title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: RE: Defining 'Compilation' (help?)

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Defining 'Compilation' (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by schmidj View Post
    BTW, does anyone know if, in FLAC, the semicolon separator for multiple entries works on the album title?
    Now, in DBpoweramp Music Converter, Album and Album Sort are treated as single-value tags and not multi-value tags.

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Defining 'Compilation' (help?)

But I never remove duplicate tracks in Best Of or compilation CDs.
    Hi schmidj, OK, cheers. Thats handy to know. Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I rip all CDs as complete, even if duplicated on other CDs.
    As I do, BUT, space is not a concern.

I may also use original artwork, with a reissue, if it looks better. I have a Genesis box set, with horrible, cropped art sleeves, but, great sounding CDs. One aspect of a digital library, where you can have your cake, and eat it, is you can have the best cover, with the best sounding CD.

As Jailhouse mentioned, you can add bonus tracks, from a reissue, onto the original CD, in a playlist, or program it to play, repeat, or skip whichever tracks you choose. Sit back, relax, and enjoy your music, and your favourite tipple.

As much as I love vinyl, occasionally, a pause button, would come in handy, but generally, vinyl, or a digital file, I tend to play complete albums. The convenience of using your tablet as a programmable remote, can be rather useful!
    Last edited by Oggy; 08-29-2017 at 01:30 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

If the CD is an exact duplicate issued with a different album name [...]
    I have a two-disc "'60s Hits" compilation title that AccruateRip shows as earlier individual Sony releases. I had to do a bit of tag editing to make everything look like what I see.

There's also a Glenn Miller box set comprised of earlier individual releases from which AR helpfully (or not) retrieved the art. Another instance where I'm glad I'm scanning my CD art.

I wonder if the companies do this to move discs that don't sell.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    As much as I love vinyl, occasionally, a pause button, would come in handy, but generally, vinyl, or a digital file, I tend to play complete albums.
    I'm about the complete opposite. In foobar, one of my playlists contains everything, save tracks I don't like. Most often, I listen to that playlist in Random mode, essentially treating my PC as a radio station with no ads, no deejays, and a very large and eclectic playlist.

You gotta love options.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    I have a two-disc "'60s Hits" compilation title that AccruateRip shows as earlier individual Sony releases. I had to do a bit of tag editing to make everything look like what I see.

There's also a Glenn Miller box set comprised of earlier individual releases from which AR helpfully (or not) retrieved the art. Another instance where I'm glad I'm scanning my CD art.

I wonder if the companies do this to move discs that don't sell.
    Yes, I've seen a few "doubles", where a second disc has been added to an earlier single CD, immediately creating a "new compilation". Never miss an opportunity for more sales, I suppose: a film, a new release, a death, a new collection is immediately available!

dBpoweramp Guru

I may also use original artwork, with a reissue, if it looks better. I have a Genesis box set, with horrible, cropped art sleeves, but, great sounding CDs. One aspect of a digital library, where you can have your cake, and eat it, is you can have the best cover, with the best sounding CD.

As Jailhouse mentioned, you can add bonus tracks, from a reissue, onto the original CD, in a playlist, or program it to play, repeat, or skip whichever tracks you choose. Sit back, relax, and enjoy your music, and your favourite tipple.

As much as I love vinyl, occasionally, a pause button, would come in handy, but generally, vinyl, or a digital file, I tend to play complete albums. The convenience of using your tablet as a programmable remote, can be rather useful!
    Hi Oggy, Yes, it's good to be able to mix&match your favourite CDs with selected artwork. So you get the best of both worlds.

I have two versions of a Miles Davis CD ("Miles In The Sky"). The first copy I bought 20 years ago was a replicate of the original LP. Then, 10 years later, Columbia (or rather Sony) released the same CD but with a bonus track. The bonus track was actually an ALTERNATIVE TAKE of the third track ('Black Comedy'). And so, last week, I ripped only the CD version which had the ALT. TAKE track on it - and did not bother ripping the original version. Bonus/Alternative tracks are typically placed at the end of the CD, and so they do not disrupt the listening flow of the original release.

I also listen to albums either in their entirety, or just a few tracks on loop. Thanks, Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-29-2017 at 02:10 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

I'm about the complete opposite. In foobar, one of my playlists contains everything, save tracks I don't like. Most often, I listen to that playlist in Random mode, essentially treating my PC as a radio station with no ads, no deejays, and a very large and eclectic playlist.

You gotta love options.
    Indeed! I'll create a playlist for non-critical, background music, to introduce my son to more music, and usual complete album, for myself.

Thanks for the new option, suggestion!
    Last edited by Oggy; 08-29-2017 at 02:18 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi JH, I am quite stuck on finding a definitive method for locating which REMASTER version of a CD I have, please. It seems, as far as I can see, that the REMASTER DATE is never listed in the CDs liner notes? They do, however, all include the remastering ENGINEER. But why never the YEAR?

An album like Miles Davis's "Sketches Of Spain" has multiple CD releases from 1983!:

https://www.discogs.com/Miles-Davis-...n/master/48172

There seems to be a trend - by labels - to place a catalogue number on the top-right rear-side corner which sometimes points you towards a rough indication (say on Discogs). For example, on the back of Miles Davis's "Big Fun' CD: COL 489776 2 (I guess the 'COL' = Columbia?). But again, I am never certain of the actual remaster YEAR? Thanks, Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-29-2017 at 02:21 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Most often, I listen to that playlist in Random mode, essentially treating my PC as a radio station with no ads, no deejays, and a very large and eclectic playlist.
    Over zealous DJs; repetitive car insurance adverts; cheesy jingles; all causing the music in the background to duck.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi JH, I am quite stuck on finding a definitive method for locating which REMASTER version of a CD I have, please. It seems, as far as I can see, that the REMASTER DATE is never listed in the CDs liner notes? They do, however, all include the remastering ENGINEER. But why never the YEAR?

An album like Miles Davis's "Sketches Of Spain" has multiple CD releases from 1983!:

There seems to be a trend - by labels - to place a catalogue number on the top-right rear-side corner which sometimes points you towards a rough indication (say on Discogs). For example, on the back of Miles Davis's "Big Fun' CD: COL 489776 2 (I guess the 'COL' = Columbia?). But again, I am never certain of the actual remaster YEAR? Thanks, Paul
    Look for the (P)ublishing and (C)opyright years, on the back, the booklet or the disc.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Paul,

I only see two CD releases for 1983. Japan and Europe, with distinct codes. Being 1983, the European version, may well be Japan for Europe.

Oggy

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Look for the (P)ublishing and (C)opyright years, on the back, the booklet or the disc.
    Thanks mville, I do see the (C)opyright on the rear-cover/bottom-centre, very often. However, the DATE is usually of the the same year the ORIGINAL LP was released (eg. 1968). Cheers, Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-29-2017 at 02:41 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Over zealous DJs; repetitive car insurance adverts; cheesy jingles; all causing the music in the background to duck.
    The older I get, the more I dislike advertising. Right now I feel like the middle of next February.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Paul,

I only see two CD releases for 1983. Japan and Europe, with distinct codes. Being 1983, the European version, may well be Japan for Europe.

Oggy
    Oggy, Sorry, perhaps that was not the best example. But what I generally mean is that there are many dates (years) stated for CD releases. How might I narrow my choices, please? Cheers, Paul