title
Products            Buy            Support Forum            Professional            About            Codec Central

Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 303839404142 ... LastLast

Thread: RE: Ripping Level Question (help?)

dBpoweramp Guru

Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by monsterjazzlick View Post
    Hi,

This album features four trios, each playing two tracks (totalling eight tracks):

The name of the album is (rather thoughtlessly!) the name of each pianist:

"Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Keith Jarrett, McCoy Tyner"

How, please, might one approach the tagging of such an album; in terms of Artist, Album Artist and Compilation?

The material features work which is either previously unissued, or else otherwise issued on (separate) albums by their respective Artists.

I still interpret the CD as being complete as whole because the title does not include terms such as 'Best Of', 'Collection', or similar.

Cheers,

Paul
    I'd list it as a compilation with "Various Artists" for the Album Artist tag (as I always do) and put their names in the Artist tags. To me, the combination of newly- and previously-released songs is still a compilation.

dBpoweramp Guru

Question Re: Ripping Level Question (help?)

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    If Wikipedia is correct, Corea is the only one of the four who played on all four tracks. Vitous and DeJohnette played bass and drums, respectively, on tracks 1 and 2, and Konitz played sax on tracks 3 and 4. For that reason, I would make "Chick Corea" the album artist. For the Artist tags, I would list Corea, Vitous, and DeJohnette for the first two tracks, and Corea and Konitz for the other two. The album would therefore be listed with my other "Chick Corea" albums, while the actual lineup for each track would be displayed on-screen during playback.
    Thanks JH,

Yes, that's true. Corea is consistently appearing Artist.

I just took a listen and:

Track 1 = Corea, Vitous, DeJhonette,

Track 2 = Corea, Vitous, DeJhonette,

Track 3 = Corea, Konitz,

Track 4 = Corea, Konitz.

I ordered "Vol. 2" off eBay this morning and from what I can gather, Corea plays on all 3 tracks here also.

The reason I put Jack DeJohnette as Album Artist was because he was the 'organiser'.

Cheers,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-22-2017 at 02:20 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by Jailhouse View Post
    I'd list it as a compilation with "Various Artists" for the Album Artist tag (as I always do) and put their names in the Artist tags. To me, the combination of newly- and previously-released songs is still a compilation.
    OK, thanks a lot. I will have a play around with that. Cheers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

Because, on my Sony Walkman (which has since been returned to Amazon), the ';' (semicolon) separator did not work as it should, I was advised to use the '/' instead. For example, for a 'Producers' tag I might type: Teo Macero / Miles Davis'; or for a 'Label' tag: Legacy / Columbia. In other words for all these types of tags I have used this legend.

For Artist Sort and Album Sort, I have used the ',' (comma). So: 'Davis, Miles' or 'Coltrane, John'.

Do you think this is OK, please? My searches in Foobar are successful and without issue.

Cheers,

Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Hi,

Because, on my Sony Walkman (which has since been returned to Amazon), the ';' (semicolon) separator did not work as it should, I was advised to use the '/' instead. For example, for a 'Producers' tag I might type: Teo Macero / Miles Davis'; or for a 'Label' tag: Legacy / Columbia. In other words for all these types of tags I have used this legend.

For Artist Sort and Album Sort, I have used the ',' (comma). So: 'Davis, Miles' or 'Coltrane, John'.

Do you think this is OK, please? My searches in Foobar are successful and without issue.

Cheers,

Paul
    ; or alternatives are for multi-value tags. Commas in sort tags are just separating first and last name. These are two differerent things. It all depends on what your players will or will not recognize. Just test on your players.

dBpoweramp Guru

Quote Originally Posted by garym View Post
    ; or alternatives are for multi-value tags. Commas in sort tags are just separating first and last name. These are two differerent things. It all depends on what your players will or will not recognize. Just test on your players.
    Gary, So you could have a situation where you tag your albums a certain way, but you have to live with the fact that not all of your players will recognise/handle the texts in an identical manner? Cheers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Chick Corea;Jack DeJhonette;Lee Konitz;Miroslav Vitous
    I am kind of wondering if I should have used your method or not. So using a semicolon instead of a hyphen.

But, as I say, Foobar is handling it OK, and the Sony Walkman has been sent back to Amazon for a refund ...

dBpoweramp Guru

Gary, So you could have a situation where you tag your albums a certain way, but you have to live with the fact that not all of your players will recognise/handle the texts in an identical manner? Cheers.
    Yes. Or have to edit tags.

dBpoweramp Guru

Yes. Or have to edit tags.
    Would you say the Foobar is pretty much universal in regards to how it handles dBpa tagging, please? Or is it more unique? Cheers.

dBpoweramp Guru

Probably, but don't really know.

dBpoweramp Guru

Cheers Gary, So you use a comma (,) for Artist Sort and Album Sort? Paul

dBpoweramp Guru

Cheers Gary, So you use a comma (,) for Artist Sort and Album Sort? Paul
    I don't use sort tags. But if I did I would use comma. Nothing else would make any sense.

dBpoweramp Guru

I don't use sort tags. But if I did I would use comma. Nothing else would make any sense.
    Cheers Gary,

Fair enough if you don't use them. Pointless having something you don't need! But you would use - if you wanted to tag MULTIPLE Producers or Labels etc - semi colons (;) to separate their names? eg.:

(PRODUCER) Reggie Lucas; Pete Cosey

(LABEL) Verve; Polydor

Whereas I have used:

Reggie Lucas / Pete Cosey

Verve / Polydor

Thanks,

Paul
    Last edited by monsterjazzlick; 09-29-2017 at 03:20 PM. Reason: spelling

dBpoweramp Guru

Cheers Gary,

Fair enough if you don't use them. Pointless having something you don't need! But you would use - if you wanted to tag MULTIPLE Producers or Labels etc - semi colons ( to separate their names? eg.:
    (PRODUCER) Reggie Lucas; Pete Cosey

(LABEL) Verve; Polydor

Whereas I have used:
    Reggie Lucas / Pete Cosey

Verve / Polydor

Thanks,

Paul
    yes. I use ;

dBpoweramp Guru

yes. I use ;
    OK, cheers Gary. If I am mostly going to use Foobar, and quite possibly purchase a Amazon Fire Tablet (as the faulty Sony has been returned), then would you bother (if you where I!) to change all of my '/' to a ';'? Paul