title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ripping/Quality of music HEEEELP

Ripping/Quality of music HEEEELP

First ever post. I am a music fanatic. Over the last couple of years I have spent several dollars upgrading my music delivery system. I also have spent hundreds of hours coping and recopying my 1000's of CD into my library. I went through BDpoweramp and copied all to AIFF files "same as source". My problem is that I have blown eight pairs of speaker, six CM10's and one CM9 driven by a 350 watt amp (LIKE IT LOUD). I think my music is clipping. I do not have a clipping meter on my Rotel 1590 amp. Now I am wondering if I should recopy to FLAC. My question is can I recopy my library to change from AIFF to FLAC and have better quality and most of all consistent music. Any Help. I have dealt with a lot of people all over the country (Bowers and Wilkens, ROtel, Listenup, BestBuy Magnolia Dept.) who all say that they know and in the end another speaker is blown.

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Ripping/Quality of music HEEEELP

To be clear, you ripped your CDs to AIFF files, using CDRipper?

Correct. All CD's were ripped to AIFF files.

dBpoweramp Guru

Can you describe in more detail, how you playback these AIFF files, including hardware and software involved?

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by MadFish View Post
    Correct. All CD's were ripped to AIFF files.
    You used no audio editing DSPs in the ripping process?

... and the rips were accuraterips, according to CDRipper?
    Last edited by mville; 08-10-2017 at 07:51 AM. Reason: are the AIFF files accuraterips?

dBpoweramp Guru

I have dealt with a lot of people all over the country (Bowers and Wilkens, ROtel, Listenup, BestBuy Magnolia Dept.) who all say that they know and in the end another speaker is blown.
    What is it that they say they know?

dBpoweramp Guru

My problem is that I have blown eight pairs of speaker, six CM10's and one CM9 driven by a 350 watt amp
    Is it the tweeter that is blowing in the CM10/CM9's?

Setup-Rotel amp RB*1590, Rotel receiver RC-1590, Bowers and Wilkens CM 10's, Dedicated pc running windows 8.1 with sound blaster ZxR soundcard, Audioquest, water speaker and XLR cables, Furman Ref20i power conditioner. All rips were ran thru accuraterips to AIFF files. very few cd's would not accrataterip. I did setup everything last night from the dBpoweramp CD ripper-setup guide using FLAX as the file. I tried to rip three cd's but it would not copy the last song on all three cd's. No audio editing. When playing music I use Jriver media center because of its tablet capabilities. My first mentor told me to first copy my music in MDX file then through accuraterips. That took a very long time, year. Now, I just copy as an AIFF file to the library. Mostly the subs blow, have had the mid blow and last time was the tweeters. First they sold me a receiver to drive the cm10's then purchase 2 underpowered Marantz PM14S1 amps. When ripping I did have the setting on Burst. Changed as of yesterday.

dBpoweramp Guru

The magic of music doesn't lie in the sound level...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't exceed the power of your amplifier the max recommended power of your speaker? In combination with noise (introduced by the components or interfering signals) or clipping of the components I can imagine that the signal and your speaker are out of specs.

Dat Ei

This is not my field just wanted to experience my music collection to another level. I am an avid music collector. I am the payment source and rely on others experience to help me build to my financial limit (I'm There). Thru my research I believe clipping is my main issue. That is what I am trying to get to the bottom of. I have dealt with so people all over the country. Most of the time information contradicts the last persons information. Then you get on line then your head is spinning. The Rotel combination and the Bowers and Wilkens are teamed together. Two different companies but they feed each other. B&W recommend the Rotel and Rotel recommends B&W. Supposedly my setup is optimum.

dBpoweramp Guru

Your (lossless) AIFF files, ripped as accuraterips, are, on playback, identical (digital audio) to that of the original CDs. Converting these to flac gives you nothing in terms of the digital audio, so I think you are barking up the wrong tree there.

The problem therefore, lies with your playback.

Firstly, I am not clear on the exact audio path here (AIFF thru to speaker).

Secondly, I don't understand the following:
    My first mentor told me to first copy my music in MDX file then through accuraterips. That took a very long time, year. Now, I just copy as an AIFF file to the library.

Thirdly, check that you are not adding additional DSP in JRiver (which may cause clipping).

Finally, I have been using a similar Rotel/B&W setup for over 13 years to play my flac library and my 700 series speakers (5.1) have never blown, so I know this can be setup correctly.
    Last edited by mville; 08-10-2017 at 02:57 PM. Reason: request to clarify exact setup

Sweet, that gives me hope. I really thought it was in my playback but just did not know how to proceed. All the other people I referred too are just salesmen. As far that "mentor statement" was that he told me that if I copied cd's first in MDX that I would get a better bit rate because 24 bit was hidden in the background of a CD. I used a program called Daemon tools to copy to MDX then go to Jriver and convert to AIFF. I now by pass the Daemon tools step and go straight to Jriver for ripping to library. I will check on the DSP setting in Jriver. I am very naïve when it comes to this. Help me understand your statement "AIFF thru to speaker". When I rip them, I rip them to my library as an AIFF format. Thanks for your patience.

dBpoweramp Guru

I used a program called Daemon tools to copy to MDX then go to Jriver and convert to AIFF. I now by pass the Daemon tools step and go straight to Jriver for ripping to library.
    I thought you said you ripped your CDs using CDRipper?

I am very naïve when it comes to this. Help me understand your statement "AIFF thru to speaker". When I rip them, I rip them to my library as an AIFF format. Thanks for your patience.
    Where do the AIFF files reside, on a hard disk, flash drive? I assume there is a PC involved somewhere, if so, what platform/OS?

How is JRiver configured and is it configured to output thru the sound blaster ZxR soundcard and if so, how, DirectSound, WASAPI?

How does the soundcard connect to the Rotel processor if at all, via analog RCA outputs or s/pdif output?

Are you using ReplayGain on playback within JRiver and are the output levels set correctly?

I assume the processor connects to the amp, then the speakers?

What is the Audioquest, water speaker and XLR cables used for?

etc. etc.

Any of these things and more may be a factor. Please provide a clear outline of your setup and how it all connects, as I don't want to have to make any assumptions, if I and others here, are to help you.

dBpoweramp Guru

As far that "mentor statement" was that he told me that if I copied cd's first in MDX that I would get a better bit rate because 24 bit was hidden in the background of a CD.
    Good grief. Does anyone else understand what was possibly meant here?

dBpoweramp Guru

Are we being taken for a ride?