title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Suggestions for a RELIABLE external CD drive

Re: Suggestions for a RELIABLE external CD drive

I may say the same thing about Asus SDRW, very thin operation speed is pretty high - compatible with usb 2.0 and 3.0. And it is also often mentioned in reviews and tops.
    Official Asus - https://www.asus.com/Optical-Drives-Storage/SDRW08D2SU/

Hello everybody.

I just joined the forum, and I will need you experienced advise on choosing the right USB adapter/enclosure for a new Pioneer BDR-S08XLT SATA Blu-ray.

I have recently putchased it, beacuse it was the second most accurate drive according the outdated 2016 CD/DVD Drive Accuracy List.

I will be using it mostly for ripping my entire CD collection with dbpoweramp.

I was wondering which enclosure/addapter, USB 2.0 or USB 3.0 will give me the best lossless ripping.

Thank you in advance.

Administrator

It is trial and error, if you want things like things such as c2 pointers to work with the enclosure, as not all do.

dBpoweramp Guru

First, USB 2.0 should be fine, as the data rate from the drive is low, but I see that most of the newer SATA to USB adapters seem to be USB3 these days. I've found most USB3 "A" connectors to be unreliable, bumping or wiggling them while in use often breaks the connection. 2, because of the greater surface area of the connecting surfaces, seems to be more reliable.

Beyond that I've used Sabrent adapters with good luck, but the particular ones I used have been discontinued. Buy the adapter from a place that has "30 day" returns with no restocking fee and try it. Given that, the adapters are relatively inexpensive, so you aren't out much if it doesn't work.

Thank you all for the prompt responses.

After lots ot reading and comparing, I just purchased the following adapter, since it is powered and the similar enclosures are at least 3 times the price.

It comes from a good company, has the highest number of positive feedbacks and it is listed to support optical SATA drives.

Anker USB 3.0 to SATA 3ft Converter Adapter Cable for 2.5 inch/3.5 inch Hard Drive Disk HDD and SSD, Power Adapter included https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006J2L0..._qk5SAbJHXX862

I will provide later some testing results.

After lots ot reading and comparing, I have purchased the following adapter:
    Anker USB 3.0 to SATA 3ft Converter Adapter Cable for 2.5 inch/3.5 inch Hard Drive Disk HDD and SSD, Power Adapter included https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B006J2L0..._qk5SAbJHXX862

It seems to tick all boxes: comes from reliable manifacture, externally powered, highest number of positive feedbacks and reasonable price.

It is a diffiult choice involving lots ot trials and errors, since there is not much information on the web comparing those adapters for simple things like chipsets and performance.

Would you suggest any applications to test the adapter, so I could provide later some test results?

Kind regards

It seems to tick all boxes: comes from reliable manifacture, externally powered, highest number of positive feedbacks and reasonable price.

It is a diffiult choice involving lots ot trials and errors, since there is not much information on the web comparing those adapters for simple things like chipsets and performance.

Would you suggest any applications to test the adapter, so I could provide later some test results?

Kind regards

Anker USB 3.0 to SATA 3ft Converter Adapter Cable for 2.5 inch/3.5 inch Hard Drive Disk HDD and SSD, Power Adapter included

Kind regards

Last edited by homeuser067; 03-22-2018 at 05:50 PM.