\Program Files\dBpoweramp\BatchRipper\Loaders\Nimbie\Load\L oad.exe" --drive="N" --rejectifnodisc --logfile="C:\Users\bill\AppData\Local\Temp\dBB33EF. tmp" --passerrorsback="C:\Users\bill\AppData\Local\Temp\d BB33F0.tmp"
                [PID: 6176] Init Nimbie: Connecting to Nimbie: Close Nimbie: Closed

[PID: 15492] Running Loader: "C:\Program Files\dBpoweramp\BatchRipper\Loaders\Nimbie\Reject \Reject.exe" --drive="N" --logfile="C:\Users\bill\AppData\Local\Temp\dBBDF8A. tmp" --passerrorsback="C:\Users\bill\AppData\Local\Temp\d BBDF8B.tmp"
                [PID: 15492] Init Nimbie: Connecting to Nimbie: Close Nimbie: Closed

Disc 4: Seal - Seal Reject 4: Ripping Error
                [PID: 16460] Running Loader: "C:\Program Files\dBpoweramp\BatchRipper\Loaders\Nimbie\Load\L oad.exe" --drive="N" --rejectifnodisc --logfile="C:\Users\bill\AppData\Local\Temp\dBB4414. tmp" --passerrorsback="C:\Users\bill\AppData\Local\Temp\d BB4415.tmp"
                [PID: 16460] Init Nimbie: Connecting to Nimbie: Close Nimbie: Closed

Batch Ended: 9/2/2017 09:47:14
                Ripped: 0 Discs
                Rejected: 4 Discs

Comment

• Spoon
                  Administrator
                  • Apr 2002

>Unable to Read CD Disc, is Audio CD?

This is an error indicative that the drive in the Nimbie is not working correctly with your computer. It could be the drive, it could be the chipset you have, it is hard to tell. CD Ripper is actively used on 100,000's of computers and we rarely come across this error.
                  Spoon
                  www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• BillDem3D
                    • Jul 2017

>Unable to Read CD Disc, is Audio CD?

This is an error indicative that the drive in the Nimbie is not working correctly with your computer. It could be the drive, it could be the chipset you have, it is hard to tell. CD Ripper is actively used on 100,000's of computers and we rarely come across this error.
                    The possibility that it was a drive problem was the reason Acronova sent me a second brand new Nimbie. We were trying to minimize the possibility of the issue being the a faulty Nimbie. The likelihood of two different Nimbies consistently returning the same exact errors should be significantly smaller than testing a single unit. But keep in mind that trying two different units wasn't the only thing I tried in an effort to make sure it wasn't a drive issue. I also ran a number of other ripping programs with both Nimbies. Literally all of the other programs I've tried work perfectly. Zero errors. Zero glitches or pauses to indicate the Nimbie was having trouble reading the discs. Both Nimbies are also able to play the music tracks on the audio CDs using at least half a dozen different audio player programs that I've tried. To me, these test results serve to verify two things. First, both Nimbies can (and obviously do) read the audio CDs just fine. Secondly, all other software I've tested is able to recognize, read, and play music CDs using both Nimbie drives without any errors. Given these two facts, I don't see how I could logically accept the conclusion that there is something wrong with the drive. These facts also all but eliminate the possibility that the Windows driver for the Nimbie could be the issue. Either a broken driver or faulty hardware would normally affect the CD access of all software equally. Weeks of testing with two different Nimbies and lots of software has demonstrated to me that only the dbPoweramp ripping software has trouble using the drive. On the other hand, I will admit there is a reasonable chance your stated conclusion might be based on insider knowledge which I don't have, especially if you personally wrote the Batch Ripper code. But based on my troubleshooting and my historical experience, the only logical conclusion I can support is that there is an unknown, rare issue hidden in some fairly unique and obscure portion of the dbPoweramp ripping code. Yes, I was reaching a bit when I suggested that AccurateRip might be flagging all the discs as rejects based on the possibility that it is using an incorrectly set drive offset value. My assumption was that the data streams being compared by AccurateRip would not match if the track data was ripped starting at the wrong location on the disc.

I'm sincerely not trying to offend you. But before you discount my conclusions completely, I feel I should give you a bit of background information about me. I have a BS in Computer Science and a Masters in Project Management. I spent most of my life writing and debugging code before I retired. I've programmed in at least two dozen different computer languages on a fairly wide variety of CPUs & OSes. This included writing a fair amount of hand crafted assembly code for the PC. I wrote my first computer code in high school (before the PC or Apple || were available ~1976-1977) by manually entering machine code using a hexadecimal keypad on a refrigerator sized computer with only 4k of RAM. The last half of my career was spent working as a PC game programmer at a number of different small game development companies. I worked on sub-contracted games for Activision, Electronic Arts, Viacom, DC True, and others. On my very first Windows project, one of the things I wrote was triple buffered code running in a tiny sliver of RAM for Windows XP which continuously played Redbook audio CD tracks in the background of arcade style "twitch" games running at 200+fps using Win32. The CD audio code was unique because it ran without the usual (at the time) annoying display freezes caused by the optical drive seeking to a new track. My code was still being reused over and over in a number of other games even after I retired. I received occasional thank you emails from other developers for years. My point is I have extensive experience using deductive reasoning to narrow down the possible causes of code misbehavior. So, unless dbPoweramp is doing something particularly tricky/risky, like directly manipulating the hardware of the optical drive, rather than using the abstraction layer provided by the standard Windows optical drive interface, my experience tells me that the dbPoweramp code should behave similarly to any other program which is correctly using the same Windows interface. Unfortunately, this isn't the case because everything else I've tried works perfectly and only dbPoweramp's ripper doesn't work.

Like I said before, I'm not trying to create conflict, because I understand the complexity of modern software, and frankly your ripping software is far more capable than anything else I've seen. In order to avoid creating conflict, it is generally my habit when I contact tech support, to act and respond like a run-of-the-mill customer who wasn't a lifetime professional coder. I'm not trying to be sneaky or anything. I do it so I don't bias or otherwise alter the normal tech support responses to questions. I do it because I fully realize that there is ALWAYS the possibility I've overlooked something important in my troubleshooting efforts. I prefer getting unedited tech support responses because they have provided me with additional avenues for troubleshooting in more than a few cases. I'm only telling you my background now to point out that I have spent weeks trying things most people wouldn't even know to try before I came here looking for answers/suggestions. I also wanted you to know that my troubleshooting efforts have been based on an above average understanding of the coded mechanisms running behind the scenes. In other words, I'm just trying to help isolate the problem logically (and hopefullly without pissing anyone off) so we can solve it quicker.

Toward that end, do you have any other suggestions or additional tests I could try which would help narrow down the exact cause? I haven't found any other ripper that combines AccurateRip file verification with the highly complex conditional path creation your software supports. So, unlike most users I am fairly motivated to help get this working, rather than simply requesting a refund because it doesn't work.

Let me know what to do.
                    Thanks for all the help.
                    -Bill

Comment

• BillDem3D
                      • Jul 2017

Today, I plan to switch to a different computer to try to get this to work. If there is some strange incompatibility caused by my particular motherboard, BIOS, CPU, chipset, memory, or other hardware device, switching to a completely different computer should make a difference. I actually have 3 other computers, which a very rarely use for anything other than hosting network functions. I'll keep trying different computers until I find one that works. Then, I'll compare that combination of components to my primary desktop in order to try to narrow it down to a few probable culprits. I'll post an update if I gain any useful insight.

Comment

• BillDem3D
                        • Jul 2017

I spent a good part of my weekend trying to get both Nimbies to work with several other PCs. One of them never worked with any PC I tried, so something is obviously very wrong with that unit. I was actually able to get the other Nimbie to successfully rip between 1 and 3 tracks each on most of the 50 test CDs. Unfortunately, every disc was eventually still rejected due to the massive number of errors on all of the other tracks on each disc. Most of the test CDs had no visible smudges, scratches, or flaws on them. They also worked fine on my internal drives, so perhaps the optics are simply dirty on the Nimbie that sometimes rips a track successfully. Today, I plan to figure out a way to clean the laser lens on the Nimbie that sometimes,worked. It won't be easy because there are warranty-void seals preventing me from simply opening the machine up. At least I'm making a little progress toward figuring this out. Still not ready to give up completely. Wish me luck.

Comment

• BillDem3D
                          • Jul 2017

I tried to figure out a way to clean the laser lens, but just couldn't get to it. I did try one of those "optical drive cleaning discs," but it didn't help. I think it may be time to finally give up.

Comment

• BillDem3D
                            • Jul 2017

I finally got Batch Ripper to rip CDs as "secure," but AccurateRip still doesn't work. When the ripping process starts, it pops up a dialog telling me it can configure Accurate Rip using the CD currently in the drive. I click to tell it to configure. Then, it pops up an error. (image attached below, I hope)

Click image for larger version

Name:	AccurateRipError.png
Views:	1
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	293618

The message reads, "This Key Disc cannot be used for offset detection it does not match the AccurateRip stored disc, or your drive does not exist in AccurateRip and this disc has multiple pressings stored. Please try a different Key Disc."

It pops up this same message for each disc in the stack of about 50 popular discs I'm currently using to test. Most, if not all of these discs are definitely in their database, so something else must be causing AccurateRip to abort configuration. Any suggestions?

FYI - The problem that caused Batch Ripper to reject every disc for the past couple months of trying was caused by the install & uninstall processes being incomplete and flawed. (They were leaving stuff behind that should have been removed and then not rewriting the correct version of the files on the next install.) There was also a conflict between the dbPoweramp install routines from the Nimbie software disc, and your install routines for the current version. Both of these things combined to create a perpetually corrupt dbPoweramp installation containing a mix of old and new files, no matter how many times I uninstalled and re-installed. To fix it, I did an uninstall, then I searched every process on my system to track down and manually remove a variety of files left behind by the uninstall. Once I was pretty sure I had deleted all of orphaned code left behind by dbPoweramp, Nimbie, and Broadex, I did a fresh install of the Nimbie driver only (none of their other software) followed by a clean install of the latest version of your software. That's when Batch Ripper stopped rejecting every CD and started ripping like all of the other programs I had tried. Accurate Rip is the only thing which still doesn't work, which unfortunately was the entire reason I bought dbPoweramp and a Nimbie robot. So, I'm still not finished trying to figure this out, but at least Batch Ripper doesn't reject CDs now.

What can I do to get Accurate Rip to work on this Pioneer Blu-ray drive?

Does this error mean the drive needs to be added to the AccurateRip drive offsets database?
                            Is there any way to do that? Who do I talk to?

-Bill (The Stubborn)

Comment

• mville
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Dec 2008

Have a look at this list: AccurateRip Key Discs. Hopefully you can feed it one of these and it will configure.

Comment

Working...

]]>