title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: RE: Windows Media Player vs. Foobar/dBpa/VLC/Groove-Music

dBpoweramp Guru

Question RE: Windows Media Player vs. Foobar/dBpa/VLC/Groove-Music

Hi folks,

I did not want to hijack someone else's thread which is similar (though running a bit dry). Hence I have started this fresh one.

I originally ripped my CD collection to mp3 format. For playing such files on my PC (Win_10), I have used 'Windows Media Player' exclusively. 'WMP' was also used to rip my CD collection. I soon came to realize that 'WMP' has produced a multitude of glitches during the ripping process as well as skipping during playback (I may as well have kept my scratched vinyl collection!).

I have recently purchased 'dBpa' and also 'Perfect Tunes', and am in the process of re-ripping everything again - as FLAC. I am not sure if I am going to rip absolutely everything again (though I may well do).

I started using 'Groove Music' (please see attach.) to play my handful of newly ripped FLACs and also some mp3s (mp3's?) now and again. 'Groove Music' certainly is way more stable than 'WMP'; but some of the mp3's still jump because the initial 'WMP' ripping process was inferior.

I wondered, please, which player people use on their PC to playback mp3/Wav/FLAC files? I noticed one mentioned called 'Foobar', which I had not heard of before. I have used 'VLC' breifly in the past (on my old 'Win_XP' PC), but I seem to remember it taking over and changing all of my desktop icons etc to orange traffic cones! Maybe it came alongside bloatware?

Many thanks in advance for any kind assistance offered here.

Best,

Paul

GM.jpg

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Windows Media Player vs. Foobar/dBpa/VLC/Groove-Music

I use foobar2000 to play FLAC and mp3. Works well "out of the box," but highly customizable if you want to go there; well-supported; and free.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    I use foobar2000 to play FLAC and mp3. Works well "out of the box," but highly customizable if you want to go there; well-supported; and free.
    Cheers JH,

You find it better than VLC and Groove-Music?

Is there bloatware and does it try to change your toolbar and search-engine etc? I am assuming not otherwise you wouldn't be recommending it! Or do you have to run the 'Custom Install'. I ask because naturally I am sometimes dubious of s/w which is FREE!

Do you never consider using 'dBpa' as a player for your music files?

Many thanks,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Dbpa is not a player. Foobar2000 is the go to player for many serious digital music users. I wouldn't let WMP touch my files. It's practically a virus given the stuff it does to your files without permission.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    Dbpa is not a player. Foobar2000 is the go to player for many serious digital music users. I wouldn't let WMP touch my files. It's practically a virus given the stuff it does to your files without permission.
    Hi Gary,

Ha ha ...

Would you uninstall 'WMA' from a PC?

Is 'Foobar' easy to install?

In 'dBpa' there is a player (ie. on the lower left toolbar within the 'CD Ripper' page). But perhaps this is meant to be a simple means of testing the CD you are ripping?

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-02-2017 at 06:51 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi Gary,

Ha ha ...

Would you uninstall 'WMA' from a PC?

Is 'Foobar' easy to install?

In 'dBpa' there is a player (ie. on the lower left toolbar within the 'CD Ripper' page). But perhaps this is meant to be a simple means of testing the CD you are ripping?

Paul
    I haven't let WMP complete its setup on any of the four windows machines I use. Foobar2000 easy to install, but a bit of a learning curve.

dBpoweramp Guru

I haven't let WMP complete its setup on any of the four windows machines I use. Foobar2000 easy to install, but a bit of a learning curve.
    Cheers Gary,

I'll uninstall 'WMP' in the morning!

Is the 'Foobar' forum as friendly as this one, would you know?

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Cheers Gary,

I'll uninstall 'WMP' in the morning!

Is the 'Foobar' forum as friendly as this one, would you know?

Paul
    I post there some. No not as friendly. Hydrogenaud.io is almost the only general digital music forum I trust. But they are pretty serious and fully expect you've done your homework.

dBpoweramp Guru

I post there some. No not as friendly. Hydrogenaud.io is almost the only general digital music forum I trust. But they are pretty serious and fully expect you've done your homework.
    Gary,

I stopped posting on the Steinberg Cubase forum cause it got so clicky and opinionated. I posted a couple of threads not so long ago and didn't get one reply. Most of the decent people have jumped ship - moving over to Reaper.

I only want a music player on my PC purely to listen to my CD collection - soon to be ripped to FLAC; and maybe to create some playlists.

Just joined Hydrogenaud.io

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-02-2017 at 08:04 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Gary,

I stopped posting on the Steinberg Cubase forum cause it got so clicky and opinionated. I posted a couple of threads not so long ago and didn't get one reply. Most of the decent people have jumped ship - moving over to Reaper.

I only want a music player on my PC purely to listen to my CD collection - soon to be ripped to FLAC; and maybe to create some playlists.

Just joined Hydrogenaud.io

Paul
    Im traveling in California for business until mid next week. Afterwards, I'll send you some files and simple insructions for setting up foobar2000 the way I use.

dBpoweramp Guru

Im traveling in California for business until mid next week. Afterwards, I'll send you some files and simple insructions for setting up foobar2000 the way I use.
    That's great man. Nice one dude.

We are going on a family holiday next year to Florida! Near to Tampa.

Paul
    Last edited by Spoon; 08-03-2017 at 09:07 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Cheers JH,

You find it better than VLC and Groove-Music?
    I've only used VLC for music. Groove made the scene after I started using foobar2000, and I feel no need to try it as I've configured foobar to do exactly what I want.

Is there bloatware and does it try to change your toolbar and search-engine etc? I am assuming not otherwise you wouldn't be recommending it! Or do you have to run the 'Custom Install'. I ask because naturally I am sometimes dubious of s/w which is FREE!
    foobar is foobar, and nothing more. Just make sure you download from the official site at the link I provided.

As for changing things like the toolbar and search engine, VLC should also be downloaded from its official site. It's the only way to ensure a clean installer.

dBpoweramp Guru

I wouldn't let WMP touch my files. It's practically a virus given the stuff it does to your files without permission.
    Or the stuff it does to your files with permission. I configured WMP to do nothing but play files, and use it when checking downloads I might not want to add to my library.

dBpoweramp Guru

Sorry, but that's bad form. Giving away ripped files does nothing to support artists (and, at least in the US, is illegal). Anyone who needs FLAC files of a CD should buy and rip (and keep) their own copy.

Jailhouse
    Last edited by Spoon; 08-03-2017 at 09:07 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    Sorry, but that's bad form. Giving away ripped files does nothing to support artists (and, at least in the US, is illegal). Anyone who needs FLAC files of a CD should buy and rip (and keep) their own copy.

Jailhouse
    I stand corrected. Yes, that is wrong in hindsight. I wanted to offer Gary something in return and it seemed the obvious thing; it was very late last night and I don't put much thought into it. I agree, the artist should not be short changed on revenue.

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 08-03-2017 at 07:16 AM. Reason: spelling