title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Raspberry Newbie needs help

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Raspberry Newbie needs help

Greetings all:

I used to have a WD Sentinel on which I had installed Asset uPnP. The system worked well but the LCD ultimately failed, prompting me to upgrade to a MyCloud when WD offered a substantial discount since they could not replace the Sentinel. I have replicated the music files, but am now learning to live with Twonky, which I find subpar compared to Asset uPnP. I have opted to go to a Raspberry Pi as a means to once again be able to use Asset.

I have followed Spoon's directions but have encountered two major problems (Please remember I am not terribly familiar with Raspberry):
    1) Once I have Asset up and running, I find that when I turn off the Raspberry, Asset is no longer there or will not restart. Do I need to save the configuration I have created or do something else?
    2) I am having trouble mounting the WD server so that asset will look towards it for my music library. I got to the line about "sudo nano /etc/fstab" which opened what appeared to be a file editor. When I then tried to add the next line as per Spoon's instructions (using my server's device name), the Raspberry crashed and I had to start over.

I suspect my questions reflect my unfamiliarity with the Raspberry, but I'd sure appreciate any help.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Re: Raspberry Newbie needs help

Update:

I have started anew and this time I was able to find Asset UPnP in the "Asset" folder. I was able to take avail of Spoon's directions to have Asset auto start with everyone reboot of my Raspberry. I then accessed the device via SSH and added a line to the fstab file. The line I added reads as follows: "//192.168.1.152/music /home/pi/nas cifs username=admin,password=*********,_netdev,sec=ntlm 0 0" (note I don't think a guest account can be setup). I have rechecked the file and the line is there. In addition, I have confirmed that the IP address is correct as is the name of the share. Yet when I reboot, Asset UPnP is still not seeing my server.

Any help would be appreciated.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Try this Configuration Guide https://www.dropbox.com/s/kk7ht4zzvd...%20Pi.pdf?dl=0

I originally wrote it when Asset R4 was ported to the RaspberryPi, and I was running it on an original Model B.

I also have some 'Advanced configuration settings and Icon Library' in https://www.dropbox.com/sh/bu8etep76...T2uato_Ha?dl=0 that work with R6 - see my posts on this forum both in the Asset folder, but also against each of the Beta releases for R4, R5 and now R6.

If there is renewed interest I will update the Configuration Guide, but it should get you going with a setup, and allow you to mount a remote drive, over CIFS.

Thanks,
    Simon.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Simon:

Thanks so much for your reply. As described in my second post, I think the line I added looks correct. It is displayed when I open the fstab file. Despite this, when I just accessed the Raspberry, I found the following:

sudo mount home/pi/nas
    mount: can't find home/pi/nas in /etc/fstab

I am not sure what to do this point, but clearly, I did something wrong in editing the fstab file.

Can you help?

Thanks

Aaron

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Also, when I use the virtual viewer, I am able to see files and directories. Despite my post above, I DO see a folder entitled /home/pi/nas. Properties indicate that everyone can view, change, and access content. I also edited the line I added to the fstab file, changing from the Administrator login to my personal login. This didn't make a difference.

Aaron
    Last edited by ASF; 08-06-2017 at 05:25 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Try //192.168.1.152/music /home/pi/nas cifs ro,guest,_netdev,sec=ntlmv2 0 0

Check that you have permissions to mount the directory on 192.168.1.152
    When it mounts you should be able to SSH to /home/pi/nas and ls -al the music directory that is on the 192.168.1.152

All the best,
    Simon

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

You could also be mounting at the wrong level.

My watched folder, in Asset configure is /home/pi/nas/Music, i.e. I mounting my NAS folder at one level above the Music folder.

Simon

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I was wondering about whether I had added the line incorrectly. Here's a snip of the nano image:

Attachment 1418

I am not sure how to assess the permissions to mount the directory. I have administrative access, but I will check further. Let me know if the image looks OK.

Thanks

Aaron

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

//192.168.1.152/music /home/pi/nas cifs ro,guest,_netdev,sec=ntlmv2 0 0

ntlmv2 is needed by the latest kernel I believe

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I don't have a guest account setup. To be honest, I am not sure if that's possible with this server. In lieu of guest, can I use my ID and my password separated by a comma?

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Simon:

I added "v2" after ntlm and turned on NFS (is this necessary?). Still no luck. The other thing I noticed was the "ro" after cifs which I just learned means "read only". I added that also it didn't make a difference. I'll keep trying; I sure appreciate your help.

Thanks

Aaron
    Last edited by ASF; 08-06-2017 at 09:47 PM.

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Then let's try a NFS mount, this is my entry from /etc/fstab

192.168.0.3:/media /home/pi/nas nfs ro 0 0

I moved to a NFS mount, but still have the CIFS entry commented out, as backup in case I need to return to CIFS (but it did work successfully).

However you still need to consider where on the target you are mounting to.

I mount to the Media share on my ReadyNAS NAS, for which NFS/CIFS access has been setup and permissions granted, as in the Configuration Guide. After I have mounted the Share, I can then remote 'see' the directory structure from a SSH session on the RaspberryPI. Once you have that, you can set the Watch folders in Asset and it will scan and index as if they were local folders on a physically attached drive.

Setting up Asset on a RaspberryPi back to a NAS does require some UNIX skills & knowlege. Have you reviewed the Configuration Guide?

Simon

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I just checked and I was incorrect; I had turned NFS off. Despite this, Asset is on, but is not seeing any media. I will turn NFS on and try using your NFS-based statement.

I set up a folder called "Music". It has subfolders called "WAV" and "MP3" which contain the all of our albums in the respective formats. I have set up a share also called "music". This setup does work with Twonky that is provided with the server. In the statement for /etc/fstab, am I correct in targeting "Music" i.e. the name of the share or should I try "IP address or device name/music/wav" i.e.the specific name of the folder?

I reviewed the configuration guide but will look it over again

Aaron

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Simon:

I had not pursued the ifconfig steps you describe in the configuration guide, so I thought I'd check them out. I would note that I have consistently been able to access Asset UPnP just by double clicking on it where it appears under the Media devices on my network tab on my desktop. I did note that my interface is set to eth0 inet manual and not DHCP. Is this the same as a static IP address? The broadcast and mask numbers are exactly the same as in the guide, as are the Gateway and Destination numbers. IP address is consistent with the one in the line I added to /etc/fstab.

Aaron

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

Simon:

I think I have some positive news. I accessed the share options for my music server. When I turned on NFS the "configure>>" tab turned blue. When I clicked on it and let it run, the following screen appeared:

Attachment 1419

As you can see, this is the IP address of my Raspberry. I then closed the configuration screen and saw a "Mount Address" for the music server as you can see below:

Attachment 1420

I changed the line in the /etc/fstab file to read as follows: "//192.168.1.152/nfs/Music /home/pi/nas nfs ro 0 0". This didn't work, but I did notice the differences in syntax structure between what I had written and the syntax you used in your example (colon after IP address and absence of "//" at beginning of IP address. I then changed the line in fstab again to read:

"nfs://192.168.1.152/nfs/Music /home/pi/nas nfs ro 0 0".

Unfortunately, as you can see, the server is still not mounted, but I think we are getting close! Any suggestions about what I should try next?

Attachment 1421

Thanks

Aaron
    Last edited by ASF; 08-07-2017 at 09:53 AM.