title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RE: Defining 'Compilation' (help?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oggy
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Apr 2015

Re: Defining 'Compilation' (help?)

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
    Thanks Oggy,

I clearly see your method, although I only ever rip ONE copy of a CD. If I own two copies of the same title, then I would just rip the one with the Bonus Track.

Perhaps I am giving myself too much donkey-work here. I mean, I would say a good 15 x mins is spent (per CD) sourcing the REMASTER date (of the CD version I own). If they stated it clearly in the liner notes then this would not be an issue. But I am damn running around like a headless chicken when I could be ripping! Unless, I just simply state the earliest REMASTER RELEASE DATE I can find.

Paul
    Hey Paul,

Does knowing the Remaster date, improve your listening experience?

If you have two copies of a CD, that sound, different, do you rip, both?

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Oggy
      In some ways, it is tragic, how much we have come to depend on the Internet, but without it, ripping a CD collection, would be, considerably more, labour intensive.

Even so, I try and keep things simple, but, hopefully accurate and ..... Google is your friend!
      Oggy, Back in the day, one might have have scour their way through a plethora of microfilms down at the local library! Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Jul 2017

Does knowing the Remaster date, improve your listening experience?

If you have two copies of a CD, that sound, different, do you rip, both?
        Oggy, I used to study LP liner notes inside out, so I guess I am inclined that way.

I never A/B COMPARED two different releases of the same CD? I always assume they would sound the same?! Paul

Comment

• Oggy
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2015

I never A/B COMPARED two different releases of the same CD? I always assume they would sound the same?! Paul
          Different masterings, can sound very different.
          Last edited by Oggy; 08-29-2017, 10:48 PM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Jul 2017

Oggy, Well I plan to start a thread on listening; and one's abilities/objectives encompassing this topic. Cheers, Paul

Comment

• Jailhouse
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Sep 2016

I use:

the original LP release date for YEAR (eg. 1968).

I use my own tag named RECORDED for the original recording session date.

And I use my own tag named REMASTERED for the YEAR in which my particular CD was released (eg. 1999);rather than stating the very first/original CD release date (eg. 1986). However, as I have mentioned, it is not always so easy to find answers to the latter-mentioned!
              Looks like a good, workable method.

Comment

• Jailhouse
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Sep 2016

Especially when it comes to newer digital remasters of analog sources. Some CDs I bought in the mid-80's sound like crap compared to their later versions. Fifties and Sixties music can sound like it was recorded last month if the right engineers are doing the remastering.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Jailhouse
                  Especially when it comes to newer digital remasters of analog sources. Some CDs I bought in the mid-80's sound like crap compared to their later versions. Fifties and Sixties music can sound like it was recorded last month if the right engineers are doing the remastering.
                  Hi JH, I will try and get around to actually listening to some music at some point! All I am doing at the moment is damn tagging every day! Cheers, Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Jailhouse
                    Looks like a good, workable method.
                    Thanks. Well its a good method albeit time consuming. I am looking at slightly modifying what I tag for 'mastering'; which is why I have just started a fresh thread. I need to make a couple of important decisions. Cheers, Paul

Comment

• Oggy
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2015

Hi Paul,

In music you would know well, Kind Of Blue, has CDs pressed, with the incorrect speed, and hence pitch, of tracks 1-3, Side 1, in LP terms.

Some Remasters sound far superior to the original CDs, which were often done in a hurry, from tapes equalised for vinyl mastering, or tapes several generations removed from the original.

On the other hand, "Remastered from the original master tape", can cover a multitude of sins - what, master tape? Smiley-face equalisation, with reduced dynamic range, often so loud, you can get distortion, on the few peaks, the compression hasn't removed! Add in, tape deterioration, drop outs, etc. Remasters can often sound far worse, than the original - they certainly don't all sound the same.

Oggy

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Jul 2017

In music you would know well, Kind Of Blue, has CDs pressed, with the incorrect speed, and hence pitch, of tracks 1-3, Side 1, in LP terms.
                        Hi Oggy,

Apparently, with Kind Of Blue, I believe the engineer ran two recordings simultaneously (ie. the second recording running in parallel in case the former malfunctioned). The former tape deck was running slightly faster than the latter. The former tape deck recording was the released version. But, it was discovered that the latter had a superior sound quality in terms of bass (because of the slower speed).

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Jul 2017

Hi,

Not quite a 'compilation' category question, but rather than start a fresh thread I have chosen to tag it onto here:

I have two CDs by Miles Davis: "What I Say" - Vol. 1 and "What I Say" - Vol. 2:

They are both single CDs and are retailed individually. In short, the material consists of excerpts from three concerts all perform by the same ensemble. But again, each CD is a CD in it's own right - if you get my drift.

Now, how do you deal with this, please? Do you rip them as separate entities and title them (in 'title') as:

'What I Say' [Vol. 1] and 'What I Say' [Vol. 2];

OR placed in the same master folder:

'What I Say' [Vol. 1 & 2];

OR treated like a boxset (even though it is not):

'What I Say' [disc 1/2] & 'What I Say' [disc 2/2]?

I actually do not have too many 'volume' editions, but nevertheless, it is something which I would like to try and file correctly.

Many thanks,

Paul
                          Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-31-2017, 10:09 PM. Reason: LINK

Comment

• garym
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Nov 2007

Hi,

Not quite a 'compilation' category question, but rather than start a fresh thread I have chosen to tag it onto here:

I have two CDs by Miles Davis: "What I Say" - Vol. 1 and "What I Say" - Vol. 2:

They are both single CDs and are retailed individually. In short, the material consists of excerpts from three concerts all perform by the same ensemble. But again, each CD is a CD in it's own right - if you get my drift.

Now, how do you deal with this, please? Do you rip them as separate entities and title them (in 'title') as:

'What I Say' [Vol. 1] and 'What I Say' [Vol. 2];

OR placed in the same master folder:

'What I Say' [Vol. 1 & 2];

OR treated like a boxset (even though it is not):

'What I Say' [disc 1/2] & 'What I Say' [disc 2/2]?

I actually do not have too many 'volume' editions, but nevertheless, it is something which I would like to try and file correctly.

Many thanks,

Paul
                            For me, I'd label as two separate CDs because they were issued as two separate CDs. This could be similar to Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits, Vol 1, Vol 2, and Vol 3. These were 3 independent releases on vinyl and on CD. Now, if they re-release all 3 of those CDs as a new combined box set, with additional tracks, I might buy that and then rip it as whatever the name of the new box set is....

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
                              For me, I'd label as two separate CDs because they were issued as two separate CDs. This could be similar to Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits, Vol 1, Vol 2, and Vol 3. These were 3 independent releases on vinyl and on CD. Now, if they re-release all 3 of those CDs as a new combined box set, with additional tracks, I might buy that and then rip it as whatever the name of the new box set is....
                              Cheers Gary,

So would you entitle them the same as are how they are titled by the record label, please? eg:
                              'What I Say [Vol. 1]' and 'What I Say [Vol. 2]'

'What I Say (Vol. 1)' and 'What I Say (Vol. 2)'

'What I Say - Volume 1' and 'What I Say - Volume 2'

Paul

Comment

• garym
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Nov 2007

Cheers Gary,

So would you entitle them the same as are how they are titled by the record label, please? eg:
                                'What I Say [Vol. 1]' and 'What I Say [Vol. 2]'

'What I Say (Vol. 1)' and 'What I Say (Vol. 2)'

'What I Say - Volume 1' and 'What I Say - Volume 2'

Paul
                                None of your options. I'd label it the name on the actual CD (you left off the ?). I'd use:

What I Say? Volume 1

(and I'd have multi artists, as:

ARTIST: Miles Davis;Keith Jarrett
                                ALBUM ARTIST: Miles Davis

Comment

Working...

]]>