title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011 LastLast

Thread: RE: Defining 'Compilation' (help?)

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Defining 'Compilation' (help?)

Thanks a lot Oggy,

Well how about if I only had the TRACK NAME in the dedicated field, and the RECORDED DATE in a self-created tag:

"Blues"; and under a self-created tag RECORDING DATE: '1955'

"Summertime"; and under a self-created tag RECORDING DATE: '1975'

"Hot Jive"; and under a self-created tag RECORDING DATE: '1982'

... and them all sharing the (global) YEAR tag (eg.): '1990' (which is the RELEASE YEAR of the 'collection' CD).

OR, to substitute the 'collection' CD RELEASE YEAR with individual RELEASE YEARS for each and every track:

"Blues"; and under self-created tags RECORDING DATE: '1955', and YEAR '1957'

"Summertime"; and under self-created tags RECORDING DATE: '1975', and YEAR '1980'

"Hot Jive"; and under self-created tags RECORDING DATE: '1982', and YEAR '1987'

Thanks very much.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-04-2017 at 05:05 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Defining 'Compilation' (help?)

I'm simple. I'd set year tag to year the album was released. If I wanted more detail about each track, I'd include this in the comment tag for each track. Like Oggy, I'd mostly use the title tag to hold the name of track.

dBpoweramp Guru

And like Oggy, I'd look at wiki for more detail. For example, I'm listening to the 4 disc Stephen Stills box set this afternoon. And on my ipad I'm looking at the following for lots of track detail.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carr..._Stills_album)

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I'm simple. I'd set year tag to year the album was released. If I wanted more detail about each track, I'd include this in the comment tag for each track. Like Oggy, I'd mostly use the title tag to hold the name of track.
    OK, cheers Gary.

So that would be '1990' in my case.

And then write the original release-year for each individual track in the 'comment' field?

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    OK, cheers Gary.

So that would be '1990' in my case.

And then write the original release-year for each individual track in the 'comment' field?

Paul
    Yes. Release year and recording date and any other interesting thing you might want to know in the comment field.

dBpoweramp Guru

And like Oggy, I'd look at wiki for more detail. For example, I'm listening to the 4 disc Stephen Stills box set this afternoon. And on my ipad I'm looking at the following for lots of track detail.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carr..._Stills_album)
    I have spent around 4 hours per CD over the last two days trying to acquire consistent information. During which, the fun goes out of it all, or me at least. As I have said before, we spend large amounts of money on a definitive boxset, and the record label fails to provide such basic information in the liner notes!

dBpoweramp Guru

[...] we spend large amounts of money on a definitive boxset, and the record label fails to provide such basic information in the liner notes!
    The record labels probably don't much care about our travails. After all, if we're ripping CDs, they already have our money.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    The record labels probably don't much care about our travails. After all, if we're ripping CDs, they already have our money.
    JH, Well, I bought a DVD today (on Amazon) and it does not even have the band-member's names/instruments on; and the only image is a cheesy stock photo (which looks like they d/l it from 'Getty Images')! Never mind the listing of the Producer etc!

The image in the Amazon listing is actually different. It does feature a photo of the band 'Weather Report'; albeit with two WRONG band-members!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Weather-Rep...ke+weather+dvd

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

I have one more Miles Davis CD to rip now ("Panthalassa" - Bill Laswell):

It is a first of a kind to me because the album comprises 9 REMIXES of Miles's previous work (Miles had passed away before the making of this album).

I am guessing that one would file this album under 'Miles Davis'; and that he would also be the 'Album Artist'? The 'Artist' - I think - would be 'Bill Laswell'?

But it's the fact that it's a REMIX which confuses me as to what I should state for 'Year'? I think Oggy would place the entire album under '1998' - even though all of the tracks are from the 1970s? And I don't think it's a 'compilation' because - to me - I perceive the album as an entity of it's own.

Thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-10-2017 at 06:45 PM. Reason: LINK

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

I have one more Miles Davis CD to rip now ("Panthalassa" - Bill Laswell):

It is a first of a kind to me because the album comprises 9 REMIXES of Miles's previous work (Miles had passed away before the making of this album).

I am guessing that one would file this album under 'Miles Davis'; and that he would also be the 'Album Artist'? The 'Artist' - I think - would be 'Bill Laswell'?

But it's the fact that it's a REMIX which confuses me as to what I should state for 'Year'? I think Oggy would place the entire album under '1998' - even though all of the tracks are from the 1970s? And I don't think it's a 'compilation' because - to me - I perceive the album as an entity of it's own.

Thanks,

Paul
    I'd certainly see it as a non-compilation from 1998 - I don't want displayed, in the middle of Compilations.

Artist, I'd probably still use Miles Davis, but possibly have Bill Laswell as a featured artist, as he is mentioned on the sleeve.

I guess the nearest I've got to this is The Beatles, Love, Year 2006, which I didn't mention Giles Martin.

YMMV!!
    Last edited by Oggy; 09-11-2017 at 01:16 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    I'd certainly see it as a non-compilation from 1998 - I don't want displayed, in the middle of Compilations.

Artist, I'd probably still use Miles Davis, but possibly have Bill Laswell as a featured artist, as he is mentioned on the sleeve.

I guess the nearest I've got to this is The Beatles, Love, Year 2006, which I didn't mention Giles Martin.
    Oggy,

Cheers mate, that's helpful. It came up as 'compilation' by default, so I unchecked it.

I decided to use Bill Laswell as the 'Artist' and Miles as the 'Album Artist'. This is because I used Herbie Hancock as the 'Artist' and (Miles as the 'Album Artist') on a Miles Davis TRIBUTE CD last month. I thought that scheming worked quite well.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

... I actually just switched it to 'Miles Davis & Bill Laswell' as Artist. Cheers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

I have been looking through the namings of my 'Compilation' CD rips and I have noticed something.

With regards to CD 'Properties' within Windows, in images 1 & 2 you can see that the artists name is automatically included in the same field as the track number and song title:

But in non-compilation albums, in images 3 & 4 you can see that the artists name is automatically omitted:

Does this matter and is there a reason for this, please?

Many thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 11-14-2017 at 05:50 PM. Reason: Insert Images

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

I have been looking through the namings of my 'Compilation' CD rips and I have noticed something.

With regards to CD 'Properties' within Windows, in images 1 & 2 you can see that the artists name is automatically included in the same field as the track number and song title:

But in non-compilation albums, in images 3 & 4 you can see that the artists name is automatically omitted:

Does this matter and is there a reason for this, please?

Many thanks,

Paul
    This is all correct (and exactly how my naming string is written to work). You are referring to fields, when in fact what you are showing is the FILE NAME in your pictures. My reasoning. When it is a compilation, each track could have a different artist, so I like the FILE NAME to include that track artist as part of file name. When it is NOT a compilation, the artist is the same for all tracks within an album, therefore I don't need the filename to include the artist name. Nothing required about all this. It is just the way I like to organize file names.

dBpoweramp Guru

This is all correct (and exactly how my naming string is written to work). You are referring to fields, when in fact what you are showing is the FILE NAME in your pictures. My reasoning. When it is a compilation, each track could have a different artist, so I like the FILE NAME to include that track artist as part of file name. When it is NOT a compilation, the artist is the same for all tracks within an album, therefore I don't need the filename to include the artist name. Nothing required about all this. It is just the way I like to organize file names.
    Hi Gary,

By 'field', I just use that as a generic term for (what some may call) a 'verbatim box'. So basically just the empty box in which you type the metadata.

So should I just leave everything as it is and go along with how it is appearing by default, please?

Cheers,

Paul