title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Convert Music with Commnets

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • David W
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Oct 2011

Convert Music with Commnets

I just converted a few Miles Davis CDs. My recent practice is to add the musician credits to the comments field (seeing none other as a better fit). When I converted the AIFF files (which had the commnets) to FLAC, none of the comments carried over. Why is that?

Click image for larger version

Name:	2017-08-24 06_09_39-Music Converter - Post New Thread.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	297207
  • ForSerious
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
    • Aug 2017

Re: Convert Music with Commnets

Oh hold on. I misread that.

Is the comments field a valid option for AIFF format?
    I have noticed that comments is no longer one of the standard fields when editing ID tags. Wonder if that has anything to do with it.
    Last edited by ForSerious; 08-26-2017, 06:02 PM. Reason: Misread.

Comment

• Jailhouse
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Sep 2016

I believe you have to specify which tags do, or do not, carry over. There are some that carry over by default; I'm sure Comments is not one of those.

Comment

• David W
        dBpoweramp Enthusiast
        • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Jailhouse
        I believe you have to specify which tags do, or do not, carry over. There are some that carry over by default; I'm sure Comments is not one of those.

I thought all tags would carry over. How do you specify certain tags like comments?

Comment

• Jailhouse
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2016

Originally posted by David W
          I thought all tags would carry over. How do you specify certain tags like comments?
          I'm sorry, I was thinking in terms of CD Ripper and thought that Music Converter would work similarly.

There is an ID Tag Processing DSP you can add that should work as far as I can see, but I haven't used it. If I have time, I'll test it; in the meantime, I hope someone else will jump in to give you an actual answer, which I am now interested in as well.

Comment

• Jailhouse
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Sep 2016

I should have read your original post more closely. I have been converting AIFF to FLAC for some time now.

I checked my files and did a test conversion, and confirmed that comments are carrying over. However, while I can see the FLAC comments using Edit Id-Tag, for some reason File Explorer won't display them, as shown in the example you posted.

Hopefully Spoon or Peter will see this and be able to fix the issue.

Comment

• Spoon
              Administrator
              • Apr 2002

> for some reason File Explorer won't display them, as shown in the example you posted.

It is just Windows not following the FLAC specification on ogg vorbis tagging, see:

Windows 10 comes with the ability to read ID Tags for a bunch of standard codecs such as: mp3, wave, flac, m4a, opus, ogg The issue can be, that Microsoft do not support the full range of ID Tags that dBpoweramp does, such as Wave ID3 chunk, or the full subset of id3v2.4 tags. Even worse for opus and ogg Microsoft do not read

as to how to put dBpoweramps tag reader instead of the broken Windows one in place.
              Spoon
              www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• erickchr67
                • Aug 2017

CD Rpper:
                Only converts to the fourth song and hangs up.
                Example: only converts to the fourth song and stays hung, with all CDs.
                what is the problem?

Comment

• PeterP
                  Super Moderator
                  • Jul 2011

Originally posted by erickchr67
                  CD Rpper:
                  Only converts to the fourth song and hangs up.
                  Example: only converts to the fourth song and stays hung, with all CDs.
                  what is the problem?
                  Thanks for your feedback.

We'd like to know a few more details about your configuration:
                  • Version of dBpoweramp application - R15.8, R16.1 or other?
                  • Operating system (Windows, mac OS) version
                  • Optical drive model

Comment

• David W
                    dBpoweramp Enthusiast
                    • Oct 2011

Originally posted by Spoon
                    > for some reason File Explorer won't display them, as shown in the example you posted.

It is just Windows not following the FLAC specification on ogg vorbis tagging, see:

Windows 10 comes with the ability to read ID Tags for a bunch of standard codecs such as: mp3, wave, flac, m4a, opus, ogg The issue can be, that Microsoft do not support the full range of ID Tags that dBpoweramp does, such as Wave ID3 chunk, or the full subset of id3v2.4 tags. Even worse for opus and ogg Microsoft do not read

as to how to put dBpoweramps tag reader instead of the broken Windows one in place.
                    So that I fully understand, Windows 10 won't display the comments embedded in FLAC files, but those comments are in fact embedded in the FLAC files. Yet, Windows 10 will display the comments embedded in AAIF files. So if I have a need to convert the FLAC files back to AIFF, the non-displayed comments in the FLAC files will be displayed in the converted AIFF files?

Comment

• Spoon
                      Administrator
                      • Apr 2002

Correct, you can test with 1 file.
                      Spoon
                      www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>