title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RE: 'Amazon Fire' as a Music Player?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • monsterjazzlick
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Jul 2017

Re: 'Amazon Fire' as a Music Player?

Originally posted by Oggy
    Pleased that the Sony saga is over. Hope the Fire gives you reliable, and loud(!), music playback.
    Thanks, well it's half the price and can do so much more. Sony seem to have gone down the pan. Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Jul 2017

Hi,

Amazon Fire HD has arrived. It's nice a big so the display is far superior to the tiny Sony GUI.

I have only listened to You Tube quickly on it and the volume seemed to be fine.

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Jul 2017

Hi,

I have installed 'VLC' player onto the Amazon Fire. This is one of the recommended s/w music player apps. Unfortunately 'Foobar' is not available. However, it will give me a chance to test how my tagging is responded to on two different players.

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Jul 2017

Hi,

The FLAC files on the SanDisk SD card open and play fine on the Amazon Fire. The search engine is not a patch on Foobar though.

The volume through the internal speakers is somewhat weak-ish. But when listening through headphones, the volume is fine for the FLACS and You Tube etc.

Cheers,

Paul

Comment

• Oggy
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Apr 2015

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
            Hi,

The FLAC files on the SanDisk SD card open and play fine on the Amazon Fire. The search engine is not a patch on Foobar though.

The volume through the internal speakers is somewhat weak-ish. But when listening through headphones, the volume is fine for the FLACS and You Tube etc.

Cheers,

Paul
            Excellent!

Comment

• Oggy
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Apr 2015

Hi,

I have installed 'VLC' player onto the Amazon Fire. This is one of the recommended s/w music player apps. Unfortunately 'Foobar' is not available. However, it will give me a chance to test how my tagging is responded to on two different players.

Paul
              Is a foobar2000 APK available, which could work on the Amazon Fire?

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Jul 2017

Is a foobar2000 APK available, which could work on the Amazon Fire?
                Oggy, Cheers. I will have a look. Though I was told that if an app does not appear in the Amazon App Store than it is not possible. Thanks, Paul

EDIT: Here's the LINK:

Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-15-2017, 07:20 PM. Reason: LINK

Comment

• Oggy
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Apr 2015

Oggy, Cheers. I will have a look. Though I was told that if an app does not appear in the Amazon App Store than it is not possible. Thanks, Paul

EDIT: Here's the LINK:

http://apk4kindle.com/Download_fooba...on-Kindle.html
                  Hi Paul,

Think that's the wrong app. Try https://www.foobar2000.org/apk

It is possible, but Amazon certainly don't encourage it!

Don’t know how to install APK files on Amazon Fire devices? Learn the top methods of APK file installation that anyone can apply.
                  Last edited by Oggy; 10-15-2017, 09:13 PM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Jul 2017

Hi Paul,

Think that's the wrong app. Try https://www.foobar2000.org/apk

It is possible, but Amazon certainly don't encourage it!

https://www.technipages.com/kindle-f...tall-apk-files
                    Oggy,

Oh dear, thanks for the warning. I don't think I am going to risk it! VLC seems to be fine for what I need it for.

Cheers,

Paul

Comment

• Oggy
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2015

Oggy,

Oh dear, thanks for the warning. I don't think I am going to risk it! VLC seems to be fine for what I need it for.

Cheers,

Paul
                      Hi Paul,

All Android devices are the same, where you have the opportunity to accept, third party apps from unknown source. Even on my tablet, which has Google play store, I have a couple, so have taken the "risk,". Obviously you use common sense, which is why I suggested the official Foobar site.

Apps not downloaded through either Amazon or Google, will not be offered updates, though obviously you can download a newer version, the same method.

However, if VLC is giving you what you want, then it makes sense to not take the risk, and VLC does seem to get updates.

Regards,

Oggy
                      Last edited by Oggy; 10-16-2017, 04:35 AM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Jul 2017

All Android devices are the same, where you have the opportunity to accept, third party apps from unknown source. Even on my tablet, which has Google play store, I have a couple, so have taken the "risk,". Obviously you use common sense, which is why I suggested the official Foobar site.

Apps not downloaded through either Amazon or Google, will not be offered updates, though obviously you can download a newer version, the same method.

However, if VLC is giving you what you want, then it makes sense to not take the risk, and VLC does seem to get updates.
                        Oggy,

Although I prefer Foobar, VLC is OK at the moment on my Amazon Fire. As my library becomes more complex and complex over time, I dare say my opinion may sway.

I am about 25% through my ripping; but have not ripped a single CD in a week because I have been tidying up my tagging methods (as per previous questions).

Cheers,

Paul

Comment

• Oggy
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Apr 2015

Oggy,

Although I prefer Foobar, VLC is OK at the moment on my Amazon Fire. As my library becomes more complex and complex over time, I dare say my opinion may sway.

I am about 25% through my ripping; but have not ripped a single CD in a week because I have been tidying up my tagging methods (as per previous questions).

Cheers,

Paul
                          Absolutely fair enough.

Personally, I would be happy to download the APK from Foobar, as a trusted source, but if VLC plays your files OK, then you don't need to make that decision, and take the "risk".

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Jul 2017

Hi,

After 9 months of ripping (and still not finished!), I actually sat down to listen to a substantial amount of music last week using 'VLC' player via my Amazon Fire tablet.

BIG PROBLEM! And I am assuming the issue lies with 'VLC' and not the Fire 'HD8':

If you play an album in which all of the tracks are track-marked, but segue, then the player fumbles at the start/end of each track (sounding akin to a corrupted-file). An example of this is for 'live' concert CDs where the music and applause is continuous . Instead, the smooth transition is ruined by it jumping for 1 or 2 seconds, before resuming normal playing. Another example are studio recordings where different tracks form an overall 'medley'. For instance, "Miles Davis On The Corner" was a 2 sided vinyl in which each side was a 'medley' (so that each song runs into the next track without any gap). Again, the results are the same as the 'live' concert playbacks.

I have phoned Amazon every day since Saturday and they keep telling me they are looking into it...

Cheers,

Paul

Comment

• garym
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Nov 2007

I assume these albums play just fine using foobar2000. If so, the files are OK. I suspect VLC is not handling gapless very well. Does VLC seem ok when playing albums that are NOT gapless.

p.s. Perhaps it is much improved, but a few years ago I tried VLC and found it to be a terrible music player. I do use it for videos on my computers.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Jul 2017

Garym,

All CDs fly like a bird in foobar! In 9 months, I only had one skip which was when Windoze was performing one of it's colossal OS updates/installations.

At the weekend I tried some of the continuous-type CDs (eg. "Miles On The Corner") in foobar and they all played totally fine. And vice versa, I tried CDs with 'gaps' on 'VLC' and they also played fine.

I had not heard of the term 'gapless' before.

Thanks,

Paul

Comment

Working...

]]>