title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RE: Defining 'Compilation' (help?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monsterjazzlick
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jul 2017

Re: Defining 'Compilation' (help?)

Originally posted by garym
    None of your options. I'd label it the name on the actual CD (you left off the ?). I'd use:

What I Say? Volume 1

(and I'd have multi artists, as:

ARTIST: Miles Davis;Keith Jarrett
    ALBUM ARTIST: Miles Davis
    OK, cheers,

I assumed parentheses might be applied.

Yes, there is a '?'. I was just was not sure if you could include punctuation such characters within dBpa (I am sure I saw an exclusions check-box at some point a while back?).

How you have suggesting notating it is actually the way dBpa notates it by default!

I will follow your advice for ARTIST because on the CD cover is states: 'Featuring Keith Jarrett' - and I am not going to start diggin' myself another hole (like I did over 'Remaster/Reissue' dates) with a 'featuring' tag!

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Jul 2017

.. just need to fathom out who the damn Producer is now! The only name I can find other than the bands is Enrico Merlin. But I don't know know in which what he contributed? Why do they keep omitting such important info. from the CD liner notes!

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Jul 2017

What I Say? Volume 1
        Interestingly, the name of the album has a question mark, but the title track itself does not!

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Jul 2017

None of your options. I'd label it the name on the actual CD (you left off the ?). I'd use:

What I Say? Volume 1

Hi,

All lookin' good in Foobar!:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Say_Tags.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	293589

Paul

Comment

• Oggy
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2015

What I Say? Volume 1

Hi Paul,

Definitely agree about using the same name as the cover!

Just a thought on Artist, and multi-value tags. If I recall correctly, didn't your Sony only display, one Composer, when using the semi-colon, as the multi-tag separator?

That being the case, you may want to see if the Sony acts in the same manner, with Artist.

Any news on your Sony?

Oggy

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Oggy
              Definitely agree about using the same name as the cover!

Just a thought on Artist, and multi-value tags. If I recall correctly, didn't your Sony only display, one Composer, when using the semi-colon, as the multi-tag separator?

That being the case, you may want to see if the Sony acts in the same manner, with Artist.

Any news on your Sony?
              Thanks Oggy,

The Sony Walkman will display joint Artists and Composers providing a: '/' is used instead of a ';'. I think it was yourself you even suggested this substitute!

Funnily enough Sony emailed this afternoon confirming that they need another week with the device because the diagnostic process is taking longer than expected ...

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Jul 2017

Hi,

The question mark appears upside down in the folder icon (when browsing via Windows):

Name:	Q.M.png
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	293591

But is displayed correctly within Foobar:

Name:	Q.M2.jpg
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	293592

Cheers,

Paul

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
                  Hi,

The question mark appears upside down in the folder icon (when browsing via Windows):

But is displayed correctly within Foobar:

Cheers,

Paul
                  Thats because windows always does that in filenames. Foobar is reading tag, not filename. All is correct.

Comment

• Jailhouse
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Sep 2016

A question mark is an illegal character in a Windows file name. It's my understanding that CD-Ripper substitutes the upside-down question mark when creating files, similar to its substituting a semicolon for a colon.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Jailhouse
                      A question mark is an illegal character in a Windows file name. It's my understanding that CD-Ripper substitutes the upside-down question mark when creating files, similar to its substituting a semicolon for a colon.
                      JH,

Oh, OK cheers. How interesting.

Bloody 'Windoze'!

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Jul 2017

Thats because windows always does that in filenames. Foobar is reading tag, not filename. All is correct.
                        Great thanks, I see now. I tried to change the upside-down-? earlier on the Windows folder icon, but - obviously - to no avail. Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Jul 2017

What I Say? Volume 1
                          Gary,

I actually just tried experimenting (with a similar CD having two volumes) with parentheses/hyphens etc, and I think your method is definitely the best. Anything else, when showing in the likes of Foobar, just looks cluttered and quite dreadful!

Cheers,

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Jul 2017

Hi Oggy,

Apple, and The Beatles, sell everything as individual albums, or box sets. They did manage, Anthology 1, Anthology 2, and Anthology 3, all full price, double CDs. The 3 covers look rather good together, on my app, as they join together, making a 3 CD sized poster.

This wouldn't work if I had used Disc 1, Disc 2, in the album name, giving, Anthology 1, Disc 1, Anthology 1, Disc 2 etc. giving, 6 covers, and losing the poster effect.

Again, you only really become aware, of how covers, can be displayed on your app. until you see it for yourself. Also, why the Artist / Album, folder structure, works so well.

I did try using Disc 1, Disc 2, on one double CD, but quickly concluded, that there was a better option.
                            I have my first ANTHOLOGY entitled CD to contend with here. It's called - as you might expect! - the "Miles Davis Anthology". It consists of three discs (each from a different period): Rome, 1964; Paris, 1967; and Perugia, 1989.

I have been scouring the interweb for info. relating to exact dates and Producers etc. But aside from that, I am really not sure how I should file a CD of this type, please?

I mean, would you simply call it - as it says on the tin - the "Miles Davis Anthology"?

That's fine by me, however, I have about four or five CDs of Charlie Parker which are all called 'Anthology"! And so, I will need to formulate a definite system, of sorts.

Many thanks guys,

Paul

Comment

• Oggy
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
                              Hi Oggy,

I have my first ANTHOLOGY entitled CD to contend with here. It's called - as you might expect! - the "Miles Davis Anthology". It consists of three discs (each from a different period): Rome, 1964; Paris, 1967; and Perugia, 1989.

I have been scouring the interweb for info. relating to exact dates and Producers etc. But aside from that, I am really not sure how I should file a CD of this type, please?

I mean, would you simply call it - as it says on the tin - the "Miles Davis Anthology"?

That's fine by me, however, I have about four or five CDs of Charlie Parker which are all called 'Anthology"! And so, I will need to formulate a definite system, of sorts.

Many thanks guys,

Paul
                              Choices, choices, choices! That's a pretty logical choice, and what I would use, 1/3, 2/3, 3/3 and the year for each disc.

Simple, logical choices, makes life easy, and give shorter album names, that are more legible, on a small display. What's important is, does it work for you?

I've racked my brain, and the best I can come up with is, Charlie Parker Anthology.

Of course you have the choice of using a comma, a colon, a hyphen, whatever!!
                              Last edited by Oggy; 09-03-2017, 09:21 PM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Oggy
                                Choices, choices, choices! That's a pretty logical choice, and what I would use, 1/3, 2/3, 3/3 and the year for each disc.

Simple, logical choices, makes life easy, and give shorter album names, that are more legible, on a small display. What's important is, does it work for you?

I've racked my brain, and the best I can come up with is, Charlie Parker Anthology.

Of course you have the choice of using a comma, a colon, a hyphen, whatever!!
                                Thanks Oggy,

Do you mean you would state the 'year' of each disc in the 'title'. Or - as you would do normally - state the 'year' (of each disc) in the 'year' tag (ie. meta-data)?

I have been in a complete tiswas all day over this!

Cheers,

Paul
                                Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-03-2017, 09:25 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Working...

]]>