title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry Newbie needs help

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Raspberry Newbie needs help

Simon:

I may have found part of the problem. While I thought the server was still mounted to the Raspberry, I found that this was no longer the case probably explaining why the music wouldn't play. I actually think this happened before I even tried to add the line to the crontab file, although I didn't realize this until after I added the line in the crontab file, hoping that might solve the failure of the music to play. After I added the line to crontab and rebooted, ls -l revealed no mounted drivers. I checked the /etc/fstab file and the line I wrote in there is exactly as I had entered it. However, take a look at the message when I entered the line I had used the day before to mount the drive:

Attachment 1502

Not sure I understand what has changed.

Aaron

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Simon:

Got out of the shower and suddenly realized that I had left out the colon in my mount command. I just reentered it with the colon but it still doesn't work. Here's the error message I got:

Attachment 1503

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Aaron

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Once you rebooted you didn't have the statd running - your NAS obviously needs a locking mechanism on the NFS mount.
    So go back and repeat the commands for the statd Daemon.

You may need to add these commands into the crontab file, so they run on reboot.

Simon.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

OK; thanks. That makes sense. I assume all of this means that my device rebooted on its own? Maybe a power surge/dropout? Otherwise I can't explain why the programming I had done/inserted "went away".

I will see if I can get this setup

Aaron

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

It worked. I think I am good to go; with the commands in the crontab, should be good with a reboot.

Thanks again

Aaron

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

You rebooted "After I added the line to crontab and rebooted, ls -l revealed no mounted drivers. "

So you just need to ensure that all the commands required are run on reboot, so you are good to go, as reboots are required after updating the Raspberry Pi, or maybe it locks up & a power recycle is required.

Just run a nfsstat -m & nfsstat -c and let's see how your Pi has mounted the WD unit

Simon

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Simon:

Thanks for your continued help. Interestingly, although everything worked well last night, I was again unable to play music this afternoon. I rebooted and everything came back so either the device is locking up or power cycling is an issue.

Here is the result of the nfssat -m and nfssat -c:

Attachment 1514

As you can see, the mount was described with "-m" but not "-c". I am not sure what this means, but would appreciate any help resolving this last issue.

Aaron

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Ok try nfsstat -c (Client Stats for the NFS mount) & also nfsstat -rc
    Check that the 'retrans' stat is zero (i.e. the NFS is not dropping any packets and having to retransmit them).

Also netstat -tpe to see what protocol are being used on the nfs mount.

Simon

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

nfsstat command resulted in a "command not found". Results of nfsstat -rc displayed in attachment.

Attachment 1517

Aaron

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Sorry missed the netstat...results attached.

Attachment 1529

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Simon:

I think I have identified the problem. Check this out:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...?f=91&t=138541

I have found two solutions. When you have a moment, can you review these two suggestions and let me know which one seems best (the "keep console on" snip is much more recent and warns of outdated file locations on the "blank screen" solution).

Attachment 1538

Attachment 1539

Thanks

Aaron

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Or just remove all of the Xterminal components & any desktop elements.

The standard RaspberryPi OS build is that for a general computing platform. What you want is an optimized 'headless' server just running Asset, as a music server.

There is much that can be removed see
    https://raspberrypi.stackexchange.co...eadless-server

&

sudo apt-get remove --purge wolfram-engine scratch nuscratch sonic-pi pistore idle3 smartsim penguinspuzzle java-common minecraft-pi python-minecraftpi python3-minecraftpi libx11-6 libgtk-3-common xkb-data lxde-icon-theme raspberrypi-artwork

From https://www.reddit.com/r/raspberry_p...less_raspbian/

And

http://seanelvidge.com/2014/05/quick...adless-server/

I only run the very minimal processes to boot, mount the NAS and run Asset & no more - fully optimized.

Have a read.

Simon

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Sounds good. I will have to look at this when I return from some travels. Hopefully next weekend.

Thanks for the help.

Aaron

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Simon:

I am back and things seem to be working much better. I turned off Twonky on the server and the Asset UPnP still works fine. I also think I have resolved the power issue: I had plugged in the Raspberry pi power source into a plug that was turned off by a master switch. I hadn't even realized this was happening until I got back. So I think I am in good shape for now.

I am having a minor problem with Asset itself. Every time I select an album, Asset is adding duplicate and then triplicate copies of every track to the queue. I assume this is a configuration problem, but I haven't been able to identify the source yet. Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all of the help.

Aaron

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

That's an interaction bewreen your control point to render, sorry can't help

You need Spoon himself to take logs of the Control point interaction & see what is being requested from the server, and what is being prepared to serve to the render.

Simon