title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: RE: 'SAVE' on PC vs. External-HD (help?)

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: 'SAVE' on PC vs. External-HD (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Yes, delete what is currently in the naming string space, the copy paste the new string above in the same place. And this will AUTOMATICALLY create the genre folders. You don't have to create them first.
    Hi again,

OK, I pasted in the 'string' and then ripped a couple of CDs (making sure all 'genres' were set to 'Jazz'):

string_genre.png

string_genre_2.png

Now, it did create a 'Jazz' (genre) folder and placed my most recently ripped two Miles Davis FLACS within it; but it adds the Artist's NAME to (the start of) each Album-folder title. So you get the Artist's full name followed my the Album name (eg: 'The Beatles - Yellow Submarine'):

string_genre_3.png

1) Do you leave it like this?

2) Can you set 'dBpa' so that it omits the name of the Artist?

3) Or can/do you simply DELETE this info. if preferred?

Thanks a lot.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: 'SAVE' on PC vs. External-HD (help?)

Tampa Bay, Dunedin, etc. is a nice area. Lots of great gulf beaches nearby. Tampa itself is big city, but the nearby beach communities, like Dunedin, are great vacation spots.
    Yes, that's it! I did not know how it was spelt because I only heard my sister talk of it. Do you live near there? I think we are going for 10 x days next year.

dBpoweramp Guru

not that clever. I just pieced together bits and pieces of things others had posted on the forum and changed it to suit me.
    Well you are streets ahead of me!

dBpoweramp Guru

and by the way, if you use the foobar2000 setup I gave you in your other thread, you'll have a column that shows all genres. If you click on, for example, Jazz genre, then it will filter automatically and present you with only the albums you have that have the genre jazz. It does this whether you have separate genre folders or not. REMEMBER, FOLDER LOCATION IS JUST FOR US TO SEE THINGS WHEN WE LOOK AT THE FILES ON OUR COMPUTER....ALMOST ALL MUSIC SERVERS ARE USING THE FILE TAGS, NOT THE FOLDERS OR NAMES OF FILES.
    I heard that from here too! I seem to recall that Don asked about this, too.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Yes, that's it! I did not know how it was spelt because I only heard my sister talk of it. Do you live near there? I think we are going for 10 x days next year.
    no, I'm not near. Florida is a big state. From top to bottom it is about a 12 hour drive.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi again,

OK, I pasted in the 'string' and then ripped a couple of CDs (making sure all 'genres' were set to 'Jazz'):

string_genre.png

string_genre_2.png

Now, it did create a 'Jazz' (genre) folder and placed my most recently ripped two Miles Davis FLACS within it; but it adds the Artist's NAME to (the start of) each Album-folder title. So you get the Artist's full name followed my the Album name (eg: 'The Beatles - Yellow Submarine'):

string_genre_3.png

1) Do you leave it like this?

2) Can you set 'dBpa' so that it omits the name of the Artist?

3) Or can/do you simply DELETE this info. if preferred?

Thanks a lot.
    sorry. typo. try this:

[IFCOMP][genre]\Compilations\[album] [IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][genre]\[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][]

dBpoweramp Guru

Probably not an issue, but something to be aware of is the 260 character pathname/filename length limit. Although, latest builds of Windows 10 try to address this limit, there is no satisfactory fix as firstly, users have to opt-in and even then, there are compatibility issues with older 3rd party software.

garym's Naming string does not use the MAXLENGTH function and I notice that your Path is already quite long e.g. C:\Users\xxxx_xxxxx_xxxxxx\Music\monsterjazzlicks_ FLAC\

I would try to keep the hard-coded parts of the pathname to a minimum.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Probably not an issue, but something to be aware of is the 260 character pathname/filename length limit. Although, latest builds of Windows 10 try to address this limit, there is no satisfactory fix as firstly, users have to opt-in and even then, there are compatibility issues with older 3rd party software.

garym's Naming string does not use the MAXLENGTH function and I notice that your Path is already quite long e.g. C:\Users\xxxx_xxxxx_xxxxxx\Music\monsterjazzlicks_ FLAC\

excellent point mville. This is most likely an issue with classical (very long names). Given that he's using music files on an external HD, there is really no reason for him to have the really long path such as "C:\Users\xxxx_xxxxx_xxxxxx\Music\monsterjazzlicks _FLAC". He should really just have the path as "E:\music\genre\......" (assuming the external drive is E

edit: or just use maxlength. this should work (although I'd still shorten the fixed path part as noted above):
    [MAXLENGTH]260,[IFCOMP][genre]\Compilations\[album] [IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][genre]\[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][][]
    Last edited by garym; 08-11-2017 at 08:24 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Mville - OK, I have changed the name now of the folder on my external-HD so as to reduce the name-length (to just 'FLAC').

As per screenshots:

Path_1.png

Path_2.png

Path_3.png

dBpoweramp Guru

Mville - OK, I have changed the name now of the folder on my external-HD so as to reduce the name-length (to just 'FLAC').

As per screenshots:

Path_1.png

Path_2.png

Path_3.png
    looks good. By the way I see these screenshots just fine.

dBpoweramp Guru

[MAXLENGTH]260,[IFCOMP][genre]\Compilations\[album] [IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][genre]\[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][][]
    Gary - I just made a rip using the new kindly given 'string'. Did you make a modification in that now it does not add the Artist Name to the start of the Album Name? I just noticed it says: "Miles Smiles" instead of (as before version): "Miles Davis-Miles Smiles". Cheers.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-11-2017 at 12:37 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

OK, I have changed the name now of the folder on my external-HD so as to reduce the name-length (to just 'FLAC').

As per screenshots:

Path_1.png
    Good.

Now, just reduce the MAXLENGTH down a touch, to say 240 (so you can copy the odd file later, for say testing purposes. You won't get so many Windows warnings, which can be a real pain).

dBpoweramp Guru

Gary - I just made a rip using the new kindly given 'string'. Did you make a modification in that now it does not add the Artist Name to the start of the Album Name? I just noticed it says: "Miles Smiles" instead of (as before version): "Miles Davis-Miles Smiles". Cheers.
    Yes. But I also fixed that problem for you several posts back, maybe in your other thread. But yes, the newest version does what you want now. But change the 260 to 240, as per mville's good suggestion.
    Last edited by garym; 08-11-2017 at 12:44 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Now, just reduce the MAXLENGTH down a touch, to say 240 (so you can copy the odd file later, for say testing purposes. You won't get so many Windows warnings, which can be a real pain).
    Mville - thanks for bearing with me! So - in 'dBpa' - I change the '260' value down to '240' as per screenshots, please?:

Max.png

Max_2.png
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-11-2017 at 12:46 PM. Reason: screenshot

dBpoweramp Guru

So - in 'dBpa' - I change the '260' value down to '240' as per screenshots, please?
    I can't see the screenshots. I get the Invalid Attachment specified error.