title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Ripping/Quality of music HEEEELP

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Ripping/Quality of music HEEEELP

Quote Originally Posted by MadFish View Post
    "mentor statement" was that he told me that if I copied cd's first in MDX that I would get a better bit rate because 24 bit was hidden in the background of a CD.
    You should avoid this "mentor" as the statement above is complete nonsense. 24 bit info is not "hidden" in a CD.

It could be a ride depending how you look at it. For me it the understanding my system has how best to get quality playback and not damaging my speakers again. My world consists of compression ratios screw's, vent depths, crystalline and amorphous resins, sheer rates, thermo zones not computers and Audio systems. I could talk to you about my world all day. I was left stranded in my build and looking to finish my system so I can enjoy my passion, music. Everybody wants to sell you more equipment not getting to the root cause. I feel mville is spot on so far and looking forward to progress. But, thank you for your comment. Now to business.
    Library resides in an dedicated PC, windows 8.1
    The sound card is setup-WASAPI
    Processor to sound card, RCA cables.
    when I reconfigured the ripping process DSP to "regainplay"
    Processor is connected to amp via XlR cables
    Last night I setup my dbpoweramp to these instructions-https://dbpoweramp.com/cd-ripper-setup-guide.htm
    Audioquest is the brand of cable/wire, "water" in one of the four different lines of quality, XLR cables are used to connect the preamp to amp.
    I also ran perfectTunes and it found 630 corrupt files (MP3's) not sure how

It could be a ride depending how you look at it. For me it the understanding my system has how best to get quality playback and not damaging my speakers again. My world consists of compression ratios screw's, vent depths, crystalline and amorphous resins, sheer rates, thermo zones not computers and Audio systems. I could talk to you about my world all day. I was left stranded in my build and looking to finish my system so I can enjoy my passion, music. Everybody wants to sell you more equipment not getting to the root cause. I feel mville is spot on so far and looking forward to progress. But, thank you for your comment. Now to business.
    Last night I setup my dbpoweramp to these instructions-https://dbpoweramp.com/cd-ripper-setup-guide.htm
    Audioquest is the brand of cable/wire, "water" in one of the four different lines of quality, XLR cables are used to connect the preamp to amp.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Most modern CDs have clipping hard coded into them.
    Clipp.png
    Clipp.png is a snapshot of the song Crazy by Gnarls Barkley in wave format.

My solution for such recordings is a super expensive program called stereotool. It's really hard to figure out how to configure, but has the best declipper I've ever seen.
    Sometimes it recreates the clipped wave to be much louder than the rest of the song making the song sound very quite. For this I made a custom peak leveler with python.

dBpoweramp Guru

Is the preamp the same device as the processor?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

For reference, here's a shot of the same song in the same spot at the same scale, after it's been processed.
    Declipp.png

Correct, the preamp is the processor.

dBpoweramp Guru

To clarify, this is your setup?

Windows 8.1 PC with:
    Sound Blaster ZxR soundcard
    JRiver Media Center software
    dBpoweramp Music Converter software
    AIFF (CDRipper accuraterip) audio library

ZxR soundcard L+R RCA outputs >> Rotel RC-1590 stereo preamplifier RCA inputs

Rotel RC-1590 XLR outputs >> Rotel RB-1590 stereo amplifier XLR inputs

Q1. Do you have any other devices connected to the Rotel RC-1590?

Q2. Does the JRiver have exclusive control over the Sound Blaster ZxR soundcard (i.e. when playing AIFF audio library is the soundcard shared with system sounds and any other applications)?

Q3. Is it just using JRiver/audio library that blows your speakers?

Q4. How often are you blowing speakers?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by ForSerious View Post
    My solution for such recordings is a super expensive program called stereotool. It's really hard to figure out how to configure, but has the best declipper I've ever seen.
    Is stereotool used as a realtime audio dsp plugin to your player software?

1-turn table
    2-I believe that Jriver has control but not for sure. Not sure how to tell
    3-I use Jriver to control my library.
    4-Eight times over the last two years. One pair of CM9's six times for the CM10's
    I talked to Bower and Wilkens tech service and they said that the speakers needed a minimum of 100 hours of break in. I currently have 70 hours over the last month in a half.

dBpoweramp Guru

1-turn table
    Do you have a CD player you could connect?

2-I believe that Jriver has control but not for sure. Not sure how to tell
    This is fairly crucial. JRiver is playing your music (as you have stated, very loud). Any other audio may distort/clip/overload the soundcard and blow your speakers.

3-I use Jriver to control my library.
    This answer makes no sense to the question I asked. Please can you answer appropriately?

4-Eight times over the last two years. One pair of CM9's six times for the CM10's
    I talked to Bower and Wilkens tech service and they said that the speakers needed a minimum of 100 hours of break in. I currently have 70 hours over the last month in a half.
    Yes, breaking in your speakers was something I had considered. What speakers are you currently using?

I currently don't own a cd player. Your thoughts there?
    Very interesting comment that I never considered that the soundcard could be distorting. I believe that the Rotel RC1590 has a digital to antilog converter or purchase a DAC
    When I listen to music I use my table to access Jriver. A copy of the library is stored in Jriver. Each time I purchase a new cd I rip it in dbpoweramp then import it into Jriver.
    I put in another four hours towards my speaks last night. Tonight is LP, record night.
    Bowers and Wilkens CM10's-brand new replacements as of early June.

dBpoweramp Guru

Very interesting comment that I never considered that the soundcard could be distorting. I believe that the Rotel RC1590 has a digital to antilog converter or purchase a DAC
    When I listen to music I use my table to access Jriver. A copy of the library is stored in Jriver. Each time I purchase a new cd I rip it in dbpoweramp then import it into Jriver.
    I put in another four hours towards my speaks last night. Tonight is LP, record night.
    Bowers and Wilkens CM10's-brand new replacements as of early June.
    Hi MadFish,

I've been watching this thread, and hope you can find a resolution for your blown drive units.

I was in Hi-Fi retail, for nearly 15 years, half of which I sold Rotel and B&W. Rotel equipment was always reliable, and if I replaced a dozen B&W drive units, in total, I'd be surprised. This isn't to say a manufacturer cannot have a bad batch, and multiple drive unit failures, but it tends to be mid / bass units rather than across the board.

I spoke to a dealer friend, and they said that they have had no problems with the Rotel, and minimal drive unit failure with B&W. "Enthusiastic" use at parties, being the normal cause of failure, usually after the tone controls have been adjusted fully clockwise!

The Rotel preamp, appears to be a very purist design, basically an analogue preamp, with digital inputs, but without sound processing. Nothing that is likely to cause issues, and the power amp has a reputation for being, bullet proof.

CDs ripped to AIFF, by dBpoweramp, would cause no problems, so as others have surmised, the most likely cause of the problems, is going to be the sound card, or pumping up certain frequencies, with the graphic equaliser, in JRiver Media Center.

A PC is an incredibly noisy environment for an analogue signal, especially with the very revealing amp and speakers. I believe you will get a better sound, if you use the DAC in the Rotel, using digital out, from the PC.

Please bear in mind, that I'm out of touch with recent Hi-Fi, and don't know your set up, but using an analogue output from a PC, is not supplying the signal your amps and speakers deserve - if I've understood your set up, correctly.

Good luck,

Oggy
    Last edited by Oggy; 08-12-2017 at 01:45 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

First of all, I'm not sure why you are reluctant to answer Q3, whether it is only the JRiver, playing your audio library, that blows your speakers?

I am going with the idea that the Rotel RC-1590, Rotel RB-1590 and B&W CM10's are all ok.

If you had a CD player connected and you were to play CDs and not the JRiver at you preferred (loud) listening level and you still blow the speakers, then it is likely that the level is way too loud.

If you are able to play CDs and you don't blow the speakers, then it is likely you have a problem with the JRiver/Soundcard setup, something Oggy has alluded to also.

It concerns me slightly that you are not sure about windows audio exclusive mode. I suggest you google this and set the properties accordingly in the Sound Control Panel so that JRiver can take exclusive control of the soundcard.

Oggy also makes a good point regarding the Rotel DACs. You are currently using the soundcard analog outputs. I believe, the soundcard also has optical digital outputs, which you may want consider using.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Is stereotool used as a realtime audio dsp plugin to your player software?
    It has the option to filter all audio output from your PC in real-time or there is a command line program that will create a processed wav file.
    It took me about 3 months of off-and-on fiddling with the settings to get what I think sounds best. The beauty of it is, if there is not clipping in the song, it changes nothing.

I'm not suggesting this as a great option, more just to bring up the fact that most modern music is clipped.
    Last edited by ForSerious; 08-12-2017 at 04:27 PM.