title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jailhouse
    dBpoweramp Guru
    • Sep 2016

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Originally posted by monsterjazzlick
    I have a few Jazz groups with names beginning the the word 'The' (eg. 'The Mahavishnu Orchestra'), and so this is something I need to address.
    The only time I have ever seen The Mahavishnu Orchestra as the artist name is on The Lost Trident Sessions, and that only on the spine; the cover art shows 'Mahavishnu Orchestra,' and I tagged Lost Trident Sessions that way as well.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
      dBpoweramp Guru
      • Jul 2017

Originally posted by Jailhouse
      The only time I have ever seen The Mahavishnu Orchestra as the artist name is on The Lost Trident Sessions, and that only on the spine; the cover art shows 'Mahavishnu Orchestra,' and I tagged Lost Trident Sessions that way as well.
      Hi JH,

The recording of 'The Inner Mounting Flame' states, on the front cover, 'The Mahavishnu Orch.'. But the recordings 'Birds Of Fire' and ' Visions Of The Emerald ...' state 'Mahavishnu Orch.'. And all of the spines state 'Mahavishnu Orch.'. I am not sure if the vinyl formats differ from the (my) CD versions?

In any event, I am tagging all of their recordings as: 'Mahavishnu Orchestra, The'.

I have heard of the 'Lost Trident ...' but never actually listened to the material. I believe there is a story behind it in that all of the band members fell out during the sessions?

Perhaps you can kindly assist me with something, please - as you obviously like the music of the M.O. I am ripping 'Birds Of Fire' at the moment and the CD (and Wiki, and other online sources) state that the album was recorded at two locations: Columbia Studios (NY) and Trident Studios (UK). I would really like to know, please, which specific TRACKS were recorded at which STUDIO? This is because I tag each track individually in this particular regard.

Cheers,

Paul
      Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-03-2017, 02:19 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
        dBpoweramp Guru
        • Jul 2017

JH, I found this, which states that '1000 Island Park' was recorded at CBS. Though it mentions 'Electric Lady Land' as well as 'Trident' studios?! Cheers, Paul

The Mahavishnu Orchestra

Birds Of Fire (CBS KC 31996) US No.15 / UK No.20

Rec: Trident Studios, London, 8/72 & Electric Lady Studios, New York, 10/72
        Rel: 3/1/73

Prod: The Mahavishnu Orchestra [with Ken Scott]

John McLaughlin (gtr); Jerry Goodman (vn, va); Jan Hammer (keys); Rick Laird (bs); Billy Cobham (dr)

Note: A quadrophonic mix was released on LP in the USA in 1973 as CBS CQ 31996. A single coupling &*8216;Celestial Terrestrial Commuters&*8217; / &*8216;Open Country Joy&*8217; was released in the USA, Japan and Spain, with unique picture sleeves in the latter two territories and the sides reversed in Spain.

One track on the LP, &*8216;Thousand Island Park&*8217;, was recorded at CBS Studios, New York.
        Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-03-2017, 03:25 PM. Reason: Quotation

Comment

• Jailhouse
          dBpoweramp Guru
          • Sep 2016

Hi JH, The recording of 'The Inner Mounting Flame' states, on the front cover, 'The Mahavishnu Orch.'.
          Well, I'll be damned--so it does! And 'Mahavishnu Orchestra' on the spine. I wonder, who makes these decisions?

Perhaps you can kindly assist me with something, please - as you obviously like the music of the M.O. I am ripping 'Birds Of Fire' at the moment and the CD (and Wiki, and other online sources) state that the album was recorded at two locations: Columbia Studios (NY) and Trident Studios (UK). I would really like to know, please, which specific TRACKS were recorded at which STUDIO? This is because I tag each track individually in this particular regard.
          I'm sorry, but I'm on the last page of the list of people to ask about information of this kind, quite possibly at the bottom. I pay little attention to it.

Comment

• garym
            dBpoweramp Guru
            • Nov 2007

Well, I'll be damned--so it does! And 'Mahavishnu Orchestra' on the spine. I wonder, who makes these decisions?
            Always somewhat odd. For example, early on "Pink Floyd" were known as "The Pink Floyd"
            Click image for larger version

Name:	20139784_10154773843582308_7272865178007165932_n.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	293640

And then there is Eagles (the actual name on album covers of the band better known as "The Eagles") But "The Beatles" were never just "Beatles". But "Grateful Dead" is correct, not "The Grateful Dead"

Comment

• Jailhouse
              dBpoweramp Guru
              • Sep 2016

Originally posted by garym
              "Grateful Dead" is correct, not "The Grateful Dead"
              However, to confuse matters further, the band is often referred to as "the Grateful Dead" (with a small-t "the"). Even their website says it's the "Official Site of the Grateful Dead."

I'm sure that someone, somewhere, refers to The The as "The."

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                dBpoweramp Guru
                • Jul 2017

Hi JH,

I suppose it's a little bit like people (in Liverpool at least!) who say: "I'm going to the Asda"!

I'm sorry, but I'm on the last page of the list of people to ask about information of this kind, quite possibly at the bottom. I pay little attention to it.
                It's OK mate. I thought I would ask on the off chance of you knowing. I have posted the question on another forum now, thanks.

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                  dBpoweramp Guru
                  • Jul 2017

JH,
                  I'm sure that someone, somewhere, refers to The The as "The."
                  You mean (eg.): "I listen to the The Grateful Dead"?

lol
                  Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 10-03-2017, 08:41 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

• Jailhouse
                    dBpoweramp Guru
                    • Sep 2016

You mean (eg.): "I listen to the The Grateful Dead"?
                    I'm sure more than one Deadhead has said exactly that.

Of course, I'm referring to the band The The. There must be at least one person using the "<band>, The" Artist Sort with a library entry of "The, The."

Comment

• Oggy
                      dBpoweramp Guru
                      • Apr 2015

Of course, I'm referring to the band The The. There must be at least one person using the "<band>, The" Artist Sort with a library entry of "The, The."
                      I may have, but the file may be infected!

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                        dBpoweramp Guru
                        • Jul 2017

Hi,

I just found another John McLaughlin CD to rip. I forgot about this one. It's by the 'One Truth Band'.

I am going to tag it the way same as his 'M.O.' band: 'One Truth Band, The'.

Paul

Comment

• garym
                          dBpoweramp Guru
                          • Nov 2007

Hi,

I just found another John McLaughlin CD to rip. I forgot about this one. It's by the 'One Truth Band'.

I am going to tag it the way same as his 'M.O.' band: 'One Truth Band, The'.

Paul
                          As an aside, my foobar settings and my other server/player settings allow me to tell it to ignore the "The" when sorting by alphabet. So I don't have to do anything to make sure that I find "The One Truth Band" under "O" in any listing/browsing. See pics:

Name:	CropperCapture[1].jpg
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	293642

Name:	CropperCapture[2].jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	293643
                          Last edited by garym; 10-04-2017, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                            dBpoweramp Guru
                            • Jul 2017

Hi,

I have a question regarding ALBUM_ARTIST, please.

I have been tagging a certain way but today I am wondering if I should have used a different protocol, in this instance.

I ripped a CD by Santana and John McLaughlin called: "Invitation To Illumination". It is a JOINT CD (ie. collaboration):

For ARTIST and ALBUM_ARTIST I typed: 'John McLaughlin & Carlos Santana'. For ARTIST_SORT and ALBUM_ARTIST_SORT I, again, typed: 'John McLaughlin & Carlos Santana'. Personally, I like the way this data appears in Foobar:

Name:	San_McL.jpg
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	293641

However, I dare say that some might prefer to use - for ARTIST_SORT and ALBUM_ARTIST_SORT - (something like): 'McLaughlin, John; Santana, Carlos'?

I ask because this is the first CD I have copied which is a collaboration; and I do have small a handful more (eg. 'Chick Corea & Bella Fleck' - "The Enchantment") to rip ...

Cheers,

Paul

Comment

• monsterjazzlick
                              dBpoweramp Guru
                              • Jul 2017

Originally posted by garym
                              As an aside, my foobar settings and my other server/player settings allow me to tell it to ignore the "The" when sorting by alphabet. So I don't have to do anything to make sure that I find "The One Truth Band" under "O" in any listing/browsing. See pics:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]1725[/ATTACH]
                              [ATTACH=CONFIG]1726[/ATTACH]
                              Thanks Gary,

So you do nothing (regarding the word 'The') during the ripping/tagging process; and instead just leave it to your media-player (through the way you have configured it to interpret such data) to handle any terms such as 'The', 'La', etc?

Cheers,

Paul

Comment

• garym
                                dBpoweramp Guru
                                • Nov 2007

Thanks Gary,

So you do nothing (regarding the word 'The') during the ripping/tagging process; and instead just leave it to your media-player (through the way you have configured it to interpret such data) to handle any terms such as 'The', 'La', etc?

Cheers,

Paul
                                Correct.

Comment

Working...

]]>