title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: RE: 'SAVE' on PC vs. External-HD (help?)

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: 'SAVE' on PC vs. External-HD (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi, If I wanted to - on a daily basis - back-up the current rips stored on my Dell external-HD onto a: SanDisk MicroSD-card and the 'C' drive of my (1TB) home PC, then is the best way simply to drag&drop (from the Dell), please?

The reason I ask is because (I have been warned) that sometimes when drag&dropping large amounts of GB, or multiple folders-within-folders, the copies can become corrupt (or inexact). Which makes me think it would be wisest to avoid waiting until the whole shebang of 500 x CD are ripped, and trying to perform the copy in a single hit. Thanks, Paul
    I wouldn't wait until the end. After a day of ripping, I move my files to new location (external drive). There are built in mechanisms in windows to make sure copying (drag and drop) is error free. But as a check, after copying files, I run PERFECTTUNES on my destination music folder. If there was an error (like corrupted file or missing track on AR verified album), it will tell you this.

edit: and do yourself a big favor and buy a 1TB USB 3.0 drive to also use for backup. Don't rely on just those SD cards.
    Last edited by garym; 08-28-2017 at 05:54 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: 'SAVE' on PC vs. External-HD (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I wouldn't wait until the end. After a day of ripping, I move my files to new location (external drive). There are built in mechanisms in windows to make sure copying (drag and drop) is error free. But as a check, after copying files, I run PERFECTTUNES on my destination music folder. If there was an error (like corrupted file or missing track on AR verified album), it will tell you this.

edit: and do yourself a big favor and buy a 1TB USB 3.0 drive to also use for backup. Don't rely on just those SD cards.
    OK, thanks. I have added a second destination folder to PERFECTTUNES (ie. to the micro SD card).

I already have a Western Digital 1TB mains-powered external HD. It has been very good. If I am to buy something extra for back-up, then it would probably be an identical model. Cheers.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-28-2017 at 09:00 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Gary, Same results for both storage devices within PerfectTUNES scan:

SD_Card.png

dBpoweramp Guru

Gary, At the moment, I am storing all FLACs on: Dell (1TB) external-HD; SanDisk (200GB) MicroSD-card; and the 'C' drive (1TB) of my PC home laptop. Thanks.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-28-2017 at 11:59 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: 'SAVE' on PC vs. External-HD (help?)

Hi,

My 30GB of FLAC files are now stored in 3 places: on a Dell external HD, a SanDisk SD card, and now also on the 1TB hard-drive of my laptop. Foobar is now configured so as to read all music files from the latter (which saves me having to have an external storage device connected).

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-10-2017 at 06:30 PM. Reason: spelling