title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 7 of 50 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Yes, Capitalize First, seems to be the same as Capitalize All, in CD Ripper. If you don't want anything in lower case, it works perfectly.
    Oggy.

Am going with 'Capitalize First'.

Thanks.

dBpoweramp Guru

Mia culpa, I meant to type Release Date. I'm not sure if that would show on Paul's Sony?

The lack of standardisation is somewhat surprising, as ripping and tagging isn't exactly new technology.
    Hi Oggy,

On my actual Sony device it appears as 'Release Year'. This reflects what I have typed into 'Date' within 'dBpa'; so in this case: '1968'.

As I said earlier, I can live with the just the original recording session date. Though I have typed in 'Remastered 2002' in the 'comments' field, just in case I change device in the future and this verbatim is recognized.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Hi again,

I have a question, please, regarding 'Composer'. This is something of which lacked on my previous Walkman, but I have noticed it appears to be included on the 'A-35' model.

In short, I would like to be able to type/save the 'Composer' for each respective track for a newly ripped CD. But I don't see whereabouts the field dedicated is to do so? (please see screenshot). Unless you have to (create) 'Add' one?

At the moment, all of the tracks (for this instance) are appearing under the composition of Miles Davis; but although he is the Leader and Album Artist, he is only partially responsible for the material.

Many thanks,

Paul

Comp.png
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-30-2017 at 09:34 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Oggy.

Am going with 'Capitalize First'.

Thanks.
    Yes, the only reasons I can think of for not doing this, is you don't get WYSIWYG on CD Ripper, and not being able to use any lower case, if you should want to.

dBpoweramp Guru

I have a question, please, regarding 'Composer'. This is something of which lacked on my previous Walkman, but I have noticed it appears to be included on the 'A-35' model.

In short, I would like to be able to type/save the 'Composer' for each respective track for a newly ripped CD. But I don't see whereabouts the field dedicated is to do so? (please see screenshot). Unless you have to (create) 'Add' one?

At the moment, all of the tracks (for this instance) are appearing under the composition of Miles Davis; but although he is the Leader and Album Artist, he is only partially responsible for the material.
    As well as the Review window, there is a Tags tab at the bottom/centre of the main CDRipper window, Here you can add/edit tags for single/multiple tracks. It is where I do most of my editing.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Oggy,

On my actual Sony device it appears as 'Release Year'. This reflects what I have typed into 'Date' within 'dBpa'; so in this case: '1968'.

As I said earlier, I can live with the just the original recording session date. Though I have typed in 'Remastered 2002' in the 'comments' field, just in case I change device in the future and this verbatim is recognized.

Paul
    Makes sense, and that would be my choice. Even though I don't display all the tags, the only one I delete, is Rating - I will never use it, or, grow to like it!

Even when I have three versions of a CD, eg The Beatles, 1987, 2009 Remaster and 2009 Mono, I have nothing in, Comments, and only have the original release date. I really don't think you are missing anything important.

On the white album, CD, I use:

Album The Beatles
    Album The Beatles [Remaster]
    Album The Beatles [Mono]

Because they are obvious, I don't feel the need for any comment, or the CD release date. I try to add as little as possible to the album name..

As I say, so much of this is personal choice, hopefully standard enough to work on all players and apps.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi again,

Many thanks,

Paul
    cd ripper options, ID tags and metadata. Tick the composer tag so that it is included when the info is available in the databases (or you can manually enter)

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi again,

Many thanks,

Paul

Comp.png
    In dBpoweramp CD Ripper, on the Review Metadata from Individual Providers (ALT +M) icon, tick the View Track-Artists, will bring up the Composer, for each track, if entered. Obviously you can manually enter this, if this important to you. If it has been entered by the Metadata Providers, they will be available for display as long as the Composer box is ticked.

You can always add tags and information later on.
    Last edited by Oggy; 07-30-2017 at 10:32 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

In dBpoweramp CD Ripper, on the Review Metadata from Individual Providers (ALT +M) icon, tick the View Track-Artists, will bring up the Composer, for each track, if entered. Obviously you can manually enter this, if this important to you. If it has been entered by the Metadata Providers, they will be available for display as long as the Composer box is ticked.

Sorted, man!

Is the convention - during instances where the Composition task was shared - to separate the 'names' via a semicolon, please?

(Please see screenshot).

Paul

Comp.png
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-30-2017 at 10:42 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Oggy,

Yes, 'Composer' is essential for my needs.

Now that I have made the correct amendments to the 'Composer' (ie. added: 'Gil Evans'), how do I 'SAVE' this, please?

(Please see screenshot).

I mean, I ripped the CD last night and so I am now trying to modify the meta-data after-the-fact. Obviously I don't want to have to re-rip the CD; but I can not locate where you 'overwrite' the old (incorrect) version, please?

As far as I can see, this is a job for 'dBpa' and not 'PerfTunes'.

Cheers man,

Paul

comp.png
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-30-2017 at 11:02 AM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Makes sense, and that would be my choice. Even though I don't display all the tags, the only one I delete, is Rating - I will never use it, or, grow to like it!

Because they are obvious, I don't feel the need for any comment, or the CD release date. I try to add as little as possible to the album name..
    Oggy,

Sounds like you got it all running to suit your wants and needs.

I have just killed the 'Rating' tag. There are probably many others I could lose also, like: 'Instrument', 'Period', 'Chorus'; wtf?! Do you think these can be lost, please? They are just bloat as far as I am concerned.

I would similarly never consider altering the actual 'Title' of an album. I think that would be a recipe for disaster.

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi Oggy,

Yes, 'Composer' is essential for my needs.

Now that I have made the correct amendments to the 'Composer' (ie. added: 'Gil Evans'), how do I 'SAVE' this, please?

(Please see screenshot).

I mean, I ripped the CD last night and so I am now trying to modify the meta-data after-the-fact. Obviously I don't want to have to re-rip the CD; but I can not locate where you 'overwrite' the old (incorrect) version, please?

As far as I can see, this is a job for 'dBpa' and not 'PerfTunes'.

Cheers man,

Paul

comp.png
    In this instance, I'd get a beer, coffee or whatever your tipple is, admire the neatly populated tags that you have achieved, and reflect on what was required to achieve this.

Press OK , which will be to the right of your screen shot. It it asks, do you want to overwrite file? Do it.

If not, delete the CD from it's location and,

re-rip the CD, with a smile on your face, as you enjoy your tipple, happy in a job well done.
    Last edited by Oggy; 07-30-2017 at 11:26 AM.

dBpoweramp Guru

Sorted, man!

Is the convention - during instances where the Composition task was shared - to separate the 'names' via a semicolon, please?

(Please see screenshot).

Paul

Comp.png
    Yes.

dBpoweramp Guru

Oggy,

Sounds like you got it all running to suit your wants and needs.

I have just killed the 'Rating' tag. There are probably many others I could lose also, like: 'Instrument', 'Period', 'Chorus'; wtf?! Do you think these can be lost, please? They are just bloat as far as I am concerned.

I would similarly never consider altering the actual 'Title' of an album. I think that would be a recipe for disaster.

Paul
    Well yes, my files display and play, in an expected way on my players and apps, and on my friends players and apps. You could make totally different choices, have different preferences and still have a very well organised library..

Those are more useful for tagging Classical, but some may or may not be useful, for naming additional musicians etc.

In my example, The Beatles [Remaster] you could equally name it:

The Beatles (White Album), 2009 Stereo Remaster, Disc One

or any variation on a name you choose. This is purely personal choice of how you see a album name, I simplify it, but without changing the actual album name. Others may well see things differently, but as as you can find and play the album, it really is personal preference.

With a little thought (I'm mostly copying how I display LPs, John Lennon next to Julian Lennon, in "Ls") and planning, hopefully we can all achieve the library we want.

Regards,

Oggy
    Last edited by Oggy; 07-30-2017 at 12:03 PM.

dBpoweramp Guru

In this instance, I'd get a beer, coffee or whatever your tipple is, admire the neatly populated tags that you have achieved, and reflect on what was required to achieve this.

Press OK , which will be to the right of your screen shot. It it asks, do you want to overwrite file? Do it.

If not, delete the CD from it's location and,

re-rip the CD, with a smile on your face, as you enjoy your tipple, happy in a job well done.
    Thanks for your unparalleled optimism Oggy,

My tipple is of the 'herbal' variety!

I'll be damned if I can locate the 'OK' button you kindly refer to? I see the one at the foot of the page (for 'applying' the changes within 'dBpa'), but nothing for RE-WRITING over the pre-ripped version (in 'My Music' folder)?

(Please see screenshot).

Perhaps my only option is to re-rip again? - which isn't the end of the world I suppose.

Paul

SAVE.png
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 07-30-2017 at 12:45 PM. Reason: spelling