title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: RE: 'SAVE' on PC vs. External-HD (help?)

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: 'SAVE' on PC vs. External-HD (help?)

Hi,

I have d/l the TRIAL of PerfectTUNES and dBpa today onto my home PC. And connected the Dell external-HD. It is ripping better than my work PC but I don't think I have properly configured the string/pathway between the two devices. It is not always placing saved items where I would like.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: 'SAVE' on PC vs. External-HD (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Gary, I have about 900GB free on my home laptop. I was considering storing my music FLAC collection on there. But it is impossible to predict how large the end result of my ripping is going to be, and so I sticking to saving everything onto my Dell external-HD. Paul
    No matter where you store, you still need a backup somewhere else.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    No matter where you store, you still need a backup somewhere else.
    Gary, at the moment I have NO back-up! I am tempted to store on the C-drive of my home PC once I can estimate how large the end result will amount to. Then I can listen to my music, via Foobar, and without the need for an external HD. Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Gary, at the moment I have NO back-up! I am tempted to store on the C-drive of my home PC once I can estimate how large the end result will amount to. Then I can listen to my music, via Foobar, and without the need for an external HD. Paul
    No backup is not good. As they say, it's not a matter of *if* a hard-drive will fail, but when. After you've ripped a few hundred CDs and dealt with making your tags and art perfect, you'll be VERY unhappy to see that work disappear. External USB drives are dirt cheap. Seems like I can even get 4TB USB drives from local big box store for < $100.

dBpoweramp Guru

let's say the average single CD ends up as about 400-500MB ripped to FLAC, with artwork, etc. in the folder. So 1,000 CDs will need about 500,000MB, which is 488GB. So you could likely get 2,000 albums on a 1TB disk.

dBpoweramp Guru

let's say the average single CD ends up as about 400-500MB ripped to FLAC, with artwork, etc. in the folder. So 1,000 CDs will need about 500,000MB, which is 488GB. So you could likely get 2,000 albums on a 1TB disk.
    Yes, you are correct. I have ripped about 25 CDs now which amounts to slightly north of 10GB.

dBpoweramp Guru

I ain't got anywhere near 2K albums!

dBpoweramp Guru

I ain't got anywhere near 2K albums!
    So I'd go with 1TB external drive. Plenty of space (and also, not typically good to fill up a drive to its max capacity...so some headroom is good).

p.s. You're not dead yet, so you might have 2,000 CDs before you know it.

dBpoweramp Guru

So I'd go with 1TB external drive. Plenty of space (and also, not typically good to fill up a drive to its max capacity...so some headroom is good).

p.s. You're not dead yet, so you might have 2,000 CDs before you know it.
    Lol, I am age fifty next year!

I forgot about leaving headroom. Someone warned me of that a couple of years ago.

dBpoweramp Guru

Lol, I am age fifty next year!
    I'm sure I've acquired at least 2,000 CDs *since* turning 50.

dBpoweramp Guru

No backup is not good. As they say, it's not a matter of *if* a hard-drive will fail, but when. After you've ripped a few hundred CDs and dealt with making your tags and art perfect, you'll be VERY unhappy to see that work disappear. External USB drives are dirt cheap. Seems like I can even get 4TB USB drives from local big box store for < $100.
    Hi, well I am backing up everything on a SanDisk micro-SD card (for the Sony Walkman when it's returned). Don't know how reliable these are though? Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi, well I am backing up everything on a SanDisk micro-SD card (for the Sony Walkman when it's returned). Don't know how reliable these are though? Paul
    no experience with SD cards. But if that's my backup, I'd have more than one. (which is true for my own USB drive backups as well). I'm paranoid about backups, because I don't want to re-rip 7000+ CDs.

dBpoweramp Guru

no experience with SD cards. But if that's my backup, I'd have more than one. (which is true for my own USB drive backups as well). I'm paranoid about backups, because I don't want to re-rip 7000+ CDs.
    Gary, Well they are very small and I keep dropping it! If it fell on the carpet it would be difficult to find; and could easily end up in the belly of your hoover! Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: 'SAVE' on PC vs. External-HD (help?)

Hi, If I wanted to - on a daily basis - back-up the current rips stored on my Dell external-HD onto a: SanDisk MicroSD-card and the 'C' drive of my (1TB) home PC, then is the best way simply to drag&drop (from the Dell), please?

The reason I ask is because (I have been warned) that sometimes when drag&dropping large amounts of GB, or multiple folders-within-folders, the copies can become corrupt (or inexact). Which makes me think it would be wisest to avoid waiting until the whole shebang of 500 x CD are ripped, and trying to perform the copy in a single hit. Thanks, Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-27-2017 at 06:59 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Gary, Well they are very small and I keep dropping it! If it fell on the carpet it would be difficult to find; and could easily end up in the belly of your hoover! Paul
    Brings a new meaning to, cleaning your files!