title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: CD or CDr

CD or CDr

is there anywhere in dBpoweramp that it tells you whether you have a CD or CDr in the drive?

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: CD or CDr

By CD, I assume you mean an Audio CD (CD-DA)?

CDRipper reads the audio CD (CD-DA) format only, so if a CD-R (recordable CD) has been formatted as a CD-DA, then CDRipper will treat it like any other audio CD and will list the CD track data as normal.

If a CD-R has been formatted as a data CD (ISO 9660 data format), CDRipper will not read it, so in CDRipper, nothing will happen and you will be left with the 'Insert Audio CD into' window.

yes I mean an audio CD.

I'm wondering if you can look somewhere in dB and it will tell you if the audio CD you have in the drive is a standard CD or CD-R as sometimes I can't tell the difference by looking at the disc itself.

dBpoweramp Guru

A standard audio CD will have the artist, album, label info, logo etc. printed on one side of the disc, a CD-R won't.

... also, if you are not sure whether a blank, non-labelled disc has been formatted as an audio CD or a data CD, as well as checking in CDRipper, you are able to navigate to the disc in the operating system (Windows File Explorer or Mac OS Finder). If the contents of the disc show a list of .cda files, the disc is an audio CD, if not, it is a data CD.
    Last edited by mville; 08-10-2017 at 06:37 AM. Reason: added extra test