title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Removing 'Comment' Tag In A Single Pass

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Removing 'Comment' Tag In A Single Pass

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    default is fine. Normal, above normal, etc. is all about what else you might want to do with the PC at the same time. Doesn't really matter unless you're doing lots of other work on your PC while you're doing the dbpa work. In that case you might not want to use all 4 cores as your PC is also trying to run other programs. If doing a batch job, I wouldn't be doing other intensive things typically, so using 4 cores is good.
    Hi Gary,

Well, I had a couple of Google browser tabs open, but I was not actively surfing.

I also had 'Paint' open, though I did not make any screengrabs whilst the Batch-Processor was in action.

Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi Gary,

Well, I had a couple of Google browser tabs open, but I was not actively surfing.

I also had 'Paint' open, though I did not make any screengrabs whilst the Batch-Processor was in action.

Thanks.
    It doesn't hurt anything to have other programs open and running (it's not going to create bad rips!). But if you're running dbpa using all cores, it could slow down your other programs. But the sort of things you're doing (google, internet, paint) are not CPU intensive anyhow. So all is good. Nothing to concern yourself with.

dBpoweramp Guru

It doesn't hurt anything to have other programs open and running (it's not going to create bad rips!). But if you're running dbpa using all cores, it could slow down your other programs. But the sort of things you're doing (google, internet, paint) are not CPU intensive anyhow. So all is good. Nothing to concern yourself with.
    Thanks Gary,

When the PC is ripping/tagging/or downloading, I am off makin' a cup of tea!

Cheers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Removing 'Comment' Tag In A Single Pass

1. Go to parent directory of all your music files you have ripped with dbpa. (e.g., C:\flac). Right click, then in popup menu select "dbpoweramp Batch Convert"
    2. Upper left, CONVERT to utility codec "ID TAG UPDATE"
    3. click on deletions tab
    4. select "single tag"
    5. where it says "type or select tag element" use dropdown list or type COMMENT.
    6. Bottom right of this box, select "Convert"

This will remove the tag COMMENT from all your files.
    Hi Gary, This sounds a stupid question I know!: but if I have run this process 2/3 times and there is no "comment" tag showing anywhere, then can I assume that it has definitely been removed from all files? I mean, there is no way the removed "comments" tag could be leaving any kind if residue (eg. it is gone visibly, but it is still there, somehow, in the background)? Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Gary, This sounds a stupid question I know!: but if I have run this process 2/3 times and there is no "comment" tag showing anywhere, then can I assume that it has definitely been removed from all files? I mean, there is no way the removed "comments" tag could be leaving any kind if residue (eg. it is gone visibly, but it is still there, somehow, in the background)? Paul
    no residue. Really all gone.

dBpoweramp Guru

You use the built-in Query for more powerful searches of the foobar2000 database: Foobar2000:Query syntax
    e.g. %date% IS 1978 or %artist% HAS "Miles"
    (Thanks Gary.)

... the reason I ask the above question is because, in foobar, I keep getting albums appearing with wrong dates (YEARS). After a good couple of hours this afternoon of trying to fathom out why this was happening, I think I have finally found the root cause. I noticed it happening last month and since then have been trying to remedy it on and off. but to no avail.

So, for example - if I type in the foobar search: 1992, it calls up the album: "Miles On The Corner". But this album was both recorded and released in: 1972:

foobar.png

I then remembered that when I has started first ripping my CD collection (last month) using dBpa, I included a COMMENTS tag. In this field I stated the REMASTERED YEAR (in this case ["Miles On The Corner"]: 1992). And therefore, when searching in foobar with the date '1992', it was calling up "Miles On The Corner" (ie. because it must have been reading the COMMENTS tag). Fair enough:

Comments.png

Then, a couple of weeks ago (with Gary's and Jailhouse's help) I used the 'Batch Converter ID TAG' to REMOVE the 'comments' tag. I also ran it twice again this afternoon - just to be sure. As well as this, I also ran it removing (just in case there were any) all (self-created) 'REMASTERED' tags. When visually checking (in Windows Properties and ID-TAG), nowhere can I see a 'comments' tag appearing:

Properties.png

IDTAG.png

BUT, still in foobar, "Miles On The Corner" is still being called up when running the search '1992'!? This makes me think that the 'Remaster' year in 'COMMENTS' must still be, somehow, embedded (for want of a better term).

As a further experiment, I just re-ripped the exact same CD. I made 100% sure there was nothing in COMMENTS (it's actually been unchecked recently [in 'settings'] so as not to enable saving of this field). I gave the CD the title: "ON On The Corner" (to avoid overwriting the original CD). Lo and behold, the latter mentioned does NOT appear (in foobar) when running a search for '1992'! It only appear under '1972' (which is correct).

Hope someone can help me get around this as I am hoping the only option in not to RE-RIP everything?

Many thanks in advance.

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-09-2017 at 12:59 PM. Reason: screenshot

dBpoweramp Guru

I suspect foobar database is remembering info. Remove the library from foobar (same place you added it initially). Then re-add the library location. That should clear things up.

dBpoweramp Guru

I suspect foobar database is remembering info. Remove the library from foobar (same place you added it initially). Then re-add the library location. That should clear things up.
    Gary, Sounds like a possible lifesaver! Thanks. I tried refreshing but maybe it needs that extra push. Will give it a test ... Very much appreciated matey. Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Gary, I removed the database and then restarted my PC. Then I added it again; but I am afraid all of the dates are still incorrect (ie. as though it is reading the REMASTERED YEAR from the removed 'comments' tag). Should it have worked instantly?, or do I need to allow some extra time (ie. similar to when I very first added the database last month - allowing for everything to trickle though)? Thanks, Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

... just to be sure, I removed the FLAC folder via here:

remove.png

Library/Configure/Media_Library/Remove.

(Not sure if the upload will show immediately.)
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-09-2017 at 02:11 PM. Reason: screenshot

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

I spent an hour or so going through the foobar manual but I still can't fix the YEAR/COMMENT issue. I checked in 'properties' of the music files within foobar (ie. right-click on the file) and the COMMENTS tag was still showing! So I deleted them from a couple of tracks, and the albums, but the changes just won't save - after multiple attempts and restarts.

comment.png

comment2.png

Then I tried to delete (CTRL+A) the COMMENTS tag from everything and (after a couple of minutes of processing) it appeared to have done so. However, when checking again the COMMENTS tags were still there. It's kinda like they are hard-wired (for want of a better word) into the files in terms of how foobar is reading them?!

I think the best thing to do now is to uninstall foobar and start over ...

Many thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-10-2017 at 10:20 AM. Reason: screenshot

dBpoweramp Guru

I spent an hour or so going through the foobar manual but I still can't fix the YEAR/COMMENT issue. I checked in 'properties' of the music files within foobar (ie. right-click on the file) and the COMMENTS tag was still showing! So I deleted them from a couple of tracks, and the albums, but the changes just won't save - after multiple attempts and restarts.
    I Windows File Explorer, navigate to a flac with a comment tag, right-click the file and select Edit ID-Tag from the context menu. In the Edit ID-Tag window, click the X next to the comment tag and click the OK button, to close the Edit ID-Tag window. Again, right-click the file and select Edit ID-Tag from the context menu. Has the comment been removed or is it still showing?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    I Windows File Explorer, navigate to a flac with a comment tag, right-click the file and select Edit ID-Tag from the context menu. In the Edit ID-Tag window, click the X next to the comment tag and click the OK button, to close the Edit ID-Tag window. Again, right-click the file and select Edit ID-Tag from the context menu. Has the comment been removed or is it still showing?
    Hi mville, I only just noticed this reply, thanks. I have uninstalled foobar since my last post now. And am about to d/l it again; so as to start from fresh. The 'comments' tag is not showing in any of the FLAC files when checking via your method. It only appears when 'right-clicking' (as per above screenshots) within foobar. I mean, they only show up (with the 'Mastering Year') within foobar, nowhere else. But as I say, I am going to try starting over again. Cheers, Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-10-2017 at 11:32 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi mville, I only just noticed this reply, thanks. I have uninstalled foobar since my last post now. And am about to d/l it again; so as to start from fresh. The 'comments' tag is not showing in any of the FLAC files when checking via your method. It only appears when 'right-clicking' (as per above screenshots) within foobar. I mean, they only show up (with the 'Mastering Year') within foobar, nowhere else. But as I say, I am going to try starting over again. Cheers, Paul
    Are you pointing foobar2000 to the correct paths in Preferences >> Media Library >> Music Folders?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Are you pointing foobar2000 to the correct paths in Preferences >> Media Library >> Music Folders?
    Hi mville, I am sure everything was set up correctly previously - in the way you describe above thanks. But I will make extra sure it is set as it should be when I configure it later. Thanks.

EDIT: and here is screenshot of 'properties':

properties.png
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-10-2017 at 12:33 PM. Reason: screenshot