title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 47 of 50 FirstFirst ... 374546474849 ... LastLast

Thread: RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    While I haven't run foobar on anything but Random mode this year.

P.S. Options!
    I don't even know where the 'Random' option is; so that shows how much I have used it!

dBpoweramp Guru

It probably won't be a surprise to you that my real suggestion would be to leave the album titles as they are. But changing the ALBUM tag would be rather easier than dealing with yet another tag.
    I will sleep on it and see how I feel ...

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    I don't even know where the 'Random' option is; so that shows how much I have used it!
    Just in case you really want to know: Playback > Order > Random

dBpoweramp Enthusiast

I hope everyone had a happy holiday, I did.

I've been away for a while, but I'm now I'm getting back to the job. I think the mistake I made in the beginning was that I was trying to understand dbpoweramp, particularly the naming string. At this point all I want to do I get on with it.

I believe I've come around to garym's view for the non-classical naming string and will try ripping accordingly (using the one he suggested for leading off with Genre, which I prefer).

From Garym *70
    [IFCOMP]Compilations\[genre]\[album] [IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title] - [artist][][IF!COMP][genre]\[IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI] \Disc [disc][]\[track] - [title][]

I've read through the forum posts for the third time and cataloged the various naming strings suggested. They vary somewhat, including some embellishments. Here are the two other strings suggested.

From Ripping Level Questions (help?) &*8211; Monsterjazzlick Post *43
    [IFCOMP]Compilations\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track]-[title]-[artist][][IF!COMP][IFVALUE]album artist,[album artist],[artist][]\[album][IFMULTI]\Disc [disc][]\[track]-[title][]

From Set-Up for Ripping -- schmidj Post *34
    [IFVALUE]album artist,[MAXLENGTH]25,[album artist][],[IFCOMP]Various Artists[][IF!COMP][MAXLENGTH]25,[artist][][][] - [album]\[track] - [MAXLENGTH]25,[artist][] - [MAXLENGTH]40,[title][]

It seems desirable to me to use a Naming string that handles Compilations and also limits the length of certain fields to prevent overruns (as well as begins with Genre). Putting that all together, what would be recommended?

As I proceed here are some additional questions:

1) What would be the Naming string for classical music that follows Genre with Composer and is otherwise comparable? I know garym and others have said that they don't do much classical and have indicate that they have not settled on a desired string, but I do need one that will do that job.

2) I post *57 Schmij suggested changing WMP to eliminate default options that changes metadata. That sounds like an excellent idea but I don't see how to do it. Internet instructions start with the WMP Tools pull down menu. I don't see Tool at all; can you help me?

Also, garym (post *84) suggested I turn off WMP auto update of tags/artwork? Likewise, I don't see "tools" at top of WMP screen.

3) When I set up Foobar2000 I see the list of my music files on the left pane, but only a single CD is listed. when I click on it I get:

Playback error:
    Unable to open item for playback (Object not found):
    "C:\Users\Donald\Music\Net\Test\Jazz\Woody Herman\This is Jazz, Vol. 24\01 - Woodchopper's Ball .flac"

When I click the Playback button, nothing happens
    Also, I did nothing to select the Woody Herman CD in the first place, ; it just appeared.

What's going on?

4) Oggy, on post *58, item 1 regarding foobar you suggest going to "browse." I don't find "browse." I'm on a PC, not an Android. Is that the difference? If so, how do I proceed?

5) Oggy, in post *163 you say that garym mentions he doesn't embed art on each track. That sounds good to me; one cover art should be sufficient for an album. However, I didn't know one could attach cover art to each track. What is this all about? What is the setting to choose either way? Is there a default?

Also you say: "Note, if you want Folder.jpg, or Cover.jpg, &*8230;. you need to uncheck both Disable Tag Writing AND Album Art, as per screenshot below, and set the appropriate, Write to [output folder]." Specifically, what are: Folder.jpg, or Cover.jpg? What should one do here?

6) The Naming string field and Profile field seem to not be connected (I can set either to its own selection). I thought that Profile was the name given to a particular naming string and was used as a quick way to call up a given naming string. There must be something I don't understand.

Happy New Year all.
    dbarnby

dBpoweramp Guru

Just in case you really want to know: Playback > Order > Random
    OK, cheers JH.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi dbarnby. It will take a new morning and some coffee before I tackle your questions. I'll have a try in the morning. Heading out for dinner and drinks now!

dBpoweramp Guru

It probably won't be a surprise to you that my real suggestion would be to leave the album titles as they are. But changing the ALBUM tag would be rather easier than dealing with yet another tag.
    I think I will probably leave things as they are to be honest. It seemed like a good idea at the time but I can predict its going to involve more donkey-work, which I can do without!

Plus, in the new year, I want to crack on with either my Pop or Classical collection.

dBpoweramp Guru

I don't see why this is necessary. Using my record store example, once you find The Beatles in the "B" section, all the albums will be there. It's the same in your FLAC library. For me, changing titles this way adds more work and makes the results more difficult to read quickly.
    One factor which might possibly cause some inconsistencies is when you have an album which features a 'title track'.

For instance, I have an album (by Miles Davis) called 'The Man With The Horn' which has a track also called 'The Man With The Horn'. If I was to change the album to 'Man With The Horn, The' and left the song titled as 'The Man With The Horn', then it might cause inconsistencies.

I have quite a few albums which would fall into this category.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    One factor which might possibly cause some inconsistencies is when you have an album which features a 'title track'.

For instance, I have an album (by Miles Davis) called 'The Man With The Horn' which has a track also called 'The Man With The Horn'. If I was to change the album to 'Man With The Horn, The' and left the song titled as 'The Man With The Horn', then it might cause inconsistencies.

I have quite a few albums which would fall into this category.
    I like Jailhouse's example. Once I find the artist, all the albums will be there. Consequently I see no need for the ALBUM SORT tag. Seems like overkill. But then again, I don't even use ARTIST SORT, so I'm not likely the best person to opine on this.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    I like Jailhouse's example. Once I find the artist, all the albums will be there. Consequently I see no need for the ALBUM SORT tag. Seems like overkill. But then again, I don't even use ARTIST SORT, so I'm not likely the best person to opine on this.
    Yes, ALBUM SORT is something I am going to avoid.

I use ARTIST SORT on every CD though.

dBpoweramp Guru

Radical!!

Can Foobar be configured to ignore the The in, The Beatles, or do you need Artist Sort to achieve, The Beatles, as The Beatles, but displayed in Bs?

Try saying that after New Year's "celebrations"!

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Can Foobar be configured to ignore the The in, The Beatles, or do you need Artist Sort to achieve, The Beatles, as The Beatles, but displayed in Bs?
    Depends on the component e.g. Facets component has an Ignore leading ''The'' when sorting option.

IMO (not being a foobar2000 expert), global sort tag support in foobar2000 components is the one thing that lets it down.
    Last edited by mville; 12-28-2017 at 11:33 AM. Reason: added my opinion on foobar2000

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Oggy View Post
    Radical!!

Try saying that after New Year's "celebrations"!
    I dunno. I let The Beatles, The Who, The Rainmakers, et al, congregate in the Ts.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by mville View Post
    Depends on the component e.g. Facets component has an Ignore leading ''The'' when sorting option.

IMO (not being a foobar2000 expert), global sort tag support in foobar2000 components is the one thing that lets it down.
    Thanks, mville. Ignore leading "The" when sorting option, really should be available in all player's software. Such a simple solution, makes life so much easier.

dBpoweramp Guru

I dunno. I let The Beatles, The Who, The Rainmakers, et al, congregate in the Ts.
    Guess I still think in terms of flicking through records in shops. I have over 100 artists whose name is prefaced with The, and some folks would have several hundred: that's a lot of T's to wade through

Again, choices!
    Last edited by Oggy; 12-28-2017 at 12:30 PM.