title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a RELIABLE external CD drive

Question Suggestions for a RELIABLE external CD drive

A few years ago, I ponied up a decent chunk of change for a Samsung external CD re-writable drive w/ Lightscribe capabilities. I've never gotten around to using the Lightscribe feature, as it was put to death shortly after I purchased the drive. Thanks HP for killing something else in which I invested! Of course, this was right after I bought a crap ton of Lightscribe discs. I should have learned my lesson about HP when it killed Palm and WebOS. SCREW YOU, HP!

Anyway...sorry for the tangent.

Now that I'm actually using this external drive to rip discs w/ dBpoweramp's CD Ripper, the USB device regularly ejects and becomes unrecognizable from my laptop. Often, I can not get it to be recognized when I atempt to reconect it. A message of "USB not recognized" and somethng about the device malfunctioning and Windows not recognizing it (Windows 10) pops up when I plug in either of the USB connections. Sometimes it happens the first 6-10 times that I plug in the drive. Sometimes it happens between discs being ripped.

1) Any suggestions?
    I firmly believe that this IS NOT an issue with dBpoweramp, but instead either with my OS, or the Samsung external drive.

2) Any recommendations for a SOLID, reliable, accurate external drive to finish reliably riopping my CD collection?
    I want to get a Blu-Ray burner at some point, but I'm wiling to buy two separate devices if someone has a strong recommendation for a CD ripper. I'm really tiring of fighting with this damn Samsung drive.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Suggestions for a RELIABLE external CD drive

Hi Fyrfytr,

I have had endless issues with SEAGATE drives.

I bought a Western Digital MAINS POWERED 1TB external drive last year. It cost about 90GBP from PC World.

For the task of storing my FLACS, I bought a Dell USB POWERED 1TB external drive this year. It cost about 60GBP from PC World.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

For ripping drives, more money is not necessarily better. Best to have several drives that can work. Some problem CDs rip better with some drives than others. I have several cheap drives and some old ones I got from free from discarded PCs. A couple of years ago I bought this USB container (for inserting almost any full size drive) and this drive. I'm sure any number of drives in this container can work well. This all works very well for the last few years connected via USB to my laptop.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    For ripping drives, more money is not necessarily better. Best to have several drives that can work. Some problem CDs rip better with some drives than others. I have several cheap drives and some old ones I got from free from discarded PCs. A couple of years ago I bought this USB container (for inserting almost any full size drive) and this drive. I'm sure any number of drives in this container can work well. This all works very well for the last few years connected via USB to my laptop.

Totally agree with garym, that using an internal full size drive externally, via a USB adaptor, gets you Adar more robust, quicker, drive. The Lite-On, models, are good drives.

There is a Pioneer USB Blu-ray drive available, but it is a lot of money, to hammer, ripping CDs.

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi Fyrfytr,

I have had endless issues with SEAGATE drives.

I bought a Western Digital MAINS POWERED 1TB external drive last year. It cost about 90GBP from PC World.

For the task of storing my FLACS, I bought a Dell USB POWERED 1TB external drive this year. It cost about 60GBP from PC World.

Paul
    Thank you. Fortunately, I have a Synology NAS and multiple external drives for my data storage purposes. What I need is a reliable external CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive for ripping and burning discs.

Oggy, garym, thank you for your input and suggestions.

I will begin exploring the route that you posted, garym.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by FyrFytr View Post
    Now that I'm actually using this external drive to rip discs w/ dBpoweramp's CD Ripper, the USB device regularly ejects and becomes unrecognizable from my laptop. Often, I can not get it to be recognized when I atempt to reconect it. A message of "USB not recognized" and somethng about the device malfunctioning and Windows not recognizing it (Windows 10) pops up when I plug in either of the USB connections. Sometimes it happens the first 6-10 times that I plug in the drive. Sometimes it happens between discs being ripped.

1) Any suggestions?
    I firmly believe that this IS NOT an issue with dBpoweramp, but instead either with my OS, or the Samsung external drive.
    Check whether you have the latest firmware on the drive.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

And you want to hook it up to USB only, or is firewire a possibility?

dBpoweramp Guru

Windows 10 can be rather temperamental, with USB drives, before giving up with the Samsung, this is some advice that was posted, by Microsoft, regarding the use of, an external USB drive, with Win 10.

Right-click the Start button > Command Prompt (Admin)
    Then, at the command prompt type the following ( you can copy and paste) and press "Enter":
    reg.exe add "HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\atapi\Cont roller0" /f /v EnumDevice1 /t REG_DWORD /d 0x00000001
    Restart the computer.

I've got no experience with Windows 10, but all my drives, including a Samsung slimline, external USB drive, connect first time with Windows 7.
    Last edited by Oggy; 08-24-2017 at 12:17 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Thank you. Fortunately, I have a Synology NAS and multiple external drives for my data storage purposes. What I need is a reliable external CD/DVD/Blu-ray drive for ripping and burning discs.
    Hi, I am afraid I do not know about BLUE RAY. But the other guys on here are great and will be able to help! Cheers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Adar
    Adar??

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Adar??
    a far!

Rushing, before going to bed; and no secretary to proof read!

dBpoweramp Guru

Regarding DVD vs Blu-ray drives, my DVD drive rips a fair bit faster than my Blu-ray. But both work well for ripping.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    a far!

Rushing, before going to bed; and no secretary to proof read!
    lol

I bought the Dell DW316 for ripping DVD's, haven't had any problems with it. Pretty sure it's one of the best external dvd drives available.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-DW316-Ex...dp/B00VWVZ0V0/