title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Raspberry Newbie needs help

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Raspberry Newbie needs help

Simon:

I was thinking about something like this:

"nfs://192.168.1.152/nfs/Music /home/pi/nas nfs ro 0 0"

Do you think I need to use my username and Password?

What do you think?

Thanks

Aaron

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Simon:

I tried the line as written in the post above and I received the following message:

Attachment 1441

As may recall, the server indicated that the correct mounting address was as shown below:

Attachment 1442

As such, having used the exact term suggested by the server and in the support page you shared, I am unclear how to proceed. Do you think I should I remove the second backslash, replace the IP address with the device name, or some other change?

Thanks

Aaron
    Last edited by ASF; 08-08-2017 at 09:25 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I think it just a case of getting the syntax right, can you run

sudo mount nfs://192.168.1.152/nfs/Music /home/pi/nas

Remember the directory NAS needs to be created in /home/pi

Thanks,
    Simon

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

In fact see https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/v...p?f=66&t=74351

And the last post in this, with the syntax to the mount command

sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.1.47:/nfs/Public /home/pi/nas1

So that would be

sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.1.152:/nfs/Music /home/pi/nas

See if these work

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

SUCCESS!!!! The revised mount command worked perfectly!! Thanks so much for your OUTSTANDING help and your patience with me!!

Aaron

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Simon:

So now that I am setup, I want Asset UPnP to create its library only from the albums in WAV format. As you may recall, I have three subfolders in the Music directory, FLAC, WAV, and MP3. Each album is duplicated in the WAV and MP3 in these respective formats; there are only a couple of FLAC-formatted albums. I have configured Asset to specifically exclude FLAC and MP3 files, and have specifically listed the MUSIC/WAV folder on a separate line under /home/pi/nas in the "Watched Media Folders". Could/should I do anything to tell Asset to confine its search to the Music/WAV folder?

Thanks again for your help.

Aaron

Thanks again

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Good news that you have now mounted the NAS Share from the RaspberryPi - was this as a mount command, or do you have the fstab entry working, so that the mount is made on reboot

"$ crontab -e
    Enter the following into the crontab file above the entry to start Asset
    @reboot sudo mount /home/pi/nas
    and test by rebooting 'sudo reboot' that the NAS is automatically remounted."

In terms of the Watched folders in Asset, these could either be at the top level of the mount, and then configure Asset to only index and serve the WAV files.
    This is a configuration setting. You could also specify the WAV folder as the only Watched folder, and let it index and serve any relevant files it finds.
    What happens if you get some FLAC files from HDtracks or the like?

I understand how you may want the MP3 versions of the WAV/FLAC files in a separate folder, for a different device. For instance I have a iTunes share, with files converted into ALAC and AAC that replicates of FLAC versions, for the iPod devices I have. I also have an iTunes folder in my Music share for files that only exist in ALAC, which present themselves to Asset as M4A (as I initially ripped straight into iTunes, but that was pre-Squeezebox and Naim players) and AAC bought from iTunes. Any MP3 are in there too.
    These are also listed and accessed from iTunes too. However there is only less than 2% of my music collection in lossy (AAC or MP3) and about 6% in ALAC.

Now I also want to introduce you to the transcoding configuration feature in Asset - you can allow Asset to unpack the compressed lossless format of FLAC (& ALAC) and serve it as WAV. It means it can take up less space as compressed lossless, be easier to manage from a metadata standpoint, but be presented to your playback endpoint as bit-perfect uncompressed lossless files.

So this section of the Asset configuration becomes:
    Capture.PNG

What is the Playback Endpoint you are serving?

Simon.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Simon:

The mount actually occurred following the revision to the mount command. The original iteration of the fstab code you suggested for NFS proved basically to be the correct syntax. I will add the code to ensure that the mount automatically occurs with a reboot. Do I need to do this from any specific folder, or does crontab live at the root?

In terms of configuring Asset, I assumed I had to maintain "/home/pi/nas" as the primary folder to "watch" as suggested in the configuration manual and Spoon's online instructions. Is this correct? Assuming this was the case, I placed "Music/WAV" as a separate listing on the line below "/home/pi/nas". If not, I will delete the latter listing; I was afraid to do so for fear of messing up the Asset search. When I download hi-res FLAC files, I usually maintain them in FLAC format and then use dp Music Converter to create WAV files for insertion into the WAV folder so Asset can access them. You raise a good point, however, as the Naim player (I have the same unit as you) can play 192/24 bit files. I will think a bit more on that.

I maintain a copy of each album in mp3 format to play at our desktops. We each have a copy of OrangeCD which I use to maintain our music inventory. It has a nice feature on its "Misc" tab for each album where you can insert the location of each album in the mp3 folder. We can then play each album directly through OrangeCD (using Windows Media Player).

I am aware of the transcoding feature, but having just purchased this new server I still have 10TB of unused storage....I think I'll be good for a while.

Thanks again for the outstanding support.

Best

Aaron

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Simon:

BTW I noticed that the text for re-mounting /home/pi/nas you wrote above is not the full command that I had to use to get the server mounted. Do I need to replicate that code or is just stating "Mount /home/pi/nas" OK?

Aaron

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

So using the syntax that works with your WD Device, the fstab entry should be something like this

192.168.1.152:/nfs/Music /home/pi/nas nfs ro 0 0

You can then use a simple command to make the mount

$ sudo mount /home/pi/nas

This can then be run on reboot from your crontab file

"$ crontab -e
    Enter the following into the crontab file above the entry to start Asset
    @reboot sudo mount /home/pi/nas
    and test by rebooting 'sudo reboot' that the NAS is automatically remounted."

This means that whenever your Pi is reboot, it remounts the nfs share on the NAS unit, without intervention.
    Asset will then reindex and sort itself out.

See how that goes for you.
    Simon.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Simon:

I understand how this will work. Let me be more specific in my question. As you can see below, you had suggested that I use a "-t nfs " at the beginning of the mount command that ultimately worked.

Attachment 1461

Do I need to include this in the command I write that will remount the server with a reboot?

Aaron

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

ok
    $ sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.1.152:/nfs/Music /home/pi/nas

Is the mount syntax from the command line, the -t tells the mount function to use type nfs as the technology to make the remote connection between the storage system at 192.168.1.152:/nfs/Music and make it available on the local filesystem at /home/pi/nas

The fstab entry, saids the that when you call the function

$ mount /home/pi/nas

it is connected with the parameters contained in the entry

192.168.1.152:/nfs/Music /home/pi/nas nfs ro 0 0

which connects using nfs in a read-only configuration between the remote location at 192.168.1.152:/nfs/Music with the local location /home/pi/nas

I was suggesting using the mount command on the command line to debug the syntax of the remote location.

The advantage of using the fstab entry and the mount command in the crontab entry, is that the mount is made at reboot time.
    You could just put the "@reboot sudo mount -t nfs 192.168.1.152:/nfs/Music /home/pi/nas" line in the crontab.

Simon.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Thanks. This is very helpful.

One other question....now that I am up and running, I have a fairly large number of compilation albums where I have listed the artist as "Various Artists".. With the first scan, they all appeared under the "V" section of artists/albums. I rescanned the library to update everything and now only two albums appear. I suspect this has something to do with configuring Asset, but not sure where to look. Can you help?

Thanks again

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Are they marked as Complilations with the 'Compilation' flag set to true?
    If so, look under Complilations, which is a separate folder in the tree structure.

Otherwise the rest is down to Configuration settings in Asset, plus how you have tagged your tracks.
    Have you used an Album Artist, in addition to Artist?

This is my heavily customised configuration

IMG_0106.jpg

You can also find my Tree library in the Shared folder, along with some customised icons for the folders.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Simon:

Working on addressing the various artists/compilation issue. However, I have a new problem. Since installing the Raspberry pi and getting the Asset UPnP up and running, I find that using the Naim app via our iPAD, I can't get music to play! The Naim player is present on the network and is seen by the WD server, but when I select play on the Naim app or device, I get an error message that it can't play the music or skips the track. I have tried using the Twonky media server in the WD server and it plays music fine, although it only sees a fraction of the library (in contrast to Asset via the Raspberry). In addition, iRadio via the Naim app also works fines. So I think it has something to do with the Raspberry. Any ideas???
    Last edited by ASF; 08-11-2017 at 04:43 PM.