title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Thread: Raspberry Newbie needs help

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Raspberry Newbie needs help

Greetings all:

I used to have a WD Sentinel on which I had installed Asset uPnP. The system worked well but the LCD ultimately failed, prompting me to upgrade to a MyCloud when WD offered a substantial discount since they could not replace the Sentinel. I have replicated the music files, but am now learning to live with Twonky, which I find subpar compared to Asset uPnP. I have opted to go to a Raspberry Pi as a means to once again be able to use Asset.

I have followed Spoon's directions but have encountered two major problems (Please remember I am not terribly familiar with Raspberry):
    1) Once I have Asset up and running, I find that when I turn off the Raspberry, Asset is no longer there or will not restart. Do I need to save the configuration I have created or do something else?
    2) I am having trouble mounting the WD server so that asset will look towards it for my music library. I got to the line about "sudo nano /etc/fstab" which opened what appeared to be a file editor. When I then tried to add the next line as per Spoon's instructions (using my server's device name), the Raspberry crashed and I had to start over.

I suspect my questions reflect my unfamiliarity with the Raspberry, but I'd sure appreciate any help.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Raspberry Newbie needs help

Update:

I have started anew and this time I was able to find Asset UPnP in the "Asset" folder. I was able to take avail of Spoon's directions to have Asset auto start with everyone reboot of my Raspberry. I then accessed the device via SSH and added a line to the fstab file. The line I added reads as follows: "//192.168.1.152/music /home/pi/nas cifs username=admin,password=*********,_netdev,sec=ntlm 0 0" (note I don't think a guest account can be setup). I have rechecked the file and the line is there. In addition, I have confirmed that the IP address is correct as is the name of the share. Yet when I reboot, Asset UPnP is still not seeing my server.

Any help would be appreciated.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Try this Configuration Guide https://www.dropbox.com/s/kk7ht4zzvd...%20Pi.pdf?dl=0

I originally wrote it when Asset R4 was ported to the RaspberryPi, and I was running it on an original Model B.

I also have some 'Advanced configuration settings and Icon Library' in https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bu8etep76...T2uato_Ha?dl=0 that work with R6 - see my posts on this forum both in the Asset folder, but also against each of the Beta releases for R4, R5 and now R6.

If there is renewed interest I will update the Configuration Guide, but it should get you going with a setup, and allow you to mount a remote drive, over CIFS.

Thanks,
    Simon.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Simon:

Thanks so much for your reply. As described in my second post, I think the line I added looks correct. It is displayed when I open the fstab file. Despite this, when I just accessed the Raspberry, I found the following:

sudo mount home/pi/nas
    mount: can't find home/pi/nas in /etc/fstab

I am not sure what to do this point, but clearly, I did something wrong in editing the fstab file.

Can you help?

Thanks

Aaron

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Also, when I use the virtual viewer, I am able to see files and directories. Despite my post above, I DO see a folder entitled /home/pi/nas. Properties indicate that everyone can view, change, and access content. I also edited the line I added to the fstab file, changing from the Administrator login to my personal login. This didn't make a difference.

Aaron
    Last edited by ASF; 08-06-2017 at 04:25 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Try //192.168.1.152/music /home/pi/nas cifs ro,guest,_netdev,sec=ntlmv2 0 0

Check that you have permissions to mount the directory on 192.168.1.152
    When it mounts you should be able to SSH to /home/pi/nas and ls -al the music directory that is on the 192.168.1.152

All the best,
    Simon

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

You could also be mounting at the wrong level.

My watched folder, in Asset configure is /home/pi/nas/Music, i.e. I mounting my NAS folder at one level above the Music folder.

Simon