title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

DSF batch conversion to 96 or 88.2 kHz ?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • awesome
    • Aug 2017

DSF batch conversion to 96 or 88.2 kHz ?

As I'm fairly new in ripping my SACD's to DSF and then converting them to FLAC, I read that I should stick to 88.2 kHz and not 96 kHz when doing this.
    A) Is this correct?
    B) If so, can this be done with dbPoweramp? How should I go about this?
  • Spoon
    Administrator
    • Apr 2002

Re: DSF batch conversion to 96 or 88.2 kHz ?

A) No, DSF to Flac goes through a frequency transformation, there is no benefit of 88KHz over 96KHz.

The codec advanced options section allow the final frequency for DSF conversions to be set (dBpoweramp control centre >> advanced codec settings).
    Spoon
    www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

• mville
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Dec 2008

Originally posted by awesome
      As I'm fairly new in ripping my SACD's to DSF and then converting them to FLAC, I read that I should stick to 88.2 kHz and not 96 kHz when doing this.
      Are you aware that you can't rip the hi-res layer of an SACD with dBpoweramp and only the CD layer (16-bit, 44.1kHz), if the SACD is a hybrid SACD?

Comment

• awesome
        • Aug 2017

Originally posted by mville
        Are you aware that you can't rip the hi-res layer of an SACD with dBpoweramp and only the CD layer (16-bit, 44.1kHz), if the SACD is a hybrid SACD?
        Yes, I'm aware. I'm ripping from my Oppo BDP-103

Comment

• awesome
          • Aug 2017

Originally posted by mville
          Found this in another forum:

The sample rate of SACD is 2.8224 MHz which is evenly divisible by 44.1K, 88.2, 176.4, 352.8, etc. The conversion math is simple. Converting to rates that are not even divisors is messy.

So I chose 88.2

Comment

• Spoon
            Administrator
            • Apr 2002

This is flawed information, if you had a CD track which was 44KHz you would not simply convert to 22KHz because it was half the value (by skipping values or averaging 2 values) as this would create horrible aliasing of the signal.

dBpoweramp has a high quality resampler which does not introduce audible aliasing. See:

There is a page which tests all the latest resamplers against each other: http://src.infinitewave.ca/ dBpoweramp is listed, along with other popular resamplers. To interpret the results, a single line with no red / blue lines behind is the highest quality that can be expected, dBpoweramps result is a single line. Compare
            Spoon
            www.dbpoweramp.com

Comment

Working...

]]>