title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: John Hiatt (2014) Terms Of My Surrender - Hidden First Track

John Hiatt (2014) Terms Of My Surrender - Hidden First Track

John Hiatt (2014) Terms Of My Surrender -

Indicated an unnamed hidden first track, I have tried several times unsuccessfully to rip it. All I get is garbage. My Oppo 103 & Oppo 105 will not play it. Has anyone been more successful than I have fooling with it? How did you accomplish the rip?

Thank You

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: John Hiatt (2014) Terms Of My Surrender - Hidden First Track

Quote Originally Posted by Timothy Wright View Post
    John Hiatt (2014) Terms Of My Surrender -

Indicated an unnamed hidden first track, I have tried several times unsuccessfully to rip it. All I get is garbage. My Oppo 103 & Oppo 105 will not play it. Has anyone been more successful than I have fooling with it? How did you accomplish the rip?

Thank You
    I haven't tried to rip this track, or even realised that HTOA is still occasionally going on. Some CDs with HTOA are relatively easy to rip, whilst others are a pain, and extremely CD drive dependent.

Blur, Think Tank, has a hidden track, that seemed fairly easy to rip, but I struggled with David Gray, White Ladder.

If you look up the thread, Best DVD drive for reading scratched discs - TEST RESULTS ON-GOING you can see the drive that worked for me. As the warning says, the ability to rip depends on the CD drive, and many have found this to be very true.

Just because the Pioneer drive ripped the David Gray track OK, there is no guarantee that it would rip the John Hiatt (great artist!) CD.

Thank you for your help, I've recently become slightly more philosophical about hidden first tracks. This may be marketing trick I believe anything on a CD sold to play should just "play". Hidden tracks are childish BS. I have 24 John Hiatt CDs and that should make me a loyal customer, I'm entitled to all the tracks on a CD, I payed for the CD.

> no guarantee that it would rip the John Hiatt (great artist!) CD.

If you like John Haitt may I suggest "2000 - Rollin' into Memphis; Songs of John Hiatt (Telarc)" which is a collection of other performers covering John Haitt's creations. In particular I enjoy Odetta's "Listening to Old Voices" on the CD which stands up well to repeated listenings; and anything Telarc does is always well recorded.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thanks for the recommendation, 24 is serious fan! I've just got 3 LPs from the '80's. Rollin' Into Memphis - one was Riding With The King. He's come a long way in 17 years!

HTOA is a real pain, and I cannot see why such an established artist would do this.
    Last edited by Oggy; 07-26-2017 at 05:59 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

I only have 13 of his CDs. Great stuff. Seen him live 5 or 6 times over last 10 or 12 years. And I agree that HTOA is nonsense!

Oggy> Thanks for the recommendation, 24 is serious fan!

I don't know that John Hiatt ever made a bad CD? If I like a recording artist I tend to own their whole catalog. I'm somewhere near 3,000 CDs and I am particular what CDs I buy.

Oggy> He's come a long way in 17 years!

1974 Hangin' Around the Observatory -oldest CD

2014 Terms of My Surrender - newest CD

That's 40 years of performing!

dBpoweramp Guru

Oggy> Thanks for the recommendation, 24 is serious fan!

I don't know that John Hiatt ever made a bad CD? If I like a recording artist I tend to own their whole catalog. I'm somewhere near 3,000 CDs and I am particular what CDs I buy.

Oggy> He's come a long way in 17 years!

1974 Hangin' Around the Observatory -oldest CD

2014 Terms of My Surrender - newest CD

That's 40 years of performing!
    With the ringing endorsement from garym and yourself, I will revisit John's catalogue; I certainly enjoy everything that I've heard.

Sorry about the 17 years, it was a failed joke about the album names, Riding With The King and Rollin' Into Memphis.

Oggy> Sorry about the 17 years,

Nothing to be sorry about. With most musical performers I visit both Allmusic.com and Amazon.com and pick out those with the best reviews and hopefully good prices. John Hiatt can have a cynical sense of humor ("The Wreck Of The Barbie Ferrari" would be a good example), that is a gift that comes only with age and experience. If I like his performances I think his song writing is just amazing. I was looking at a "John Hiatt" search on amazon and I easily found thee CD anthologies of other well know performers covering his material. John Hiatt will be remembered 100 years from now for his song writing.

If you do not know their work also look up: Randy Newman, John Prine, John Fahey, Townes Van Zandt, Warren Zevon and Ry Cooder's older stuff (1970-2000). They are among the most gifted song-smith guitar-players of the last 30-40 years. I don't know if my generation will produce a Jerome Kern, Cole Porter or George Gershwin but those are among the best our times have produced.

Often I'll audition speakers and take my own listening material and I may be assisted my someone nice half my age. That is not a crime, I wish I were half my age. But they may not know Dave Mason, John Mayall, Laura Nyro material very well. I have nieces and nephews who never knew about Carlos Santana, Janis Joplin, Bad Company or Aretha Franklin until I shared a CD with them. My niece listened to Aretha Franklin's R-E S-P-E-C-T for the first time maybe 20 years ago when she was only about 17 years old and maybe not getting a whole lot of respect herself, and that CD changed everything for her. When my nephew listened to Santana and Allman brothers for the first time, oh yea, that will work.

It's not a crime to be born in the 80's or 90's, it is just that much more catching up to do.

I once (35 years ago) told my boss, there are only three kinds of music in the world: good music, bad music, and opera. I wish some had warned me beforehand that he was an opera fan.

dBpoweramp Guru

If you do not know their work also look up: Randy Newman, John Prine, John Fahey, Townes Van Zandt, Warren Zevon and Ry Cooder's older stuff (1970-2000)..
    couldnt agree more. And I'd add Guy Clark to that list.

I should be annoyed, I don't know Guy Clark. So I take my own advice and look him up on allmusic.com:

"Guy Clark didn't just write songs, he crafted them, with the kind of hands-on care and respect that a master carpenter (a favorite image of his) would when faced with a stack of rare hardwood. Clark worked slowly and with strict attention to detail -- he released only 13 studio albums in his 40-year career -- but he produced an impressive collection of timeless gems, leaving very little waste behind. His albums never met much commercial success, but the emotional level of his work consistently transcended sales figures and musical genres. He's the archetype of the modern country songwriter that young artists study and seasoned writers (and listeners) admire."

That is just the first paragraph, actually they really like and respect him.

So question two, tab over and see which are his better CDs?
    Damn, they are all good and well reviewed. Now I'm in trouble . . .

Tab over to big-river-retail, before the mad rush. I ordered 8 Guy Clark CDs on Amazon Prime for a little less than $100. I should get them in two days. All kidding aside I know I'll be happy with them. Thank you for the suggestion. Well maybe I should be annoyed, Some folks have more musical talent in their hangnail than I have in my whole body. My only recompense is that I can buy their CDs and listen to them.

Not that I own Ry Cooder stock but if I may add a thought I like his earliest stuff the best:

1971 Into the Purple Valley
    1972 Boomer's Story
    1974 Paradise and Lunch
    1976 Chicken Skin Music
    1979 Bop Till You Drop - My all time favorite

Ry Cooder is known best not so much for writing songs as reinventing other folks' songs. During and after the 1980 he started writing the soundtracks for many popular movies and that was all good work. Starting about 2000 he became interested in many weird themed project CDs and I became less interested in his work.

Bop Till You Drop is my all time favorite and the worlds first digital-digital-digital (DDD) CD. The song selections and performance are impeccable and inspired. I know I've worn out many LPs and CDs of "Bop Till You Drop".

dBpoweramp Guru

Guy and Townes were close friends. You'll love the CDs. All good to great. I'd go through starting with earliest first.

I had bop till you drop on LP. I have all you mentioned, plus others on cd. I like them all, but Paradise and Lunch is my favorite, but likely because it was my first ry cooder LP way back when.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Guy and Townes were close friends. You'll love the CDs. All good to great. I'd go through starting with earliest first.

I had bop till you drop on LP. I have all you mentioned, plus others on cd. I like them all, but Paradise and Lunch is my favorite, but likely because it was my first ry cooder LP way back when.
    And if you like this sort of stuff check out the DVD or bluray of "Heartworn Highways" was almost impossible to get, but rereleased recently. Guy, Townes, and a very young (17 or 18) Steve Earle.

dBpoweramp Guru

Oggy> Sorry about the 17 years,

Nothing to be sorry about. With most musical performers I visit both Allmusic.com and Amazon.com and pick out those with the best reviews and hopefully good prices. John Hiatt can have a cynical sense of humor ("The Wreck Of The Barbie Ferrari" would be a good example), that is a gift that comes only with age and experience. If I like his performances I think his song writing is just amazing. I was looking at a "John Hiatt" search on amazon and I easily found thee CD anthologies of other well know performers covering his material. John Hiatt will be remembered 100 years from now for his song writing.

If you do not know their work also look up: Randy Newman, John Prine, John Fahey, Townes Van Zandt, Warren Zevon and Ry Cooder's older stuff (1970-2000..
    One of the joys of my time in Hi-Fi retail, was being able to listen to music, a lot of music. I know, but don't own any John Fahey, but certainly do the rest. You certainly like your music on the cynical side!

Through giving dems, I've been introduced to customers' music as diverse as, Metallica, Master Of Puppets, bought in by a very well-dressed legal secretary, to, yes, opera and Wagner's, Lohengrin, via Respighi and most styles of music in between.

A really good musical find, was when I heard some music escaping from the dem room, a colleague was conducting. After knocking and apologising for the interruption, the gentleman was delighted to tell me that the piece was from the Irish, folk musician, Christy Moore, and called Ride On. I bought it, and much like his later album, Ordinary Man, the music is fabulous.

Most the music people bought in, was very welcome, especially after the times you got to hear, Brothers In Arms, a dozen, plus, times a day.

dBpoweramp Guru

Oggy,

if you like Christy Moore, you will love his brother Luka Bloom. I own all of his records and I've seen him live several times.

Dat Ei

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Dat Ei View Post
    Oggy,

if you like Christy Moore, you will love his brother Luka Bloom. I own all of his records and I've seen him live several times.

Dat Ei
    Dat Ei,

Thanks, I'll give him a listen, sounds interesting.

After finding out about Christy, I then bought a Moving Hearts and Planxty LP, but with cats and lively son, vinyl use is sadly, unwise. The Christy albums are the only ones I've got vinyl and CD.

Oggy