title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RE: 'SAVE' on PC vs. External-HD (help?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monsterjazzlick
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jul 2017

Re: 'SAVE' on PC vs. External-HD (help?)

Originally posted by garym
    Yes, delete what is currently in the naming string space, the copy paste the new string above in the same place. And this will AUTOMATICALLY create the genre folders. You don't have to create them first.
    Hi again,

OK, I pasted in the 'string' and then ripped a couple of CDs (making sure all 'genres' were set to 'Jazz'):

Click image for larger version

Name:	string_genre.png
Views:	1
Size:	13.5 KB
ID:	293439

Name:	string_genre_2.png
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	293440

Now, it did create a 'Jazz' (genre) folder and placed my most recently ripped two Miles Davis FLACS within it; but it adds the Artist's NAME to (the start of) each Album-folder title. So you get the Artist's full name followed my the Album name (eg: 'The Beatles - Yellow Submarine'):

Name:	string_genre_3.png
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	293441

1) Do you leave it like this?

2) Can you set 'dBpa' so that it omits the name of the Artist?

3) Or can/do you simply DELETE this info. if preferred?

Thanks a lot.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Jul 2017

Tampa Bay, Dunedin, etc. is a nice area. Lots of great gulf beaches nearby. Tampa itself is big city, but the nearby beach communities, like Dunedin, are great vacation spots.
      Yes, that's it! I did not know how it was spelt because I only heard my sister talk of it. Do you live near there? I think we are going for 10 x days next year.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Jul 2017

not that clever. I just pieced together bits and pieces of things others had posted on the forum and changed it to suit me.
        Well you are streets ahead of me!

Comment

• Oggy
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Apr 2015

and by the way, if you use the foobar2000 setup I gave you in your other thread, you'll have a column that shows all genres. If you click on, for example, Jazz genre, then it will filter automatically and present you with only the albums you have that have the genre jazz. It does this whether you have separate genre folders or not. REMEMBER, FOLDER LOCATION IS JUST FOR US TO SEE THINGS WHEN WE LOOK AT THE FILES ON OUR COMPUTER....ALMOST ALL MUSIC SERVERS ARE USING THE FILE TAGS, NOT THE FOLDERS OR NAMES OF FILES.
          I heard that from here too! I seem to recall that Don asked about this, too.

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
            Yes, that's it! I did not know how it was spelt because I only heard my sister talk of it. Do you live near there? I think we are going for 10 x days next year.
            no, I'm not near. Florida is a big state. From top to bottom it is about a 12 hour drive.

Comment

• garym
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Nov 2007

Hi again,

OK, I pasted in the 'string' and then ripped a couple of CDs (making sure all 'genres' were set to 'Jazz'):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1474[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1475[/ATTACH]

Now, it did create a 'Jazz' (genre) folder and placed my most recently ripped two Miles Davis FLACS within it; but it adds the Artist's NAME to (the start of) each Album-folder title. So you get the Artist's full name followed my the Album name (eg: 'The Beatles - Yellow Submarine'):

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1476[/ATTACH]

1) Do you leave it like this?

2) Can you set 'dBpa' so that it omits the name of the Artist?

3) Or can/do you simply DELETE this info. if preferred?

Thanks a lot.
              sorry. typo. try this:

[IFCOMP][genre]\Compilations\[album] [IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][genre]\[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][]

Comment

• mville
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Dec 2008

Probably not an issue, but something to be aware of is the 260 character pathname/filename length limit. Although, latest builds of Windows 10 try to address this limit, there is no satisfactory fix as firstly, users have to opt-in and even then, there are compatibility issues with older 3rd party software.

garym's Naming string does not use the MAXLENGTH function and I notice that your Path is already quite long e.g. C:\Users\xxxx_xxxxx_xxxxxx\Music\monsterjazzlicks_ FLAC\

I would try to keep the hard-coded parts of the pathname to a minimum.

Comment

• garym
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Nov 2007

Originally posted by mville
                  Probably not an issue, but something to be aware of is the 260 character pathname/filename length limit. Although, latest builds of Windows 10 try to address this limit, there is no satisfactory fix as firstly, users have to opt-in and even then, there are compatibility issues with older 3rd party software.

garym's Naming string does not use the MAXLENGTH function and I notice that your Path is already quite long e.g. C:\Users\xxxx_xxxxx_xxxxxx\Music\monsterjazzlicks_ FLAC\

excellent point mville. This is most likely an issue with classical (very long names). Given that he's using music files on an external HD, there is really no reason for him to have the really long path such as "C:\Users\xxxx_xxxxx_xxxxxx\Music\monsterjazzlicks _FLAC". He should really just have the path as "E:\music\genre\......" (assuming the external drive is E

edit: or just use maxlength. this should work (although I'd still shorten the fixed path part as noted above):
                  [MAXLENGTH]260,[IFCOMP][genre]\Compilations\[album] [IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][genre]\[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][][]
                  Last edited by garym; 08-11-2017, 12:24 PM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Jul 2017

Mville - OK, I have changed the name now of the folder on my external-HD so as to reduce the name-length (to just 'FLAC').

As per screenshots:

Name:	Path_1.png
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	293446

Name:	Path_2.png
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	293447

Name:	Path_3.png
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	293448

Comment

• garym
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Nov 2007

Mville - OK, I have changed the name now of the folder on my external-HD so as to reduce the name-length (to just 'FLAC').

As per screenshots:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1481[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1482[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1483[/ATTACH]
                      looks good. By the way I see these screenshots just fine.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Jul 2017

[MAXLENGTH]260,[IFCOMP][genre]\Compilations\[album] [IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][genre]\[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][][]
                        Gary - I just made a rip using the new kindly given 'string'. Did you make a modification in that now it does not add the Artist Name to the start of the Album Name? I just noticed it says: "Miles Smiles" instead of (as before version): "Miles Davis-Miles Smiles". Cheers.
                        Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-11-2017, 04:37 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• mville
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Dec 2008

OK, I have changed the name now of the folder on my external-HD so as to reduce the name-length (to just 'FLAC').

As per screenshots:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1481[/ATTACH]
                          Good.

Now, just reduce the MAXLENGTH down a touch, to say 240 (so you can copy the odd file later, for say testing purposes. You won't get so many Windows warnings, which can be a real pain).

Comment

• garym
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Nov 2007

Gary - I just made a rip using the new kindly given 'string'. Did you make a modification in that now it does not add the Artist Name to the start of the Album Name? I just noticed it says: "Miles Smiles" instead of (as before version): "Miles Davis-Miles Smiles". Cheers.
                            Yes. But I also fixed that problem for you several posts back, maybe in your other thread. But yes, the newest version does what you want now. But change the 260 to 240, as per mville's good suggestion.
                            Last edited by garym; 08-11-2017, 04:44 PM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Jul 2017

Now, just reduce the MAXLENGTH down a touch, to say 240 (so you can copy the odd file later, for say testing purposes. You won't get so many Windows warnings, which can be a real pain).
                              Mville - thanks for bearing with me! So - in 'dBpa' - I change the '260' value down to '240' as per screenshots, please?:

Name:	Max.png
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	293450

Name:	Max_2.png
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	293451
                              Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-11-2017, 04:46 PM. Reason: screenshot

Comment

• mville
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Dec 2008

So - in 'dBpa' - I change the '260' value down to '240' as per screenshots, please?
                                I can't see the screenshots. I get the Invalid Attachment specified error.

Comment

Working...

]]>