title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central
 
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 82

Thread: RE: 'Amazon Fire' as a Music Player?

  1. #16
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Question Re: 'Amazon Fire' as a Music Player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Have a look on a Sony site, to see what works and is recommended. As usual, players handle external devices differently. Yes, I'm sure it is possible to get an improvement.

    Secondly, the first answer applies. I have no experience of what works with the Sony, and what the Sony will pass to an USB external device.

    USB aren't all universal, these days!
    Thanks Oggy,

    I can ask Sony when they get off their back sides and call me!

    I am not sure if it's a case of outsourcing, but their call centres are now in Egypt.

    I am justifiably reluctant to give them more money, but we will have to see.

    Paul

  2. #17
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,637

    Re: 'Amazon Fire' as a Music Player?

    Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Seems to be the course, a few owners are taking. Obviously you shouldn't be forced down this route, but for owners who use headphones a lot, an improvement in sound quality, along with volume, would be welcome.

    I totally agree that this is the best solution, giving a sonic boost. Because it adds, cost and the need to keep another box charged, I didn't suggest it.

    Hopefully, Sony can resolve the software restriction, so Paul isn't forced into an additional purchase, but has the free choice, of an upgrade, in the future.
    I was suggesting looking into a DAC, with a mobile device instead of, not as well as the Sony Walkman.

  3. #18
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,637

    Re: 'Amazon Fire' as a Music Player?

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    But will such a 'DAC' device actually (magically!) IMPROVE the quality of the sound/audio, please? Or is it a case of: you can't polish a turd?!
    Not sure I understand the magically bit, but if you use higher quality DACs in any system the sound quality will improve. It just depends on which DAC you are using.

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Secondly - and without wishing to preempt a future thread I plan to post - if you purchase d/l FLAC files of albums which are '24 bit / 196 kHz' (this format does exist for a small hand of iconic albums - I am sure you know), then will the portable headphone amp need to be able to cater for this sample/bit-rate? Or is the device not like a 'soundcard' and therefore much more basic, please?
    Again, it depends on the DAC you use.

  4. #19
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Question Re: 'Amazon Fire' as a Music Player?

    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    I was suggesting looking into a DAC, with a mobile device instead of, not as well as the Sony Walkman.
    Hi Mville,

    When you say 'mobile' device, do you mean a mobile phone, or any hand held music player, please?

    Perhaps using the 'dac' to enhance the audio of the Amazon Fire HD8?

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-07-2017 at 08:07 PM. Reason: spelling

  5. #20
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Question Re: 'Amazon Fire' as a Music Player?

    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Not sure I understand the magically bit, but if you use higher quality DACs in any system the sound quality will improve. It just depends on which DAC you are using.

    Again, it depends on the DAC you use.
    Mville,

    Do you think I could get something adequate for under 100, please?

    Paul

  6. #21
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,637

    Re: 'Amazon Fire' as a Music Player?

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    When you say 'mobile' device, do you mean a mobile phone, or any hand held music player, please?

    Perhaps using the 'dac' to enhance the audio of the Amazon Fire HD8?
    I mean mobile phone or tablet (apple or android).

  7. #22
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Re: 'Amazon Fire' as a Music Player?

    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    I mean mobile phone or tablet (apple or android).
    OK, cheers Mville,

    It's an Amazon Fire tablet.

  8. #23
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,637

    Re: 'Amazon Fire' as a Music Player?

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Do you think I could get something adequate for under 100, please?
    Yes, but get ready for another steep learning curve.

    You'll have to do your homework. It is not straight forward as not all portable DACs work with all mobile devices. I suggest you google and see what the audiophiles at currently using and how they setup, i.e. what player software and DAC combinations are known to work successfully on which devices.

    FYI, I have an Audioquest Dragonfly Red (RRP 169) which I picked up for 88 on ebay.

    The Dragonfly Red supports up to 24-bit, 96kHz and out performs the DACs in my OPPO Blu-ray player, which cost me 900. Both use ESS Technology DACs.

    I plug the Dragonfly Red (USB) into the home theatre/backup server I built, using an HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T running Windows 10 Pro, with an SSD, 4 x 4GB HDDs, a cheap HDMI graphics card for watching movies and the Dragonfly Red for listening to my flac audio library, using foobar2k controlled from a tablet. This all connects to my surround sound setup.

    I am now looking to get a Dragonfly Black (RRP 89, cheap on ebay) for use with a mobile phone, to replace my iPod Classic.
    Last edited by mville; 08-07-2017 at 09:04 PM. Reason: added extra info

  9. #24
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,637

    Re: 'Amazon Fire' as a Music Player?

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Or is the device not like a 'soundcard' and therefore much more basic, please?
    If you are serious about PC audio, then a DAC or external USB soundcard/unit is preferable as these are isolated from the motherboard (not subject to interference from the motherboard) and are usually superior in sound quality.

  10. #25
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Question Re: 'Amazon Fire' as a Music Player?

    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    You'll have to do your homework. It is not straight forward as not all portable DACs work with all mobile devices. I suggest you google and see what the audiophiles at currently using and how they setup, i.e. what player software and DAC combinations are known to work successfully on which devices.

    FYI, I have an Audioquest Dragonfly Red (RRP 169) which I picked up for 88 on ebay.

    The Dragonfly Red supports up to 24-bit, 96kHz and out performs the DACs in my OPPO Blu-ray player, which cost me 900. Both use ESS Technology DACs.

    I plug the Dragonfly Red (USB) into the home theatre/backup server I built, using an HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T running Windows 10 Pro, with an SSD, 4 x 4GB HDDs, a cheap HDMI graphics card for watching movies and the Dragonfly Red for listening to my flac audio library, using foobar2k controlled from a tablet. This all connects to my surround sound setup.

    I am now looking to get a Dragonfly Black (RRP 89, cheap on ebay) for use with a mobile phone, to replace my iPod Classic.
    Cheers Mville,

    Well we will have to see what comes out in the wash. Sony are calling me on Thursday now as my case has been escalated again.

    I would only be needing the 'dac' exclusively for listening to music on the Sony Walkman or portable device. While I would not be requiring a multi complex set up like you have in your home, I would preferably want '24 bit / 192 kHz' because I intend to purchase this format - from d/l music stores - once I am fully up and running.

    Paul

  11. #26
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Question Re: 'Amazon Fire' as a Music Player?

    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    If you are serious about PC audio, then a DAC or external USB soundcard/unit is preferable as these are isolated from the motherboard (not subject to interference from the motherboard) and are usually superior in sound quality.
    Hi,

    Well, I actually should have mentioned that I do in fact have an external soundcard. I bought it four years ago alongside Steinberg Cubase VST. Its basic but its ok. My studio is not professional. But I use it to connect to my reference speakers and also to play a keyboard through. It has a quarter-inch jack headphone output also. Its called the 'CI2+'.

    But its too big to cart around and I certainly don't want to be unplugging it all the time.

    Yes, the Windows m/b and drivers are inadequate!

    Thanks.
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-07-2017 at 09:24 PM. Reason: spelling

  12. #27
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    3,637

    Re: 'Amazon Fire' as a Music Player?

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    I would preferably want '24 bit / 192 kHz' because I intend to purchase this format - from d/l music stores - once I am fully up and running.
    I doubt anyone can hear the difference between 192kHz and 96kHz hi-res audio files, especially under headphones.

    I have hi-res flacs in my set-up. Foobar2000 is configured to downsample 176.4kHz to 88.2kHz and 192kHz to 96kHz, so this is not a problem.

  13. #28
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Re: 'Amazon Fire' as a Music Player?

    Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    I doubt anyone can hear the difference between 192kHz and 96kHz hi-res audio files, especially under headphones.

    I have hi-res flacs in my set-up. Foobar2000 is configured to downsample 176.4kHz to 88.2kHz and 192kHz to 96kHz, so this is not a problem.
    Well yes, one's hearing threshold is always good fodder for debate!

    I will be starting a 'listening' thread over the next month or so, and hopefully it will attract some interest.

  14. #29
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Jul 2017
    Location
    Wirral, UK
    Posts
    1,660

    Re: 'Amazon Fire' as a Music Player?

    Hi,

    Now that Amazon are refunding me for the faulty Sony Walkman, I have ordered an 'Amazon Fire HD8' as a replacement.

    Thanks,

    Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-01-2017 at 11:10 AM. Reason: spelling

  15. #30
    dBpoweramp Guru
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    England
    Posts
    638

    Re: 'Amazon Fire' as a Music Player?

    Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi,

    Now that Amazon are refunding me for the faulty Sony Walkman, I have ordered an 'Amazon Fire HD8' as a replacement.

    Thanks,

    Paul
    Pleased that the Sony saga is over. Hope the Fire gives you reliable, and loud(!), music playback.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •