title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: CD Ripper Question

CD Ripper Question

I got Chord Hugo 2 DAC and it is...well, wow. Anyway with iTunes I now have Audirvana Plus and its is great.

I have been buying DSD which I find even better than other hi res.

So, I burned CDs into ALAC in iTunes. 16 bit 48 kHz

When I download hi res, they are 24 bit 92 (or more) kHz. I love them with the Hugo 2. They sound even more opened up than the CD quality ALAC files.

If I purchase the CD Ripper, what will they be at when read by bit perfect software, Audirvana Plus or Ne Player?

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

I'm old.

I am not sure what it means to rip them perfectly. I don't mind if it takes forever, if it means better quality.

Thank you

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: CD Ripper Question

Standard audio CDs (Red Book standard) contain 16-bit, 44.1kHz PCM digital audio and are not considered hi-Res audio.

Hi-res audio is usually 24-bit and is available at different sample rates from 44.1kHz up to 192kHz.

CDRipper can only rip standard audio CDs, but can rip them bit-perfect (to many different formats), which means the ripped digital audio is identical to the digital audio on the CD.
    Last edited by mville; 08-21-2017 at 12:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Standard audio CDs (Red Book standard) contain 16-bit, 44.1kHz PCM digital audio and are not considered hi-Res audio.

Hi-res audio is usually 24-bit and is available at different sample rates from 44.1kHz up to 192kHz.

CDRipper can only rip standard audio CDs, but can rip them bit-perfect (to many different formats), which means the ripped digital audio is identical to the digital audio on the CD.

Thanks for the reply.

I have just standard CDs and usually just rip them into iTunes as "apple lossless."

Other than purchasing 24 bit downloads, is there an advantage for me to rip them on my MacBook Pro with CD Ripper?

I apologize for not understanding...

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

To rip what? CD's at 24bit quality? It will only degrade the audio quality. Rip CD's at 44.1KHz 16bit.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpa View Post
    I have just standard CDs and usually just rip them into iTunes as "apple lossless."

Other than purchasing 24 bit downloads, is there an advantage for me to rip them on my MacBook Pro with CD Ripper?
    Ripping in CDRipper is better than ripping in iTunes for 2 main reasons. CDRipper will alert you to any errors in the rip, iTunes will not. Also, CDRipper uses the AccurateRip database to determine whether you have a bit perfect rip.

Regarding 24-bit downloads, these are hi-resolution downloads and are considered higher quality than standard CDs. However, it will depend on your listening environment, whether you will hear any difference between a 24-bit hi-res audio file and a 16-bit audio file, ripped from your CD.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Most of times the 24bit files have been mastered differently, so a direct A/B comparison is rather pointless.